Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What foods constipate?

youngmom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 1:58 pm
My daughter has major constipation and I'm trying to figure out what it is. She's had no bananas but has lots of other fruits (what to expect says to increase in giving fruits) and veggies.
Does oatmeal constipate? She has that for breakfast? Rice (cakes) doesn't, right?
Any thoughts/advice would really help.

rivki

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:00 pm
make sure she is drinking a lot of water

youngmom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:02 pm
She does drink quite a bit from her sippy cup.
I'm also still nursing a few times a day.

rivki

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:06 pm
white starchy foods like rice (cakes) will. make sure all grains are whole, brown rice, whole wheat, etc. you can get brown rice cakes. look at the nutrition facts - get stuff with higher fiber content. stay away from apple juice - stick to the water.

happy2beme

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:07 pm
Actually, I think rice (cakes) does constipate.
grape juice helps & so does apricots (she can nibble on it just be careful & watch over her the entire time she's eating it)

flippinout

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:10 pm
a la prunes!!!! (they come with a guarentee, what goes in must come out!!! Statituary rights not affected!!!)

m&m

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:40 pm
I have the same problem with my daughter. Prune juice definitely does the trick. BeechNut also make prune baby food. Rice in general can constipate, I think. Don't know about oatmeal though.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:46 pm
Could be a dairy allergy; we had that and didn't know it and DD was so sick all thetime.....

youngmom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:55 pm
she's not eating any dairy. I took her off of that.
I'll stop giving rice cakes and see what happens.

supermommy

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:30 pm
rice and bananas will constipate as will nuts, pears, apple sauce, and cooked carrots. Both my children have suffered from constipation, I know how aggravating it is to watch a little baby or child be in such pain. I give them prunes whole grains and any fiber I could think of. Watermelon is tasty and can also do the trick. Most important of all like someone mentioned earlier is to make sure she drinks enough! If she drinks only water try offering diluted juice to encourage her to drink more and offer it often. Good luck.

m&m

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:03 pm
I'm actually thinking that my daughter might be allergic to milk. What other symptoms besides constipation did your daughter have? Besides for constipation, my 14 month old daughter can be quite kvetchy. That can just be her disposition or....????

youngmom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:04 pm
No, No. She's great all day but starts screaming when she's making.It's definitely constipation. I'm working on it. I just bought her prune juice.

queen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 8:31 am
how old is your daughter OP?

Mine is 7 months and started crying BITTERLY when going to the bathroom recently, and her stools HAVE been more solid/hard. Doctor had me buy "Gentelease" formula and I'm switching her onto it right now. Hoping this will help.

Check with your doctor Question
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics