Home

"normal" yiddish names
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

R&RMom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 10:50 am
How about Zelig!
Back to top

btMOMtoFFBs




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 11:59 am
Not so normal, but I like Elky (Elka) or Ella.
Back to top

bbmom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:01 pm
Here are names I thought off the top of my head. I personally know at least one person for each name. Normal is relative - I used to think the name Chienna was the weirdest name on the planet, but now I know so many Chiennas that it sounds like a normal name to me.

Girls names:
Aida/Aidel
Basha
Baila
Breina/Breindel
Chasha/Chasya
Chienna
Cherna
Chanel (ch as in challah)
Doba
Debrusha
Dvonya
Elka
Ella
Fraida
Faiga
Fruma/Frumet
Golda
Gittel/Gita/Guta
Gnendel
Kaila
Kreina/Kreindel
Liba/Luba
Lifsha
Mushka/Mussia
Masha
Maryasha
Perel
Paya
Shterna
Sima
Slava
Tshera
Tzila
Vita/Vitka
Yenta
Zlata
Zelda
Zisa/Zissel

Boys Names
(I realized as I was making this list that yiddish boys names are much less common then girls names - or at least I know way fewer men/boys with yiddish names then women/girls. Many common "yiddish" names for boys are actually nicknames for hebrew names for example Mottel, Yankel, Fitche, Itche)

Abba
Ber (Berel)
Faitel
Feivel
Fishel
Heshel
Hersh/Hershel
Isaac
Isser
Leib
Mendel
Manis
Sender
Volf/Wolf
Zelig
Back to top

cassandra




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:34 pm
Abba isn't yiddish. Every other amora is named Abba-- it's aramaic.
Back to top

chaylizi




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:36 pm
Sima is also aramaic
Back to top

bbmom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:40 pm
cassandra wrote:
Abba isn't yiddish. Every other amora is named Abba-- it's aramaic.


Funny because I wasn't sure - I added it in last.

Kikavu - interesting I didn't know that, I always assumed that since it looked yiddish it was. Would the name Sima fly in Israel or would it also be confined to the chareidi community?
Back to top

cassandra




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:44 pm
I have know a bunch of MO Simas, no Simmys though.
Back to top

bbmom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:58 pm
cassandra wrote:
I have know a bunch of MO Simas, no Simmys though.


I do too. I also know a few MO Faigy's though...
Back to top

cassandra




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:14 pm
I don't, at least not ones that were born to MO parents and grew up that way.
Back to top

GetReal




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:19 pm
bbmom wrote:
I used to think the name Chienna was the weirdest name on the planet, but now I know so many Chiennas that it sounds like a normal name to me.


What does Chienna mean?
Back to top

chaylizi




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:22 pm
didn't friedasima say that she named her dd the hebrew equivalent of frieda- because she wasn't hot on frieda & she didn't want to saddle a girl in her community with a name like sima?maybe I got it wrong.

I know about sima because it's my mother's name. my grandfather was always makpid to spell it with an aleph at the end because it's an aramaic name. my mother had this whole story about a teacher who was harrassing her because she spelled her name wrong.
Back to top

bbmom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:33 pm
kikavu wrote:
didn't friedasima say that she named her dd the hebrew equivalent of frieda- because she wasn't hot on frieda & she didn't want to saddle a girl in her community with a name like sima?maybe I got it wrong.

I know about sima because it's my mother's name. my grandfather was always makpid to spell it with an aleph at the end because it's an aramaic name. my mother had this whole story about a teacher who was harrassing her because she spelled her name wrong.


I was under the impression that she didn't mind Sima but didn't want to use it alone and she didn't want to give her DD the name Fraida...

Cassandra I only know a few but I guess there are exceptions to every rule Wink
Back to top

imamama




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 10:43 am
Quote:
Abba
Ber (Berel)
Faitel
Feivel
Fishel
Heshel
Hersh/Hershel
Isaac
Isser
Leib
Mendel
Manis
Sender
Volf/Wolf
Zelig


I think sender is short for alexander
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Names that go with Avraham
by mimimi
20 Today at 9:33 am View last post
Favorite names
by amother
4 Today at 9:22 am View last post
Iso actual "stainless" steel pots and pans set
by amother
3 Today at 9:10 am View last post
Y"T Clothing Finds
by amother
2 Yesterday at 10:07 pm View last post
Two Names
by amother
21 Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:07 am View last post