Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Looking for delicious sephardic cookbook

anon

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:02 pm
I'm looking for a sephardic cookbook that has easy and delicious recipes. I'd like a sephardic type version of "What's Cooking?". Simple and tasty. Are there any tried and true classic sephardic cookbooks that you can wholeheartedly recommend?

TIA!

Boys"R"Us

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 1:17 am
My friend who is sephardic, recently got one produced by the sephardic school in my community. She said it is great. Let me know if you want more info on it!

Debbie

anon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 9:57 am
it the type where mothers of students each send in their favorite recipes? Those do tend to be good. Yes, I'd like more info on it, thanks a lot!

Boys"R"Us

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 10:19 am
"Legacy", A collection of Sephardic and International recipies.... put together by the Mom's Association featuring a collection of amazing recipies from the Moms and friends of Or Haemet...

I've sent a message to my friend whose kids go there? It is in Toronto - r u in US?

greeneyes

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 2:22 pm
A Gourmet Legacy - put out by Shaare Torah

This cookbook is a mix of sephardic and non-sephardic recipes, and I like it a lot. (There are plenty of sephardic recipes.)

anon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 2:36 pm
Boys"R"Us wrote:
"Legacy", A collection of Sephardic and International recipies.... put together by the Mom's Association featuring a collection of amazing recipies from the Moms and friends of Or Haemet...

I've sent a message to my friend whose kids go there? It is in Toronto - r u in US?

Yes, in New York. Thanks again.

anon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 2:42 pm
Boys"R"Us wrote:

Also, do you mind asking her why she likes it? I like to get reviews before buying and I can't find it online.

clew

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 2:43 pm
Aromas of Allepo is a beautiful Syrian cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Aromas-A.....r=8-1

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:54 pm
OK, here is the info:

You can call Enny Cohen for info on the cookbook... she will be able to help you... 416-522-3669

My friend says it is great because it is a collection of a lot of peoples favourit recipes!

I think I will buy one for myself too Very Happy

HTH,
Debbie

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:53 pm
Any type of "Sefardi" in mind?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 6:10 pm
For standard syrian, I think Jennifer Abadi's Fistful of Lentils is very user-friendly and yummy.

For wider sephardic cooking including Indian/Iraqi/Persian/tunisian/Moroccan/Buchari/Balkan etc, Claudia Roden's "Book of Jewish Food" (has very good historical readings as well) or Mrs Angel's Sephardic Holiday Cooking are easy to follow. Copeland Marks' Sephardic Cooking is also good though a bit on academic and very detailed side.

viznitz

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 8:04 pm
anon, can you read spanish?there is good stuff published in mexico and argentina, I need to find exactly where to get it on-line. there is sth fantastic in potuguese called "cozinha judaica" (jewish coking )that a cousin of mine wrote. it has both askenazim e sefaradim recepies, the majority is sefaradim, tells a little about the history of the food.

anon

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 9:04 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be looking into them.

Viznitz, I don't speak spanish, but thank you anyway Smile

I was looking for a broad range of sephardi style cooking, not just one type, so I'll be looking into the ones mentioned by Boysrus and Mrs Bissli.

Hopefully others can gain from this thread as well! Who isn't looking for something new and different? Actually, I'm somewhat cautious about using different ethnic spices, but it'll make DH happy, so I'll give it a shot Smile

saboni

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:43 pm
Levana Kirschenbaum has a wonderful cookbook that has many Sephardic recipes. You can see it on Amazon here: Levana's Table.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 6:52 am
Check Milka Belgrado Passigli for Italian cuisine (mainly Italian with Sefardi and Ashkenazi inspiration/elements).

Check the Sephardic recipes here. I happen to think my family dishes are quite delicious Wink
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....49635
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....49633
Leek patties too, but I can't fine mine http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....75975 you can do chicken patties too.

You can google also Jewish whatevercountryyouwant food. If you search for less common countries you'll discover new stuff for sure.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 6:59 am
anon wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be looking into them.

Viznitz, I don't speak spanish, but thank you anyway Smile

I was looking for a broad range of sephardi style cooking, not just one type, so I'll be looking into the ones mentioned by Boysrus and Mrs Bissli.

Hopefully others can gain from this thread as well! Who isn't looking for something new and different? Actually, I'm somewhat cautious about using different ethnic spices, but it'll make DH happy, so I'll give it a shot Smile

most sefardi cooking I've tried is not very spicy, just different. I have the book of jewish food. the recipes are nice, and there is a wide range of all different cooking from all over the world, and I love the little histories about each community.

Soph

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 7:52 am
the best I know I Aromas of aleppo, of poopa dwek, amazing book...
and for you viznitz and all u spanish readerst the best ever sefaradi books are the panamenian books...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics