Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Lice
1  2  Next

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 2:16 pm
Today I realized that my daughter had a full head of lice I never knew that a baby can get it and that bad. I think it came from another kid that she plays with. how can I get it all out with out hurting her so bad?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 2:46 pm
I would ask the pediatrician.... You don't know which of those lice shampoos aren't healthy for babies....
GOOD LUCK and may you NEVER have to deal with this maka again!!

proudmom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 3:11 pm
supermom told me that it is the eggs not the bugs.

rydys

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 1:14 pm
This sounds gross, but it works. cover her head with margarine (massage it into her hair, scalp) and then a plastic shower cap overnight. That will kill the lice. After that (and several shampoos) there is no way to get rid of the dead lice/nits except to comb them out with a nit comb.

supermom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 2:36 pm
the comb didn't work her hair is too fine. I ending up taking them out one by one. she cried a lot ( I cried with her. ) Baruch Hashem she is clean and yes hopefully never again. the bugs never bothered me they come out with a comb it is the eggs that I hate taking out. even with a comb they all don't come out.

Rivka

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 6:30 am
My son had lice at one point and I used Kincare shampoo, I think it's Israeli, but it's not toxic and has no chemicals in it, just herbal really and it works by suffocating the lice and then you wash it off and comb out the lice.
With nits I had to pull them out on by one too, not really a wonderful experience, but better get the egss out before they hatch.

Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 7:06 am
unfortunately my daughter had this maka already 3 times Crying . the 3rd time was when we also had a baby in the house. when a baby has lice (mine didn't B"H!!!) you MUST contact a pediatritian, not treat on your own account. Even the herbal treatments may be too agressive for baby's!
Good luck, and may it be the very last time!!!

Rivka

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 8:53 am
How old would you say baby is? I am talking a 1½ year old. He got it from creche.

Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 8:55 am
actually, last time my eldest had lice (and I still itch all over just thinking about it) my baby was a new born, so that's why I asked the dr. but I would still ask when a child is so young.

hatzlacha!!!

Henya

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 10:56 am
Help!! I found lots of nits in my 2 year olds' hair. I put in margarine, coverd it with plastic and removed all the nits, or so I thought. Today I found around 20 more nits!!!! I put all her linens & blankets in the washing machine with hot water, then into the dryer. I put all her stuffed toys in the dryer. Is there anything I'm not doing?

juggler

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 11:54 am
I recently read that people drenched the hair in olive oil which has some enzyme that is supposed to help. Never tried it but those who did claimed it works, good luck.
Your two year old may be picking it up from somewhere, school or a sandbox, see if you can identify and somehow eliminate the source.

Henya

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 12:10 pm
she doesn't go to school yet. But I do have a small home daycare. 3 children, my daughter included. it is so annoying. I thought she'd be spared at least till she went to school!

chavamom

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 1:44 pm
It's quite possible you missed a bug or those 20 nits. That is why you have to comb and check every few days for about 10 days after an infestation - you miss one bug and you can have a head full of nits in days.

Don't worry about anything that doesn't touch your child's head. In other words, you don't have to wash every stuffed animal in the house. Lice can't live for very long off the body, they can't jump, they actually have a pretty hard time moving around off of human hair (their legs are adapted to walk on hair).

Ima-to-angels

Post Mon, May 30 2005, 7:37 am
I sympathize - we suffer from this all the time and there's really no avoiding it, because if the child/person who first has them isn't treated right away, they just go on re-infecting everyone else.

A few tips: Its really important to get all the eggs/lice out. There are a number of medicated shampoos (check with dr. re age of child) and use a nit/lice comb. Only way to get them out as they stick to the hair shaft.

We use olive oil as it makes the eggs/lice slide out and its good for the hair - but it doesn't kill the eggs, so it has to be repeated a few times till all the eggs are out.

My cousin's daughter suffered really badly for years, in the end she used a mix of olive oil/vinegar. Covered her her dd's hair in the stuff, left it on all night, combed it through the next morning and she hasn't been reinfested since....

Even when your child is clean, use a nit/lice comb at bath time with conditioner to comb out their hair, it helps to get out anything that might be hiding in there before it becomes a big problem.

They seem to go for certain blood types. If one of my kids gets lice, usually my boy, you can guarentee I'll catch it but his sister may not...
And I've also heard that its linked to anaemia and lack of VitC. No scientific evidence to back that up though....

Aish

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 7:37 pm
wow. I just went through his myself. glad to see im not the only one! though I still wouldn't wish it upon anybody Crying
anyway, I smeared my babys head with mayonnaise, because that suffocates the lice. left it on for 2 hours then washed it out and rinsed with vineger. little ones cant sit for so long while you pull each nit out and the comb doesn't go through baby hair. its to thin. so I just cut chunks of hair out. I would find a nit, and cut that hair shaft. along with a bunch of others Confused but I cant expect her to sit still for so long. plus I had to scratch the lice, bugs, off her scalp. she was simply infested. it was horrible. and baffling. and then I continue to check all the time.

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 9:33 pm
I learned this from an "expert" in Brooklyn: Put alot of conditioner on dry hair. This will immobilize the lice and make it very easy to comb through. Then use a lice comb (the best are with long teeth) and comb each strand of hair. Rinse,dry and check for any nits. Repeat for a few days and spot check for 2 weeks. Also wash linen and anything that came in contact with hair.
For prevention I've heard of ppl. using rosmary oil. (a drop behind the ears) everyday. Or using dr. Fisher shampoo which has rosmary exctract in it.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 10:03 pm
Mother of 2 - u r right. We (my 2 kids & I & I was pregnant) had it big time last year. Conditioner - PANTENE works the best. Put tons of it on DRY hair. Then comb it out with an expensive metal lice comb on white tissues. Keep combing till all the pantene comes out. May have to do this a few times, but believe me it works. A proffessional taught me this. Then do it a few times a week for a few weeks & then slow it down little by little. Good luck.

Expecting

Post Fri, Sep 23 2005, 2:39 am
wash her hair every time with shampoo with rosemarie and use conditioner, its easier to pick the nits that way. I end up checking my sons head while he is nursing and then I comb after baths sometimes

lucky

Post Fri, Sep 23 2005, 4:34 am
Am I really wierd that I enjoy picking lice? B"H My kids didn't have it for years, but when they did, I actually enjoyed cleaning their heads.

technic

Post Fri, Sep 23 2005, 8:15 am
lucky ugh!...looking 4 a new career? Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics