Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Learning to sew

besimcha

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 5:08 pm
I really want to learn how to sew clothing - any ideas as to how to go about it? Is it possible to learn it from books, or do I need someone to teach me? I can't really spend money on this, so I'm looking for a free or very cheap way to learn. Any input is welcome.

rosehill

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 5:57 pm
There are a few very good books you can get through amazon.com (Singer and Simplicity have good beginner books that come to mind). Also, check out the website www.patternreview.com. In their message boards, there are fantastic tips for sewing, from threading a sewing machine, to sewing a wedding dress.
You will need a sewing machine and some other basics to get started. Once you've read one or both of the books I mentioned, let me know, and I'll help you pick a pattern to start with.
Be very careful, once you start loving to sew, it can be quite addictive!!!

besimcha

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 12:59 pm
Thanks a lot, I'll check them out!

granolamom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 8:21 pm
ask around and see if you can find anyone IRL who sews. maybe you can find someone who won't mind answering basic questions, etc
that's what I did and now this person can't get rid of me. so now not only am I a sewing addict, but I'm a stalker too.
but don't let that stop you...sewing is fun!!

good luck

queen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 8:35 am
sewing is a lot of fun and a great outlet for creativity.
Took professional lessons for many years.... ended up sewing most of my seminary wardrobe, as well as lined shabbos suites.

These days however, embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed I give ALL my sewing to a lady to do, as with a baby my time is very limited, and I'd rather pay someone (who btw needs the $) and have my time for other things.

BUT- If I didn't work, and had solid times in the day- I'd probably sew some clothing for the baby. (dreams are free....no?)

ceo

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:02 pm
I sew. I took lessons for a few years. I must say that I am not fantastic at it, but I have done a few nice things- with the help of a teacher- was able to make myself a few maternity skirts on my own. Learning from a person is the best. Also, "The Complete photo guide to sewing" (from singer) is a great book for a beginner. the photographs are so helpful.

yrs1025

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:06 pm
Does anyone know where I can get some skirt patterns for my dd to sew. She wants to make skirts with pockets, and we can't find any patterns. She has taken sewing lessons and really likes sewing. she also wants to make nightgowns. If you know where we can get patterns, please let me know. Thanks!

eliana

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 3:29 am
I took sewing lessons some years ago - and was able to sew even a winter coat for myself.
Now with my baby twins I am so shaken off anything that is a normal daily routine that it is hard to find time even to sew a button
And recently I was reading Nechoma Greisman Anthology online - I don't know if she did any sewing, but anyway - how could she cope with everything so well - it makes me feel embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed
I definitely need to 'collect' myself and also to start sewing again - it is really a good money saving!
I remember that I could find free patterns in internet, just put in "search" window "free sewing patterns" or "free sewing projects" and you can get a lots of interesting things.

rosehill

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:25 am
I like kwiksew patterns www.kwiksew.com.
For more variety, you can try www.sewingpatterns.com. They have millions of patterns from many different pattern companies, but it can be a little overwhelming.
Burda patterns have nice styles for girls, with a lot of interesting detail, but I woudn't use those unless she is at least at the intermediate level, as the instructions are not great.
I believe there is a pattern Gmach in Boro Park. If that is something that would be useful to you, I'll try to find out more about it.

micki

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 9:06 am
if I can help online- let me know!

yrs1025

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 9:17 am
rosehill wrote:
I like kwiksew patterns www.kwiksew.com.
For more variety, you can try www.sewingpatterns.com. They have millions of patterns from many different pattern companies, but it can be a little overwhelming.
Burda patterns have nice styles for girls, with a lot of interesting detail, but I woudn't use those unless she is at least at the intermediate level, as the instructions are not great.
I believe there is a pattern Gmach in Boro Park. If that is something that would be useful to you, I'll try to find out more about it.

The pattern gmach sounds great, however, I am in Ohio, so I don't think it would work. Sad

rosehill

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 10:27 am
Other than pockets, what kind of skirt does she want to make (full, straight, long, short, etc). What size is she? I'll find you a pattern.

yrs1025

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 12:35 pm
rosehill wrote:
Other than pockets, what kind of skirt does she want to make (full, straight, long, short, etc). What size is she? I'll find you a pattern.

She likes making skirts that are long but not to the ankle (I guess that would be mid calf). She is thin, so we always put elastic in the waist. She is wearing a size 16. She likes to be able to sit on the floor and play with little kids, so the skirt needs to be roomy enough to sit and still be tznius. She is B"H very concerned with dressing tznius. She has uniforms for school, so that is not a problem, but with summer coming, she needs to make skirts that she can wear. She no longer fits into the skirts that she made last summer and they were basic with no pocket and only one seam. She did make one with a kick-pleat and her sister is wearing it now.
Thanks so much for taking the time to find a pattern for her.

rosehill

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 1:01 pm
I searched and searched, and had a hard time finding something in that size range that was appropriate.
How's this one?:
http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fu.....w.cfm
Look for pattern # 2851
It only goes up to a children's size 14, which should be OK if she's thin. SHe can just lengthen the pattern as necessary before cutting into fabric.
If you think she could wear a small adult's size, I could keep looking, and may have more success.

yrs1025

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 1:06 pm
rosehill wrote:
I searched and searched, and had a hard time finding something in that size range that was appropriate.
How's this one?:
http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fu.....w.cfm
Look for pattern # 2851
It only goes up to a children's size 14, which should be OK if she's thin. SHe can just lengthen the pattern as necessary before cutting into fabric.
If you think she could wear a small adult's size, I could keep looking, and may have more success.

She wants inside pockets. She probably could wear a small adult size (she is 4ft 11 inches). Also, she does not wear skirts with slits, so amy pattern that has a slit would need to be roomy enough with the slit closed up.

granolamom

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 1:49 pm
there is a pattern gmach in Katz Fabric in Boro Park...it's in the basement of the trim shop (next door to the fabric store)
at least it was the last time I was there (a year or two ago)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics