Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
TV show: "Shalom in the Home"
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 8:02 pm
Quote:
its such a shame, I used to tutor his oldest daughter in UK and she was having such a difficult time in elementary school bco f his beleifs

I think this is a breach in confidentiality

Tefila

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 8:08 pm
For all we know his wife could be on here girls Confused so lets be careful not to speak LH though we shouldn't be anyways Exclamation

JRKmommy

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 2:48 pm
I watch the show and enjoy it.

I was surprised by the fact that he touches women on the show. I know that he is working with non-Jewish families and the show is geared to a non-Jewish audience, and I realize that outside the frum world, those sorts of touches wouldn't raise any eyebrows. However, I'm not sure why he does it - it's fairly obvious that he is an Orthodox rabbi, so why compromise that particular thing?

Aside from that, though, he does seem to help the families and much of the advice was common sense. Maybe some people thought the lesbian episode was controversial, but the basic issue was the daughter and her obsession with the homework, and the advice would have been the same to any parents - stop focusing on the school work, and make sure the daughter is loved simply for being herself so she doesn't feel pressured to be perfect at school.

MatzosMama

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:37 pm
BlumaG wrote:
its such a shame, I used to tutor his oldest daughter in UK and she was having such a difficult time in elementary school bco f his beleifs Sad

shock really!!!! OY! I take it he doesn't have a home Shul or congreation. I saw one while my youngest was in the Hosptial. I was stunned at it. (Mostly the mom in the show) I thought that the advice was good for a married couple. I have a non-Jewish friends that think that he is a riot, and that the "Jewish " thing is just a gimmik. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Younger Me

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 1:48 pm
Quote:
I was surprised by the fact that he touches women on the show.

A couple of people I know who saw the show, decided to write him an e-mail to "protest" what they saw. (I guess they found his e-mail address on TLC's website, not sure)
They basically told him, that he has a great opportunity to show the world what being a good jew is all about. the show is viewed by millions and it could be an opportunity to make a big kiddush hashem, and they felt it wasn't the case since he hugs women on his show etc....
They also reminded him he used to be a shliach of the Rebbe, and should behave as such etc...

His reply was - in short - that he never stopped being a shliach of the Rebbe, and takes it seriously and that he actually got a Heter from a Rov to be able to hug women on his show....

a Heter ??!!!! Rolling Eyes

mimsy7420

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 1:55 pm
Killy22 wrote:
Quote:
I was surprised by the fact that he touches women on the show.

A couple of people I know who saw the show, decided to write him an e-mail to "protest" what they saw. (I guess they found his e-mail address on TLC's website, not sure)
They basically told him, that he has a great opportunity to show the world what being a good jew is all about. the show is viewed by millions and it could be an opportunity to make a big kiddush hashem, and they felt it wasn't the case since he hugs women on his show etc....
They also reminded him he used to be a shliach of the Rebbe, and should behave as such etc...

His reply was - in short - that he never stopped being a shliach of the Rebbe, and takes it seriously and that he actually got a Heter from a Rov to be able to hug women on his show....

a Heter ??!!!! Rolling Eyes

Serious?? shock

Younger Me

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 2:01 pm
Quote:
Serious??

yep!

Flowerchild

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 2:12 pm
heck if he gets a heter for touching women, maybe I can get a heter to eat bacon

Secbeb

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 2:14 pm
I've heard of heters to shake womens' hands, not to wear a kippa, for a woman to wear pants, for a woman to use birth control (I'm surprised that many people don't even think twice about that one). I'm not shocked that he got a heter. I do feel uncomfortable when I see it, because I am sensitive to it, but in the non jewish world people sleep together the first time they meet. So it would be unusual for them not to greet with a handshake or a friendly hug.
What I also know, according to Miss Manners, is that a man should never extend his hand first to shake hands with a woman, because it is considered rude. The woman should always be the one deciding whether to shake hands or not - it's proper etiquette.
Here is a link to the speech he gave for his son's bar-mitzvah. I thought it was quite eloquent.
http://www.jewishpress.com/pag......html

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 2:19 pm
I know that most Lub. men don't even shake hands, but my husband's mashpia said it was okay.

Mayb Rabbi Shmueli spoke to someone like that.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 2:21 pm
Shaking hands is way different then hugging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flowerchild

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 3:31 pm
Quote:
Secbeb Posted: Wed, May 31 2006, 2:14 pm Post subject: re: TV show: "Shalom in the Home"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of heters to shake womens' hands, not to wear a kippa, for a woman to wear pants, for a woman to use birth control

very interesting, why would someone need a heter to weat pants?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 3:34 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
Quote:
Secbeb Posted: Wed, May 31 2006, 2:14 pm Post subject: re: TV show: "Shalom in the Home"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of heters to shake womens' hands, not to wear a kippa, for a woman to wear pants, for a woman to use birth control

very interesting, why would someone need a heter to weat pants?

If they are a nurse or a doctor and have to wear scrubs.

amother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 4:10 pm
About 2 weeks ago, he watched a man give his n-ked wife a massage via video. He winked at the camera and said "no respectable rabbi should do this, wink wink". He thought he was making the point that he's a "hip, cool" rabbi. What a disgrace!!

Earlier - I think in the same show - he watched a play that was extremely promiscuous and made a similar sarcastic statement.

The show is great but no reason to do it as a "rabbi".

Non-Jews at my workplace told me that they lost respect for him since he lowered himself as they would for any member of their clergy who would stoop to below the level expected of them.

luv2beamother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 4:45 pm
From the speech by his sons bar mitzvah:
Quote:
There are kids prepared to start taking drugs just to win friends. There are teenage girls who are prepared to be intimate with boys in the false belief that if they deliver their bodies the boys will offer up their hearts

I don't know abt you but I wouldn't want my husband saying that at my son's bar mitzvah

Tefila

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 5:18 pm
Quote:
heck if he gets a heter for touching women, maybe I can get a heter to eat bacon

Didn't u know there is a number 1-800-heter, guaranteed to find a heter for everything. Give them call you won't be disappointed Twisted Evil
:

Flowerchild

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 5:21 pm
heter is like lollypops, come one come all, we got a flavor for everyone.
I can understand giving a heter for birthcontrol, for a woman who is a nurse and is required to wear a uniform ok, but I cant imagine a rabbi would allow another one to go and hug other women, I just cant see it, it goes against everything, whats the point of being shomer if you can get a heter on that.

amother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 6:53 pm
Does he live in Elkana (re: GR's post)? If he lives there maybe that's why the high courts are deciding if chabad is part of orthodox judaism, cuz he doesn't sound like a torah observant jew to me. I never heard of a rabbi publicly demonstrating disregard for the torah in order to "help" (NOT- its mainly just a form of parnassah, u gotta know that) non jews (and show them how a rabbi acts, yeah right) - sounds closer to kofer b'ikkur than orthodox. Wait till he has thankful & star struck women throwing themselves at him, who already know its ok to hug & kiss him, then lets see him pass the 10 commandments with flying colors, forget the d'rabbanan. He's building the stumbling block - or should I say cliff, all by himself, oh yeah, with the help of the "rabbi" who gave him the heter.

shayna82

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 7:27 pm
does anyone realize that what he may/may not be doing is between him and g-d?

if u dont like him, dont watch him. enough lashon harah has been said. enough, right?

JRKmommy

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:20 pm
Thanks for the clarification that he got a heter. I feel better knowing that the halacha wasn't simply ignored.

If that's the case, I don't think it's for any of us to criticise - it's between him, his rav and Hashem.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics