Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Salmon Teriyaki
Previous  1  2

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom -- I wanted to thank you. I made this for a sheva brachos this past Shabbos lunch. It was a big hit.

I skewered think slices of salmon (looked like a satay beef or chicken skewer) and cooked them and then put the sauce over.

I crisscrossed the skewers on a plate (black) and put some angel hair pasta in one section and some snow peas in the other and drizzled it all with more sauce (I made extra) and sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
Sounds beautiful!
Mazel Tov on the Sheva Brachos!!

I forgot -- I wanted to ask you -- did you ever make this and have the garlic turn fluorescent green when you cooked the salmon? I prepared the salmon per directions with crushed garlic, salt & pepper and sprayed with cooking spray. I then baked it at 450 for only 8 minutes since the pieces were very thin. The salmon was cooked, but the garlic was bright green! It tasted fine and when the sauce was over it you couldn't tell, but before that it really looked strange.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:44 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom -- I wanted to thank you. I made this for a sheva brachos this past Shabbos lunch. It was a big hit.

I skewered think slices of salmon (looked like a satay beef or chicken skewer) and cooked them and then put the sauce over.

I crisscrossed the skewers on a plate (black) and put some angel hair pasta in one section and some snow peas in the other and drizzled it all with more sauce (I made extra) and sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
Sounds beautiful!

I forgot -- I wanted to ask you -- did you ever make this and have the garlic turn fluorescent green when you cooked the salmon? I prepared the salmon per directions with crushed garlic, salt & pepper and sprayed with cooking spray. I then baked it at 450 for only 8 minutes since the pieces were very thin. The salmon was cooked, but the garlic was bright green! It tasted fine and when the sauce was over it you couldn't tell, but before that it really looked strange.
I did have this happen!
I don't know why it happens though. I know there is some sort of chemical reaction with garlic sometimes.
Did they all turn out this way? What did you do? embarrassed

Maybe I should edit the recipe and suggest putting garlic in the sauce, or using garlic powder on the salmon.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jun 25 2012, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Sounds beautiful!

I did have this happen!
I don't know why it happens though. I know there is some sort of chemical reaction with garlic sometimes.
Did they all turn out this way? What did you do? embarrassed

Maybe I should edit the recipe and suggest putting garlic in the sauce using garlic powder on the salmon.

Yes, they all turned out that way (and I made 3 separate pans that cooked at separate times using 2 different heads of garlic). The sauce concealed it mostly, and when I plated it, I turned them upside down so the garlic was on the underside in case it wasn't totally covered. No one seemed to notice. It looked beautiful and tasted great. I was just kind of shocked when I took it out of the oven. It might be better to put the garlic in the sauce instead, though that way it stays raw; here it is cooked -- that might effect the final flavor.

I remember seeing another thread here recently about garlic turning color (I don't remember what color but I don't think it was bright green) in a pickle recipe.

yihyetov

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 8:47 pm
does anyone know if this salmon is supposed to b cooked covered or uncovered?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 8:52 pm
I cook it uncovered.

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 3:10 pm
Great recipe. I used pre-cut Salmon tidbits and Yamasa soy sauce. I don't like La Choy either. I also used Eden unrefined sesame oil. I made it for a friend who is kimpertunim. Everyone loved this. Thank you

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 3:49 pm
In terms of the green, whenever I bake my farfel and use fresh crushed garlic, it ALWAYS turns green. Dunno why.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Rosemarie wrote:
Can I use canola oil? I don't have sesame oil

It won't have the same taste as it will with the sesame oil. It'll probably be okay, but sesame oil adds a lot to the flavor.
OOT Bubby is right. You really need toasted sesame oil here. It's what makes this recipe so perfect.
Come on over and take some from me. Smile Seriously, I don't mind.
It really should say toasted. I'm going to edit the ingredient list to reflect that it's toasted sesame oil.

Fabulous wrote:
ra_mom, this looks delicious!! is toasted sesame oil the same as sesame oil?

Toasted sesame oil is the brown version with the strong flavor. That's the one you need here.
Not the yellow light flavored oil.

I wanted to make this and bought toasted oil, but didnt realize that it only has an OK. is that a good enough hechsher for oil, or is there is company that makes sesame oil with a better hechsher? The company is Eden Selected.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:09 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

I wanted to make this and bought toasted oil, but didnt realize that it only has an OK. is that a good enough hechsher for oil, or is there is company that makes sesame oil with a better hechsher? The company is Eden Selected.

Do you generally have a problem with this kind (non-meat) of an item with an OK? All major hechsherim say it is okay. Unless maybe you only use chassidish hechsherim?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics