Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Raw eggs and mayonaise

batya_d

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:15 pm
I grew up with a mother who was afraid of salmonella, and told us not to eat the cake batter, etc, etc (of course, we always did!)

Lots of salad dressings and sauces call for raw egg yolks, like caesar salad and a lovely soy-dijon asparagus sauce that was featured in the New York times today.

Then it occured to me, MAYONAISE is made with raw eggs too. A lot of my favorite recipes call for mayo, and I like it on sandwiches better than mustard. A coworker just told me that she never uses mayo for this reason exactly.

Is there a real risk of salmonella from mayonaise?

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:27 pm
Only if it's homemade. The bought stuff is pasteurized precisely because of that.

batya_d

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:30 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
Only if it's homemade. The bought stuff is pasteurized precisely because of that.

Phew!! Thanks for sharing that knowledge.

Then I would stil be hesitant to make a dressing or sauce that called for raw eggs, although there is a cooking method called "coddling" that supposedly reduces the risk of salmonella: you boil the egg for just a minute before use, it heats it up just enough to kill some of the bacteria.

red sea

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:38 pm
If you check the eggs before you use them - even a hairline crack is no good, then wash well with soap & very warm (too hot will crack the shell open) water its safe to use. I think homemade mayo lasts 2 weeks if properly refridgerated.

If someone prepared anything like ice cream or whatever without doing this I would not eat it either.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:40 pm
You can also get egg substitutes.

batya_d

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:12 pm
red sea wrote:
If you check the eggs before you use them - even a hairline crack is no good, then wash well with soap & very warm (too hot will crack the shell open) water its safe to use.
\

Just washing the outside of the egg will help? Interesting... If the bacteria live on the shell and enter the egg during cracking, this would make sense, but I always thought the salmonella lived inside the egg.

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:44 pm
I heard that you must never wash uncooked eggs, because they are porous and any diseases on the outside will go inside.

red sea

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 6:57 pm
Salmonella as far as I know is a bacteria uniquely provided compliments of digestive waste, not from the actual food. If even the tiniest microscopic trace gets eaten, there you go. Thats why a handful of summers ago I recall there was a small outbreak from cantaloupes that were stored somewhere near cows until shipment or s/t like that.

The advice for prepping eggs to use raw was told to me by a dr. and how can shells be porous if they are one material that never decomposes.

chen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:40 pm
There is no connection between porosity and decomposition. Unglazed earthenware is porous as a sieve but will last forever unless it's smashed, as will genune untreated marble and many other materials.

Where did you get the idea that eggshell doesn't decompose? Not only does it decompose beautifully, it is used as fertilizer in organic gardening. You can plant small seeds indoors in cleaned eggshells filled with soil, then plant the whole thing, shell and all, in the garden when the weather gets warm.

realeez

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:42 pm
You can buy pasteurized eggs.

I make a great caesar salad recipe w/o raw eggs - it does have mayo.

red sea

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:46 pm
I actually did read somewhere that the shells do not decompose, you can smash them to smitherines but they wont mush if you dump them in a decomposting bin. It was in the context of a garden decorating article.

red sea

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 8:03 pm
I did google the porous part and see that you are correct, but different sources differ in whether the only way to contract salmonella is from the shell or not. Also I did find articles that said if you leave a whole egg shell empty via a pin hole alone, it will stay intact and not decompose, but I see how thats great for gardening, it aireates (def sp error) the soil, cracks from roots and does not leach any foreign materials into the soil.

So if you come over for a meal at my house I'll serve you only store bought mayo, is it a deal Wink ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen