Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Heavenly Donuts
1  2  3  Next

Ronit

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 1:28 am
I made the most delicous homemade donuts today.

I did them all custard, but you can also fill them with jelly or just make a hole in them.

Ing:

8 C flour
2 eggs
3 yolks
4Tb dry yeast
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C oil
2 1/2 C warm water

Directions:

Place yeast, sugar, water in mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix on low speed for 7 minutes.

Cover & put in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.

Oil your counters with ALOT of oil. (no flour)

Instructions how to form the donuts: I used a ice scream scooper (so they'd all be the same size) to scoop out dough. Then you stretch it out a bit in your hand (basicly flatening it & spreading out like a pizza crust). Fill with a Tb of custard. Pull all the ends together & pinch it closed like a ball. Place on oiled counter with the "knot" hidden on the counter, & the smooth side up. Pat a bit down so it's a pancake look vs a ball - because it will still rise.

Allow another 30 min to rise.

Meanwhile heat a deep pot with plenty oil until it is 360 deg (candy thermometer).

Fry 3-4 donuts at a time, so that the oil retains heat level.

They become ready really fast. As soon as it starts browning, it needs to be flipped & then a min later taken out to drain.

Mocha Icing:

1 3/4 C confection sugar
1 tsp light corn syrup
2-3 tsp instant coffee
3Tb boiling water

Mix with a blender stick. Dip donuts into icing & drizzle w/ baking choclate.

Tip: Stick a spatula into the oil so it is oily & use it to drop the donuts into the pot, so they don't become misshaped. And that you don't burn your fingers like I did.

Last edited by Ronit on Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mishie

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 2:44 am
Wow! looks yummy and professional!!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:54 am
oh they are pretty indeedy ...

the question is - are they fully cooked inside or gooey & raw ... when I pre-filled doughnuts before cooking (back a few years) - they were raw ...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:59 am
Yummy!

Ronit

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:09 pm
If you fry it until fully brown it will not be raw.

Ronit

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 1:28 am
I just looked this up, because I want to make them again this year.

I am bumping it up, in case anyone is interested.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 1:34 am
Thanks! Looks good!

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 2:00 am
Do you take challah with 8 C of flour without a bracha? I never make mezonot with that much flour, so I'm not familiar.

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 4:01 am
Thanks looks heavenly!!!

freidasima

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 4:53 am
I know this is rather apikorsik vis a vis chanukah but can you bake them instead of frying them? How do they come out? How does the filling come out?

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 4:55 am
freidasima wrote:
I know this is rather apikorsik vis a vis chanukah but can you bake them instead of frying them? How do they come out? How does the filling come out?

(gasp!)

Ronit

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 8:49 am
freidasima wrote:

I don't know. Never tried. Chanukah only comes once a year. LOL

There was a recipe in the Kosher Inspired (came along with the Mishpacha) for baked donuts. Those you fill after baking though.

Growing

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 3:05 pm
what if you dont have a candy thermometer?

mammele26

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 3:27 pm
Thanks for bumping this up, Ronit! Just what I was looking for! A doughnut recipe that someone can actually 'vouche' for and a way to fill them without the injector because I haven't yet been successful with that. Thanks so much, you brightened our chanuka!

imabima

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 8:24 pm
Thank you for this recipe! I made them tonight and they are so good!
Just FYI, I made them with out filling, instead shaped like 'o's by hand, and sprinkled with powdered sugar and cocoa mix. It made about 35 full-sized donuts.

Enjoy and chag sameach!

Ronit

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 1:32 am
I made them tonight too & they came out yummy & so pretty. I would upload pictures, but my filter won't allow it.

Imabima, I also got 36 full size donuts. I did some plain with a hole. I iced them with a orange juice flavored icing & topped it with sweetened cocunut flakes. The rest I filled with custard.

Growing, I would suggest buying a candy theremometer as it's really inexpensive. Think 2-3 bucks. You'd be surprised how long it takes for the oil to heat up. Over a 1/2 hr on high heat.

I didn't take challah. AFAIK, it's to little to take.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 2:22 am
Sorry, I'm not allowed oil or margarine or shortening of any kind...so I substitute applesauce for oil always and bake things...or just go without.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 9:28 am
freidasima wrote:
Sorry, I'm not allowed oil or margarine or shortening of any kind...so I substitute applesauce for oil always and bake things...or just go without.
Try the doughnut cupcakes in the other thread.

momo4

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 11:05 am
I got very excited now, I've been wanting to make donuts but didn't have the push.... Now I got it! This recipe looks so good and detailed

Just a question or 2, about how long should I give myself for these, and which flour do I use, can I use the all purpose or does it have to be challah flour (I use just for challah)?

Ronit

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 11:18 am
I used all purpose.

It doesn't take that long to form, fry, & frost, but you need to wait for the dough to rise twice & all that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics