Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Taking toilet paper
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 18 2009, 12:39 pm
so I had the urge to take a roll of toilet paper from a public bathroom yesterday ... I have none at home and I figured well it's for public consumption and well ... What

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Fri, Dec 18 2009, 1:10 pm
ok, but stay away from MY bathroom though. we have a strict limit of 3 squares per person.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 18 2009, 3:34 pm
Stealing is wrong, as well as baal tashchis.

freidasima

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 11:57 am
Green there are people at my place of work who I think take those large industrial rolls of TP home, they are newlyweds and have no money, a few of us have noted it and we don't say anything, just make sure that we put more paper in the ladies room after they come out...it's not nice but understandable for them even though technically it is ossur to do something like that.

If you can afford to buy your own.....don't even think of taking from a public place. Besides everything else, every time someone flushes, minute particles of excrement from the toilet splash up if they haven't closed the lid and you know what the splash on? The toilet paper roll!

YUK YUK YUK.

At home too BTW, So close your toilet lid when you flush.
This was a public service announcement.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 12:57 pm
When you can, return the roll, and you will have a mitzvah! Very Happy

LeahW

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 3:11 pm
My first reaction was, is this some halacha I never heard of, like taking challah?

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 4:38 pm
DH says you can also return the monetary value of the toilet paper that was taken. (To the company or person who bought the toilet paper...don't just randomly leave some change in the bathroom...)

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 7:45 pm
Shame on you - I believe it is absolutely ginayvah. The toilet paper is there for you as a courtesy from the public place and not for you to take as a "freebie" to your home and use on their expense. What a Chilul Hashem you would be making if anyone caught you - and I am sure you would be absolutely embarrassed if the owner, another person or even one of your relatives saw you doing that.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 19 2009, 10:18 pm
so maybe I can drop some pennies into the toilet and make a wish that I have enough monies for toilet paper ...

p.s. none would go to waste - down with the waste maybe ...

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 1:13 am
Greenie, is this post really about needing money? How can we help you; can we get you in touch with a gemach or something?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:51 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Greenie, is this post really about needing money? How can we help you; can we get you in touch with a gemach or something?

what you want me to borrow money for toilet paper ... or do they have a special toilet paper gemach ?!?!?!

merelyme

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:56 am
I don't see a confession here as to geneivah - did I miss that line?

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:28 pm
There is always cloth toilet paper...
http://living.wallypop.net/wipes.html

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:32 pm
greenfire wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

what you want me to borrow money for toilet paper ... or do they have a special toilet paper gemach ?!?!?!

Mamash an idea Idea

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:54 pm
speaking of bal tashchis ... what really got me thinking is how many of yous take toilet paper for granted ?!?!?!

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 1:29 pm
freidasima - thanx for the visual because now I can't get the thought outta my head as to where would one hang a rather large roll of toilet paper - and how on earth do they sneak it out ... even a diaper bag is too small ... What

msctwg

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 2:03 pm
what an interesting thread! What about my 3 yr old daughter she takes the whole role for one wiping!!!!!
is that considered ganivah also? and how do I go about reimbursement??? take it out of her college fund (that doesn't exsist) or when she gets older and has her own house do I go to her house and use her toilet paper?? I don't know about everyone else but we go through toilet paper like ketchup! my husband brought home 1 week ago about 35 pkgs of toilet paper. we have used more then half!! so....greeenie, I think I understand where you are coming from. sometimes it is hard to keep up w/the demand.
p.s. b.c we've had such situations arise, I make it a point of hiding a secret role. I make sure to have my own stash. and then I can watch everyone beg for their 2 alloted squares. (one time it happened to us a 3 day yomtov, with guests and everyone was relying on my 1 secret stash.)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 2:08 pm
msctwg wrote:

p.s. b.c we've had such situations arise, I make it a point of hiding a secret role. I make sure to have my own stash. and then I can watch everyone beg for their 2 alloted squares. (one time it happened to us a 3 day yomtov, with guests and everyone was relying on my 1 secret stash.)

You are too funny. And you must have a house full of girls. It's all boys by us, so when there is a toilet paper shortage DH knows who to blame. embarrassed

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 2:13 pm
hm how can you only blame girls ... boys sit for hours on the bowl ... or do they forget to wipe Confused

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 12:15 am
and the tp saga continues ... which public bathroom will I be in tomorrow ... Scratching Head
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics