Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you a student?

are you currently going to school/taking college courses?
yes - full time student  
 25%  [ 7 ]
yes - part time student  
 21%  [ 6 ]
been there, done that, glad it's over!  
 53%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 28

supermommy

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 12:39 am
Just want to find out how many of us here are going to school. If you do can you please share how you manage? I'm going to school part time for now and I'm just about to quit. Crying Any chizuk or good suggestions?

supermommy

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 12:40 am
Sorry
I had an option for NO but for some reason it wasn't included

Secbeb

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:52 am
Yup - full time with 2 kids - one of which was born mid-semester of spring '06. I would never have gotten through the semester without the huge support of my family and my Dh's family. One more semester to go and I'll G-d willing be finished with nursing school. No suggestions on how to do it except (this is horrible and what I did) don't be a "Mommy" as a priority. Be a student - and when the semester is over - be the best mommy you can be. I couldn't have finished the semester if all I thought about was how I was missing being a mommy. I let it all hit after the final. Good luck to you and I hope you have a lot of support because you really need it. I don't know if that made any sense. Oh well.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:49 am
Full time student, but since it's the 4th year I only have 3 days a week. Moreover I'm a newlywed, so absolutely nothing to do except university...

nicole81

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:15 am
yup. I work full time and go to school part time. I attended school through pregnancy, childbirth, and another pregnancy now. and in the fall I will be going full time again. it's definitely hard, and it has taken me a long time, but I just try to keep the end in sight. two years ago, I thought I would never finish. now I can say that after the fall semester, I will only have one class left.

I try to balance my class schedule with a good mix of easy and hard classes each semester. if I'm taking something particularly difficult, I try to add an elective that I know I can ace with minimal effort.

does your school offer any classes online? what about the option for you to take classes on a pass/fail basis? these are options my school offers that I have never taken advantage of, but now that I learned about them, they're going to help me graduate in a year.

BrachaC

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 7:01 pm
I'm working on my M.S.W. "part time" but now I'm not sure how much more full time it could be. I interned at a hospital 24 hours a week and took classess two nights a week. I just figured out that I saw my 5 1/2 year old for about 5 hours a week between Monday morning and Friday afternoon! It was tough! (Semester is over for now).

Tips: Do what you need to do to stay sane (exercise, books etc).
Cleaning help
Support from your kids and hubby. My kids think it is so funny that I also go to school, and have a book-bag, pack a lunch etc. They know when they have to go out with dh on a Sunday that I probably have a paper to write...
Realize that each semester is only 15 weeks and you will just take it one semester at a time, and each week of each semester at a time. My mantra through life has been "I can do anything for two minutes" which helped me through labor, moving, difficult work situations... it works for school also- this is temporary. You won't be in school for the rest of your life.

Also, as hard as it is try not to feel guilty. If you are doing this for all the right reasons you will be a better wife and mother for it in the end. I remember breaking down one day and calling my mother that "my baby (she was almost two at the time) is going to be in therapy her whole life because I went to social work school." When she was a baby I carried my text books in the car with us, because she inevitably fell asleep in the car and I would just sit in the car with her and read, and when she got bigger and I had to work during the day it could get tense at "crunch times." Now she goes to school and my kids go to bed at 6:15 PM so I do a lot of work at night.

Flowerchild

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 7:12 pm
I am in school full time and I am working on my BA for special ed. for now my classes arent so hard or time consuming, if I have to study my husband will help with our son, or actually he will help me study if I need help. but I hate school which is ironic since I want to be a teacher lol. I cant sit in class and its so much harder when you have a family because your life started but when your in school it feels like your life is backwords am I making sense? so I am just counting days, months, till I finish, I have god willing another year if I really trully work hard and push for it to finish. so thats the bright side. I am just glad this semester is done but I have to take summer classes Crying oh well

chavamom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 8:52 pm
I went back to nursing school when I was pregnant with my 5th (and finished after she was born). Get as much help as you can, even if you have to take loans for it. At that point I had young children who were in bed by 7 every night and then I studied all evening. I'm not sure I could do it at this point with big kids who can stay up as late as me, need homework help, etc.

happyone

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:26 pm
been there, done that .. and BOY am I glad it's over!

1234abcd

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 10:03 pm
Started

Last edited by 1234abcd on Tue, Jul 22 2008, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

batya_d

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 1:38 pm
DH and I are currently facing this decision... I'll be in grad school full time for the next 2 years, starting in the fall, and we don't want to wait so long to start our family, but we just don't know how it would be possible to make it work, since we'll both students. In my program, it's not an option to take a semester off, or to take only 1-2 classes each semester.

If we could convince our moms to each babysit one day a week, perhaps. But money would be tight too, since we'll be living only on what we can each pull in part time, pending some miracle from Hashem. Oy!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics