Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Preparing your toddler for a new baby

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 10:20 pm
DS will be 26 months old when he becomes a big brother. We know he's having a little brother.

What can I do to make the transition easier for him?

I've done this before but girls are very different then boys and in our case, my daughters were WAY more mature then he is right now, and they were younger when they became big sisters...

He is by no means gentle, but he is very loving and sweet and is having a huge thing for dolls right now, which I am encouraging.

I guess I have 2 concerns. He is a big kid, even for his age, and he's VERY impulsive and doesn't realize how strong he is and I fear for the baby's health.
My second concern is that he is my baby, and he knows it. He is VERY attatched to me right now and I am so scared he's going to be scarred...

anon

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 10:26 pm
One small tip I heard:

When he comes to visit you in the hospital, make sure you are not holding the new baby. Introduce him to the baby for the first time with the baby in the bassinet and NOT in your arms. Whoever brings him should warn you in advance that they're about to come, so that you have time to put the baby down before he sees you.

You can also have a gift prepared for him when he's introduced to the new baby.

lech lecha08

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:05 am
What anon said is definitely true. My then 2 yr old visited in the hospital (I was there 3 days) and burst into tears since I was holding the baby. When we came home, my father took her to the park beforehand so we came home, I nursed and put her to sleep in the bassinette. When my older one came home, she sat on my lap and we did "make nice" and "gentle touch" to the sleeping baby.
Also there's a great book- "I'm a big sister/brother" by Joanna Cole. My toddler learned a lot from it--- the baby can only drink milk, asking parents before playing with the newborn, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics