Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Problem with Slow Cooker settings

batya_d

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 3:45 pm
I got a new Slow Cooker for my wedding, the kind that has settings ranging from 4-10 hours, all of which switch automatically onto "keep warm" when done.

Most slow cooker recipes and cholent recipes I've found call for 10 hours on "low." Without fail, whenever I have made cholent or stew on this setting for the stated 10 hours, the food is not done. (Meat is not tender, potatoes are not soft).

The solution I have found for my cholent, at least, is to cook it on High (4 hours) before candlelighting, and then the keep warm setting does the rest of the work through the night and shabbos morning, and it comes out just fine.

But I know that cooking on low (10 hours) should really have the same results, but it doesn't! Why won't my slow cooker cook thoroughly when it's on "low"??

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 5:13 pm
make sure the meat is not frozen. Honestly it also depends on the crockpot, I use the high and the keep warm only on my slow cooker.

batya_d

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 5:27 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
make sure the meat is not frozen. Honestly it also depends on the crockpot, I use the high and the keep warm only on my slow cooker.

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one who relies on High and keep warm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen