Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
To tickle or not to tickle that is the question

willow

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:37 pm
My 3 1/2 month ofd is beginning to be ticklish and has the most delightful laughf when tickled. Someone told me to tickle a baby this young is not healthy for them? Is it o.k or not. Very Happy

willow

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:40 pm
One more qustion. Another person told me not to let her stand b/c her leg muscles are not fully developed yet for that. My dh loves to stand ( with me supporting her of course) and often pushes up from sitting positon. Also when she cries it sometimes calms her. Am I allowed to let her or is it bad for her?

hisorerus

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:47 pm
I'm a bad mommy, so I'd say both are perfectly fine. If the baby is happy, it's probably OK for her.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:54 pm
I must have been a bad mommy also... eeek Smile

My daughter, whom is now 7... walked at about 8 mos, then crawled Wink No worries, sometimes kids know their bodies better than adults

chen

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 1:05 pm
I wouldn't overdo the tickling (laughter from tickling is not really joyous laughter but a reflex response to something that can actually be quite unpleasant). Do YOU like being tickled? If yes, you can mildly do the same--accent on the MILD. And don't keep it up for any length of time.

You can't make a baby do something he can't do. If he's pushing up on his legs on his own, he's ready to push up on his legs. How else will he develop the muscular strength to stand alone? Just make sure you keep a good strong grip on him and don't leave him there too long. If you fold him down and he pops right back up, he's doing just fine.

willow

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 2:04 pm
whew, thank you for your replies. It feels good to knnow that I am not alone.

happyone

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 3:07 pm
No, you are not alone.. we are a bunch of terrible mommies!

imanut

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 6:59 pm
in my husband's family they are very against sitting/standing a baby up before he can sit/stand on his own. they feel it puts pressure on the spine/legs that the baby is not ready to handle.
I had never heard of this and I still don't believe it's true. if anything, I think it strengthens the baby and prepares him to do it on his own.
ditto to chen re tickling.

nehama

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 9:21 pm
I asked my pediatrician about sitting or standing the baby, and he said she'll let me know what she's capable of. If she's happy with it, then there's no problem!

raizy

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 11:44 pm
I am also a bad mommie. my kids were all sitting (proped up) and standing holding onto the crib. before they could have done it themselve. but they all seemed to love it. and they all walked under one yrs old. around 10 to 11 months. so do what is comfortable for you.

Nachisdoll

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:12 pm
Wink my mother in law is extremely against tickling....but I love to...im terribly tickelish and I say stop when it gets too much sooo I tickle my babe for a tickle or two...cuz thats fun...and the standing...my baby is 9 months and loves to stand (for a while already) as far as I know this standing issue is contraversial as is everything in life...but as mentioned I believe our babys know when things are ok...if he/she is comfy standing his muscles are fine...just dont pressure ur baby to do things he/she cant do yet! and darn it you guys are all terrific mommies.... Very Happy

willow

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 3:20 am
Very Happy Thanks for the confidence boost Wink

ChavieK

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 12:38 pm
I think most people are bad parents & play with their babies that way.I know I did with all of mine & thye are fine.My baby has Down syndrome. The physical & occupational therapists started working with him on sitting,standing,cruising....before he was "ready". So we all must be ok doing it too! (Btw he B"H has been doing everything within normal time)

MOM222

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 11:27 pm
The only thing is to remember to develope his hand/ chest muscles.

If you only let him stand and the babys on its back the whole day/night then the feet develope quicker than the hands.

They might walk early, but there hand coordination could have been better.

So just make sure he also lays on his stomach.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 11:52 pm
my son starts laughing if I as much as change his undershirt! he's so ticklish!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics