Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Partial kashering for Pesach/Can I freeze them for Pesach?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 12:52 pm
OK, here are double-questions on Pesach cooking!

1. Do you kasher a part of kitchen, or do the whole thing in once?
I'm considering kashering meaty sides (ovens, sink, stovetops) and
maybe a bit of countertop (or just cover temporarily) so I can get
started with food preparation several weeks before. Or would it
complicate things?

2. Does anyone cook in advance and freeze the following?
matzo balls
vegetable from chicken soup (carrots, onion, parsnip)
haroseth (I do cooked ones, with dates/apples/oranges/nuts)
broccoli kugel (broccoli, eggs, matzo meals)
pesach cake (matzo meal based)
matzo rolls/matzo bagels (those baked balls with matzo meal, oil, and LOTS of eggs)?

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 1:00 pm
I know someone who kashers their kitchen weeks before, cooks all the food in a few days,freezes and undoes it and then cleans as usual, the whole house.
Chomtz is batel on erev psach. Thats why some ppl. only cook beforehand.
I think you can freeze everything mentioned. b'hatzlacha!

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 1:04 pm
My MIL uses a big toaster oven and an electric burner so she can cook away from the kitchen a few weeks before Pesach. She just covers everything around and cooks in a bedroom LOL. Yes, it all goes in the freezer. She has 2 freezers so she changes over the big one first and then gradually the small one over the fridge.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 1:06 pm
I kasher my kitchen a few days before Pesach and do all my cooking then. I wouldn't start in with partially kashering. Could lead to trouble (for me). Actually, my husband doesn't let me cook when there is a crumb of chometzdik food in the house.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 1:09 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I kasher my kitchen a few days before Pesach and do all my cooking then. I wouldn't start in with partially kashering. Could lead to trouble (for me). Actually, my husband doesn't let me cook when there is a crumb of chometzdik food in the house.

Yeah I was going to say I think the kitchen is risky, just too much going on.

In theory if I had a spare room or like MIL no kids around, cleaning a bedroom KLP and cooking their is probably easier. It doesn't seem the bother though. I'd just plan to finish kashering my kitchen earlier if the cooking was stressing me out.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:03 pm
Before I got my pesach kitchen installed, I would set up an area somewhere in the house (NOT anywhere near the kitchen) with my oven/stove and a covered table. I cooked a load of food to freeze like that; it worked very well and was really the next best thing to having a pesach kitchen.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 8:42 pm
I have set up my Pesach crock pot on my (foil covered) clothes dryer in the basementand cooked meat or chicken with sauce. Worked great. I wouldn't do it in the kitchen, to easy to mindlessly make a mistake.

chabadshb

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:00 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Before I got my pesach kitchen installed, I would set up an area somewhere in the house (NOT anywhere near the kitchen) with my oven/stove and a covered table. I cooked a load of food to freeze like that; it worked very well and was really the next best thing to having a pesach kitchen.

I would like to do that, but I was thinking where do u wash the dishes???

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:28 pm
This will sound nutty, but you could wash dishes in large plastic dish tubs inside the bathtub... I wash my refrigerator shelving in the bathtub (hey, they fit!), so why not dishes?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 4:42 am
Upstairs in the bathtub. it was a real pain in the neck. we had a not-so-funny incident once at about 3am one morning, we had been juicing oranges and were just finishing up, so tired we could barely see straight. My hubby was putting the boxes of juice out into the freezer whilst I took the juicer upstairs to wash up, dangling it all over the bath trying to not fall in, and laying it out on towels. Got back downstairs only to discover another unopened crate of oranges Rolling Eyes Had to start all over again Mad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics