Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Offering to buy a house that isn't n the market
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 7:37 am
I've been looking to buy a house now for a couple of years, but nothing I've looked at is what I want. There is a house in my neighborhood that I like the location, and the neighbors. Its owned by a non-religious person and its on an otherwise frum block.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the man. My dh knocked on the door last week, not even knowing what to ask, but no one answered the door. Is it best to knock on the door, or send a letter of intent. What would I write in such a letter? Here is something I wrote, but I dont know if it makes sense.

I'm interested in buying a home in your area. I have young kids attending school right there, and would love to find a home to purchase close by.
If you are interested in talking about the possibility of selling, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you,

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:12 am
as someone who spent over a year looking for the perfect home in the neighborhood we wanted to settle in, MVHO is that this letter is in very, VERY poor taste.

Ask a real estate agent what they think, but in general, I think there is a certain etiquette to home buying. this is not like walking over to someone and saying, "I like your shoes, where did you get them," its like walking up to someone and saying "I like your shoes, can I buy them, and you can go home barefoot."

homes cost in the hundreds of thousands to the millions. it is the biggest purchase most people ever make in their life. likewise, it is the largest SELL most people make in their life. if they were thinking about selling, there would be a "for sale by owner" sign (since those are free, for sale w/ agent x costs $ and effort) on their lawn, to get an idea of anyone being interested.

just because they are "not frum" and its a "frum block" doesnt mean they want to move!! that is the funniest thing I have heard on imamother in a long time, sorry to be so blunt.

my grandparents live in Boro Park, and there are two families on their block who are not jewish. they have both lived there for 50 or 60 years. Just because the block is "all frum" except for them, doesnt stop them from putting up xmas decorations, or enjoying their neighborhood. and rightly so, since they are nice neighbors, courteous, and have lived there for a very long time.

londoner

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:20 am
We frequently received letters like that and ignored them because we had no intention of selling. Personally I think it's fine and I know friends of ours who have bought a house that way. I'm not sure where the other poster is coming from but people are often open to this approach as you cut out the agent's fees. I wouldn't just limit it to one house though but go for all the ones that you like. You don't know who would like or need to move.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:27 am
My parents bought their home this way, and we bought our apartment this way.

We knocked on the door and told them we were interested in an apartment in that building and the adorable elderly couple told us they were going back and forth with the idea for years and were thrilled that someone knocked and gave them that extra push to go through with it. 5 minutes later they were breaking out the plum brandy.

I wouldn't write a letter, I'd just ask. At worst, they say no. Leave them your number, maybe they'll be interested in a year.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:43 am
My in-laws had been talking awhile about selling their house and going back to Israel. One day at shul someone came up to my fil and said that they were new in the area and did he know anyone who happened to be selling their house. Spur of the moment, he said "We are." Within 2 months the house was sold to these people and my in-laws were back in Israel.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
as someone who spent over a year looking for the perfect home in the neighborhood we wanted to settle in, MVHO is that this letter is in very, VERY poor taste.

Ask a real estate agent what they think, but in general, I think there is a certain etiquette to home buying. this is not like walking over to someone and saying, "I like your shoes, where did you get them," its like walking up to someone and saying "I like your shoes, can I buy them, and you can go home barefoot."

homes cost in the hundreds of thousands to the millions. it is the biggest purchase most people ever make in their life. likewise, it is the largest SELL most people make in their life. if they were thinking about selling, there would be a "for sale by owner" sign (since those are free, for sale w/ agent x costs $ and effort) on their lawn, to get an idea of anyone being interested.

just because they are "not frum" and its a "frum block" doesnt mean they want to move!! that is the funniest thing I have heard on imamother in a long time, sorry to be so blunt.

my grandparents live in Boro Park, and there are two families on their block who are not jewish. they have both lived there for 50 or 60 years. Just because the block is "all frum" except for them, doesnt stop them from putting up xmas decorations, or enjoying their neighborhood. and rightly so, since they are nice neighbors, courteous, and have lived there for a very long time.

the op is not proposing to steal thier house, she wants to BUY it. they can buy a house or apartment somewhere else. and they can say no if they love living there or don't want to move.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:48 am
Quote:

Maybe they are considering the possibility of moving, and I can get in before they actually put up a for sale sign. Whats if someone else approaches them and they say yes...
And by the way, YES, if you ask for the shoes on my feet, for the right price I will sell it to you. I might not take it off my feet, but I can sign a contract to pass it over as soon as I get home to change. Especially if I had the shoes for a while and would love a new pair.

Quote:

Them being not frum wasnt the point, the fact that the rest of the block are young frum families, I think noone else will want to sell, they are the only possible candidate on the block.

londoner

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:57 am
Them being not frum wasnt the point, the fact that the rest of the block are young frum families, I think noone else will want to sell, they are the only possible candidate on the block.

I think that is a slightly blocked view as seen from other people's experiences. Just because they are young and frum and in a neighbourhood you desire does not mean they want to stay there. They might not like the area for whatever reason, be contemplating aliya (or yerida if you're looking in Israel) or have a job or opportunity coming up elsewhere. If you know them personally you can always put the word around that you're looking.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 9:01 am
I think it's fine. You can ask nicely and, as someone said, leave your phone number. It's not like you are harassing them.

Maybe they are thinking of selling. Maybe they have vaguely toyed with the idea of selling but never got around to it. Maybe they never thought of selling but now they have a buyer (and will save the agent's fees and the hassle) they could fulfil their life long dream of moving to Hawaii or the Outer Hebride Islands or Honolulu.

It's like saying 'Would you be interested in selling me your shoes? I'd give you a good price and of course wait till you've had the chance to buy yourself a new pair you prefer.'

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 9:02 am
londoner wrote:
I think that is a slightly blocked view as seen from other people's experiences. Just because they are young and frum and in a neighbourhood you desire does not mean they want to stay there. They might not like the area for whatever reason, be contemplating aliya (or yerida if you're looking in Israel) or have a job or opportunity coming up elsewhere. If you know them personally you can always put the word around that you're looking.

All the neighbors around this house know I like thier block, I looked at a house on that block to buy once, but that specific house I did not like. (blocked view, and more) I actually asked my dh to talk to the next door neighbor to see if they think they are approachable.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 1:35 pm
why don't you knock on the door and start a conversation ... there could be one of 2 answers whether the person is elderly, non jewish, or even frum ...

yes or no

you never know the answer till you ask the question

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 1:42 pm
I know people that needed to buy a house in a specific neighborhood so they knocked on the door of a house they liked, and the people ended up selling it to them.

There's nothing wrong with sending the letter. The worst that will happen is they're not interested in selling. At least you know that you made an effort.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:

This is funny. "Ask a real estate agent what they think." Know any honest real estate agents who will say "That's a great idea, go for it!" Me neither. They want their commission, duh.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:06 pm
thats how my parents bought their house. I dont see what you have to lose by trying, besides a no.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:46 pm
A couple who now live in my area were looking for a home for a loooonnnngggggggggg time. Finally, at her husbands urging, she knocked on the door of the house that really appealed to her (especially the address-613). The lady had been thinking about moving and this made her decision. They paid premium price, but they are very happy with their new home.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 7:16 pm
We had a similar story. We were looking at 3 specific blocks to buy on, and to spread the word called a few people on each block to ask if they knew anyone selling.

The first name we called said they'd be glad to keep an eye out, then called us back the next day and said they were going to put their house on the market; did we want to look at it?

We ended up buying that house.

We have gotten letters from real estate agents before on behalf of their clients wanting to know if we were interested in selling (this was soon after we bought; 2005 which was a high point in the market).

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:36 pm
There's nothing wrong with asking. Some people get insulted though, but the worst they can say is no. I think a friendly conversation in person is better. If you use the letter I would remove the sentence about the kids and school.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:27 am
OP here. Well, I spoke to the guy just now. He was really nice, didnt seem offended that we asked, but wasn't interested in selling. He did however mention 2 other houses, one that hes selling and one his friend. One I already saw and didnt like the other is way to small for my growing family.
Oh well, atleast I tried, if not I would have forever wondered, 'what's if...'

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:54 am
Mitzvah Giraffe wrote:
There's nothing wrong with asking. Some people get insulted though, but the worst they can say is no. I think a friendly conversation in person is better. If you use the letter I would remove the sentence about the kids and school.

How is it insulting? I'd take it as such a compliment.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:03 pm
About the house that is too small: Do you like it & is there room to add on?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating