Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Someone put popsicle sticks in the toilet.....

challi

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:13 am
And then flushed to see what would happen Rolling Eyes

kids...

Now it won't flush properly. We've had the toilet overflow 4x till someone fessed up. I really really really don't want to have to call a plumber since that usually costs a small fortune. Is there anyway I can fix it on my own? by my watimate there are probably 3 or 4 stuck in there.

Ok now laugh. Wink

challi

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:15 am
p.s. watimate should be estimate. Sorry for the typo.

fiddle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:15 am
lol Smile kids,.................

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:15 am
if you cannot reach it with your hand ... get a toilet snake and go for it !!!

next step for a do it yourself person - would be to turn off the water and take off the toilet and see if you could retrieve them that way ... if not ...

well what can I say - either way it's a crapola job ...

challi

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:18 am
I know..... kids

I still can't fathom what is so exciting about a couple of popsicle sticks. Greenfire where can I get a snake. Is it even worth it?or should I stop hemming and hawing and call the plumber already.

I have:

plunged
stuck a hanger in there
used my hands

I think they are deep in there somewhere

Ughh.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:27 am
My kids have also put popsicle sticks inside the toilet too. I was able to push them through using a snake. They are about $50 or so. Thats probably what a plumber would first try anyways. I just looked it up online and its called a toilet auger.

Last edited by Pickle Lady on Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:28 am
challi wrote:

I still can't fathom what is so exciting about a couple of popsicle sticks.

maybe they were trying to make a poopsicle Twisted Evil

challi wrote:

Greenfire where can I get a snake. Is it even worth it?or should I stop hemming and hawing and call the plumber already.

depends on your handiness and your money ...

a snake can be rented at a home depot rental center ... there are different types of snakes as well ... call for an estimate from the plumber and compare price to rent + labor to that of the plumber's price ...

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:32 am
I am telling you to go to you local hardware store and get the toilet auger. Try it. popsicle sticks will break from the pressure of the auger and be pushed right through the plumbing system especially since they are now wet and soft. You will be surprised because it should only take you are 5 -10 minutes to use.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:37 am
toilet auger - toilet snake - same difference ... that was what I meant ...

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:52 am
greenfire wrote:

toilet auger is more of specific for what she needs.

She shouldn't need a plumber. This should do the job for less money and she will have it for the future. I bought and its saved me atleast a few hundred in plumber fees, time and stress. I watched a plumber charge me $80 for spending 2 minutes with that tool.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:55 am
straight to the point woman

or man who takes more time to say the same thing

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:58 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:

toilet auger is more of specific for what she needs.

She shouldn't need a plumber. This should do the job for less money and she will have it for the future. I bought and its saved me atleast a few hundred in plumber fees, time and stress. I watched a plumber charge me $80 for spending 2 minutes with that tool.

I simply called it a snake instead of an auger ...

besides if it's really blocked - you will really need a snake and some muscle to clear out the main line ...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:01 am
I have a cpuple of suggestions for you.
1. The correct term for hand snake is a toilet auger. If you could get a hold of one it will do the trick, assuming that the popsicles are still in the local pipe. If the shower or bathtub (or anything else in the house) is backing up as well, the popsicles are already in the main sewer line.
2. If you can not get a hold of a toilet auger, you could use a shop vacuum. This is not a regular vacuum, this is called a shop vacuum that has a very powerful suction. This could also help.
3. If nothing works and if you live in the Monsey area, I can recommend a very good sewer and drain cleaning company that I was very . Its called KwikFix Sewer. Their phone # is 888-594-5349. I obviously have expecience with sewer problems and I like this company very much. They are heimishe yidden and very reliable.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:12 am
amother wrote:

1. The correct term for hand snake is a toilet auger.

a hand snake is one that does not use electric ... a toilet snake is an auger but also used by hand ... since you seem to want to get technical ...

also - it can take some time before a full fledged back up reaches the upstairs waterways such as the sinks & showers ... chances are if the popsicle sticks were flushed down recently - they're still stuck and not yet on their way down the main sewage pipes ...

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:19 am
Greenfire I emphasized the term toilet auger just because if she went into a hardware store that they give her that tool instead of something else more expensive. I also highly doubt it went into the main line. Those are good videos that you posted greenfire.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:10 pm
always thought it was called a snake-never heard the term auger before. mine cost around $20 and has saved me hundreds. I've fished pencils, toothbrushes, even a matchbox car with it.

definitely worth the investment-especially if u plan on keeping kids around!!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 8:54 pm
May the repair go smoothly and inexpensively

Now, setting my timer for how long it'll take to see a thread on most interesting thing a kid stuffed in the toilet. (No, wait, someone's going to send in a link to the umpteen variations of this thread already.)

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
May the repair go smoothly and inexpensively

Now, setting my timer for how long it'll take to see a thread on most interesting thing a kid stuffed in the toilet. (No, wait, someone's going to send in a link to the umpteen variations of this thread already.)

go start it - sounds FUN !!! Twisted Evil

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:50 pm
Okay, my ds made this easy for me. Today, he decided that his toy boat wanted to sail in the toilet. After I took it out, he put in his pony tail holder, which got flushed down. The toilet is not stuffed, though.

challi

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 11:58 pm
Yeah for dh who saved the day. After trying for close to 2 days to unstuff it it is finally working again!!

He won't tell me what he did I think he thinks it'll gross me out lol.

At least its back up and working, now on to the next kid disaster...

DS painted the wall...

with a grape ice pop and its not coming out!

I should write a book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics