Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What feeds into Bruriah, Shulamith, MHS, SKA

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:08 pm
I was wondering what elementary schools feed into SKA, MHS, Bruriah, and Shulamith (those types of schools). I know shulamith and SKA both have lower schools but I though girls come from other schools as well. I guess I am somewhat more curious about Bruriah and MHS. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:52 pm
in case anyone is confused by my questions, what I mean by "feed" is what elementary schools do most of the students who attend bruriah, shulamith, MHS and SKA come from?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
in case anyone is confused by my questions, what I mean by "feed" is what elementary schools do most of the students who attend bruriah, shulamith, MHS and SKA come from?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think YNJ girls go to Bruriah.

TzipG

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 2:04 pm
I went to Bruriah ages ago so I dont know how up to date my info is. The local elementary school in Elizabeth (JEC) feeds into Bruriah. Other girls came from Staten Island (JFS, RJJ), Highland Park (RPRY), West Orange (Kushner), Teaneck/Bergen County (YNJ, Yavneh, others I don't remember). There was a Monsey bus and a Brooklyn van. Lots of random small-town NJ communities as well.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 2:07 pm
I heard Shulamith is not having a ninth grade next year.
From what I heard MHS gets kids from all different type of schools.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 2:37 pm
smilingmom wrote:
From what I heard MHS gets kids from all different type of schools.

Can you give examples?

morahaviva

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:20 pm
MHS gets girls from: Manhattan Day School, Breuers, Yeshiva of Spring Valley, schools from Brooklyn which I am not sure of all the names, Yeshiva of North Jersey, Bet Hillel in Passaic, etc. THey only take 50 incoming 9th graders...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 8:31 pm
got it. thanks. any info on SKA? is it mainly halb girls?

slushiemom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 9:17 pm
I went to Bruriah not long ago, and TzipG is right, JEC in Elizabeth is the elementary school for Bruriah (the girls move into the HS building in 7th grade). When I was there, however there was no one community or school that made up the majority of the student body. there were full buses from Edison(where I'm from), Staten Island, Monsey, Teaneck, Passaic etc as well as a few girls who boarded and a few who traveled from bkln or manhattan.

I LOVED bruriah btw, and highly recommend it!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 11:27 pm
how is JEC? is it a strong school? how does it compare to YNJ?
thanks!!

TzipG

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:22 am
well since I went to Bruriah ages ago, my years in JEC were a REALLY long time ago. I as well as all my siblings were happy there. My parents were very happy with us there. The student base was mostly MO with a sprinkling of kids from more yeshivish families, as well as a sprinkling of kids from less-religious homes.

the hebrew subject teachers for the girls were largely shipped up from lakewood, so that does say s/t about the hashkafa they were trying to inculcate. although most kids in my class had tvs in the house, went to movies, did ncsy. I would say 50% of the mothers covered their hair - then again this is going back to the 80's/90's so it could be there is a higher percentage now. most kids were not makpid on cy. classes were co-ed through third grade and then 4-6 we were on a different floor from the boys and didnt really have much interaction. 7-8th grade were already in bruriah.

I know nothing about ynj so I can't compare. but JEC was a solid MO school - not really right wing and not left wing either.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 5:24 pm
What would you like to know about SKA? I was a teacher there recently (moved out of town).

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 9:45 am
My impression was that Bnot Shulamith girls were also feeding into SKA, but as Bnot Shulamith expands, this may no longer hold true.

Gsanmb

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 11:19 am
Bnot Shulamith girls are indeed feeding into SKA (they also have gone on to MDS, TAG, Shalhevet, Central, and Shevach -- but the bulk have been going to SKA).

HALB is the main 'feeder' for SKA, but SKA also gets a fair number of girls from Bnot Shulamith, some from TAG, some from HANC, some from Bais Yaakov of Queens, a few here and there from other places (HAFTR, Shulamith in Brooklyn, etc.). There are recently a fair number (at least five or more a year) coming from Brooklyn (various schools) because SKA fills a hashkafic void there -- a Tzioni school that is also on the serious side, religiously. The school is highly academic (both secular and kodesh) but does focus a tremendous amount of attention and energy on limudei kodesh as well as religious development. It's not a Bais Yaakov (nor is it meant to be, as it's proudly Tzioni) and the school does struggle with some aspects of tzniut, etc. with the girls -- but the girls leave with a rigorous education as well as having had permission (and even encouragement) to ask deep hashafic questions and learn how to learn.

Girls go on to seminaries in EY like Michlala, MMY, Midreshet Moriah, Sha'alvim, Tiferet, and a few here and there choose more 'right wing' seminaries (Darchei Bina, etc.) as well.

Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics