Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Statistic about teens lying to parents

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:16 pm
I just read this:

"90% of teens lie to their parents. At the age of 21 this number jumps to 100%."

Think it's true?

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:29 pm
If they're talking about small lies ("yes mom I've cleaned my room"), I think it is probably true. But not for big lies.

happyone

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:31 pm
Are these statistics in religious circles or in general. Generally, I believe that it's correct. In our circles, I hope the statistics are lower!

Secbeb

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:35 pm
I'm pretty sure 100% is inaccurate to say. First of all, thats a dramatic generalization and there are always exceptions. There are some 21 year olds out there that tell the truth completely to their parents. I'm sure there are some on this site, although I can't put myself in that catagory. Not that I lied persay, but I didn't inform my parents of everything which may have led them to assume something untrue. Anyways, I don't know how anyone could say 100% unless they hve personally interviewed every single 21 year old out there.

happyone

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:41 pm
who ran polls to see these statistics?

jewgal84

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:55 pm
happyone wrote:
who ran polls to see these statistics?

I was going to ask, from where and what are these statistics based off?

mom3boys

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 8:24 pm
Quote:
90% of teens lie to their parents. At the age of 21 this number jumps to 100%.

I could believe it, only problem is, how do we know that all these lying teenagers didn't lie to the pollster? Wink

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 8:24 pm
lol!

Mommy912

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 9:02 pm
Lying to Parents, Getting into Fights, and Getting Suspended from School. Teens’ willingness to lie to their parents about where they had been or who they have been with varies significantly with the closeness of their relationship. For example, over three-quarters of the teens aged 15 to 16 who do not have close relationships with their parents say that they lie to their parents. By contrast, half of teens who have close relationships do so. Similarly,the likelihood of getting into a serious fight is lower across the board for children who eat dinner regularly with their parents or who have close relationships with their parents. Finally, the likelihood of getting suspended from school is lower for those teens to have close parental relationships.
-Teens and their Parents in the 21st Century: An examination of the results of teen behavior and the results of parental involvement. Prepared by the Council of Economic Advisors for President Clinton.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 8:10 am
Mommy912 wrote:
Lying to Parents, Getting into Fights, and Getting Suspended from School. Teens’ willingness to lie to their parents about where they had been or who they have been with varies significantly with the closeness of their relationship. For example, over three-quarters of the teens aged 15 to 16 who do not have close relationships with their parents say that they lie to their parents. By contrast, half of teens who have close relationships do so. Similarly,the likelihood of getting into a serious fight is lower across the board for children who eat dinner regularly with their parents or who have close relationships with their parents. Finally, the likelihood of getting suspended from school is lower for those teens to have close parental relationships.
-Teens and their Parents in the 21st Century: An examination of the results of teen behavior and the results of parental involvement. Prepared by the Council of Economic Advisors for President Clinton.

I'm so not surprised. I noticed these things in high school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children