Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Can you freeze leftover gefilte fish?

sa613

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 10:12 pm
I have almost a whole loaf of gefilte fish left from shabbos. I stuck it in the freezer but will it be ok when I defrost it? I once heard that it's best to reboil it. About half of it is in one piece and there's a few pretty thick slices too. Any advice? It's a shame to let it go to waste. BTW how long can you keep it in the fridge?

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 7:21 am
Don't reboil it. It'll be fine when defrosted, although not quite as good as fresh. I keep fish up to three days in the refrigerator.

sped

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 8:15 am
I freeze it and it tastes just fine defrosted without cooking first. The texture may change slightly - a bit more crumbly.

est

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:26 am
I found that its better to freeze it without the juice or it continues to soak it up and ends up tasting watery.

sped

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:52 am
Yes - I freeze it without the liquid too.

CutiePatutie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:52 am
I freeze my leftover fish all the time and it taste fine when it defrosts, no one can tell the difference. we happen to like our fish juicy, so I do freeze it with a little liquid and it great when it defrosts. the consistency might change a bit, but its so slight I doubt anybody will notice the difference. Also keep in mind every company is diff, so if the company you are using now isnt too great after its frozen, try experimenting with a different company.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:56 am
yup you can, I do it all the time

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 10:30 am
I especially bought a large pot to boil 2 or 3 rolls at a time. I freeze them cut int halves or thirds and then I have fish for a long time.

each week, I defrost, slice, and heat with tomato sauce and sometimes vegetables. my family really likes it !

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 12:18 pm
Yes, I forgot to add to freeze it without the sauce.

Yael

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 9:09 am
I do make my own gefilte fish (loaf style) and can attest that it can me prepared + baked + cooled + wrapped and frozen for 2 weeks ahead of time (then thawed slowly in the refrigerator) Very Successfully.

(Posted on behalf of a non member)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 2:50 pm
I do it all the time, and I've never had a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics