Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I can make dinner in less than 15 minutes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 1:55 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
Baked chicken and brocolli- I do this with chicken cutlets or bottoms.

water, rice, spices in pan. frozen brocolli on top of that. then chicken on top. make mixture of ketcup, mayo and garlic powder, smear over chicken. cover and bake.

How much water? I always have a problem with the water issue.
white or brown rice- does it make a difference?
If you are putting the rice under chicken, use 2 cups water for 1 cup of rice.
(If baking alone, use 2-1/2 cups water.)
Underneath the chicken, it makes no difference which type of rice you use.
(If baking alone, it takes 1 hour to cook white rice in the oven, and 1-1/2 hours to cook brown rice.)

MiamiMommy

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 2:01 pm
Curry chicken or beef:

Saute some chopped onions, potatoes, carrots, and whatever you want in olive oil. Add cut up chicken breast or beef cubes. Then add curry, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste (and a little ginger if you like it). Add about 2 cups of chicken soup or consumme (if you use consumme, add water!). Turn flame to low, cover and simmer tll done. Before serving, add instant mashed potatoes if you want it thicker. Serve over rice.

You can make beef goulash the same way, except use 1-2 tsps. of garlic, cumin, and coriander. A little ginger, salt and pepper to taste. Add a can of tomato sauce and simmer. Serve over egg noodles.

Sometimes I use left over chicken.

MommySA

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 3:14 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
MommySA wrote:

I make a mac and cheese (may take a bit longer then 15 min) but I double the quantities and freeze one and take it out the next week grate chees over it and pop it in the oven - NO clean up and tastes the same!!

NOTE: I double this and freeze one BEFORE I grate the cheese and then grate chees when I take it out
the next week. you can take it out the freezer in the morning for supper)

Just to clarify: you freeze macaroni in a tin pan and defrost by popping in the oven with cheese on it?

Yip you take it out freezer in morn , grate cheese ontop and pop it in the oven.

Rochelly

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:19 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Made stuffed peppers tonight!

1 1/2 lb. chopped meat
2 eggs
3 T. bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 cup uncooked rice
16 oz tomato sauct
6 green peppers

Preheat oven to 350. Combine meat, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, rice, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce; mix well. Cut off tops of green peppers and hollow out. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in baking dish and add remaining tomato sauce. Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.

Entire prep time was about 10 minutes.

Edited to add: Recipe is from the Sharing Our Best cookbook (TAG).

Thanks so much for the recipe! I made it for dinner last night and it tasted delish! For some reason my rice didn't cook fully Sad What did I do wrong?

slushiemom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 10:43 am
my 15 minute dinner tonight:

at around 3 pm I cut up onions and potatoes, put them on the bottom of a baking dish- skinned chickens then poured duck sauce over the whole dish- secret here is to let cook for 4-5 hours. (hence starting at 3 pm)

that took about 5 minutes

at 5:30 put up a tomato soup- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 1 can water. carrots, onions, cubed- some salt, pepper, 2 TBSP sugar, 3-4 bay leaves.

1.5 hours later, delicious tomato soup! (also took about 5 minutes)

a1mom

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 1:28 pm
grilled chicken salad

cut up chicken cutlets into tiny peices stir fry in a little oil with lots of garlic powder and salt and pepper

slice red peppers and broil in oven for 7-8 minutes until skins look charred

cut up and check lettuce while chicken and peppers are cooking
you can add any other veggies you like cucumbers tomatoes pickles red onions

top with your favorite dressing or toss with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar

optional tortilla salad bowls can be made earlier in the day and breifly reheated spray inside of a small metal bowl and place a wrap inside spray wrap bake for 6 minutes on
350 until hardened
place salad in bowls with chicken and pepper slices on top

sunny90

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 5:28 pm
Was just rereading this thread (YUM!) and thought I'd add some of my own!

Quiche and salad--buy frozen deep dish piecrusts OR shortcrust dough and press into a round pan. Microwave some frozen broccoli for about 5 minutes. Mix in a bowl: 3-4 eggs, milk, grated cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add broccoli and mix, pour into crust and bake for about 45 minutes. This takes seriously about 5 minutes (if you mix everything else while the broccoli is cooking). Eggs--protein. Broccoli--veg. Crust--starch. Wink But if you want to be healthier make a salad to go with it.

Pasta Florentine (adapted from Quick and Kosher). Defrost frozen spinach in microwave. Saute an onion and some garlic. Add spinach and saute. Add salt, pepper and a big can of tomato sauce. I add a little milk to make it taste yummy! Simmer for about 1/2 hr and serve over pasta.

Stir fry--I cut up the veggies earlier in the day, and boil some rice noodles when I get a chance, then the actual stir frying takes about 7 min. I use Chinese leaf, peppers, onion, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn and tofu/chicken strips/minute steak strips. Fry onions first, then add chicken at this point if using, other veggies, soy sauce, ground ginger and black pepper. Stir fry until tender, then add rice noodles and fry for 2 min. Add a beaten egg in the middle if you like and stir it til cooked, then add tofu/minute steak pieces and stir fry for another 2 min and done! You can mix a bit of cornstarch with the soy sauce if you want it to be thickened. My DH likes this kind of thing because it's a whole meal that you can just eat with a fork, he hates having to fiddle around with bones etc.

Nicole

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 7:41 pm
Chicken and Rice in crock pot

one package chicken
1 C brown rice
1 onion cut into chunks
5 C water
assorted spices
Ketchup
Spicy mustard
Duck sauce

Place in crockpot leave on "low" for 8 hours
THIS WAS SO YUM!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheesy Quinoa

1 C quinoa
2 C water
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP olive oil
6 slices american cheese or 6 oz shredded cheese

put quinoa in bowl of water. swirl in water, drain. (this removes the bitterness)
put first 4 ingredients into pot. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer until all water is absorbed. add cheese and place on very low flame until melted. mix well.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:24 pm
The thing I find funny about this thread is that everybody insists stir-fries, cutting up potatoes, and cleaning chicken, only takes 5 minutes. I have to wonder if the authors of these posts are cutting up a single potato, cleaning one piece of chicken, and how many people such a stir-fry feeds.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:37 pm
GR, I cut up my chicken for stirfries when I buy them from the store in family packs. I freeze them in single supper increments in freezer quart bags. So that takes no time.
Potatoes do take longer to cut than something like peppers. I will also use my freezer and have cut up veggies in there, broccoli, snow peas, etc.

But I did make supper this morning in the crockpot within this time frame....I put in a package of flanken (I didn't cut them), baby carrots (that had been steamed and were leftover from Shabbos), 3 potatoes, a large sweet potato, and an onion (which I only quartered instead of making wedges). I added tomato sauce and seasoning to make it a tomato based stew. I have also added chicken broth instead to make it a different type of stew. If I had cauliflower, I would have added that as well....

gryp

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 12:18 am
Stews, I can understand. Even if I have to peel and cut up 8 potatoes, it's still a quick job.

Stirfries take me a long time. Maybe I'm slow in the kitchen. Washing, peeling, and dicing or cutting into strips, isn't a 1-2-3 job.

I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner. I also buy family packs, and I divide them according to how much we need per dinner, but I don't cut them into strips then. Not that that's such a long job but everything together adds up.

Rodent

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 12:53 am
This is in reference to an old post but mentioning it in case it is relevant for anyone else reading. What is called tomato sauce in the US is pretty much the same as tomato puree in many places. It is not referring to ketchup Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 9:27 am
GR wrote:
Stews, I can understand. Even if I have to peel and cut up 8 potatoes, it's still a quick job.

Stirfries take me a long time. Maybe I'm slow in the kitchen. Washing, peeling, and dicing or cutting into strips, isn't a 1-2-3 job.

I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner. I also buy family packs, and I divide them according to how much we need per dinner, but I don't cut them into strips then. Not that that's such a long job but everything together adds up.
What do you peel for stirfries? I put in some assortment of mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas, green beans, can't think of anything else at this moment.

joy613

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 3:50 am
GR wrote:

GR, I'm right there with you. I think I posted earlier on this thread that I make lots of the same meals that people are mentioning but they don't take me only 15 minutes. I'm also starting to think that maybe I'm slow in the kitchen but I don't really think so.
I also agree with you about the stirfry thing. For me stirfy is something I'll do only if I know I have extra time. After 5 minutes the only thing I'll probably have done is have half the chicken cut into strips..

Quote:
I hold that if you do most of the work before the 15 minutes start, then it isn't a real 15 minute dinner.

Yeah, that's cheating! Smile like the cooking shows where the chef says this dish will take only 5 minutes, and he takes out his containers of already diced onions, and ten other vegetables, and chicken skinned, boned and whatever else done to it.

bnm

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 3:57 am
for cutting the chicken I started using kitchen shears, really saves time.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:23 am
I started buying pre-sliced veggies to make my life easier. Its more expensive, but I'm more likely to use them.

mosma

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:46 am
GR wrote:
The thing I find funny about this thread is that everybody insists stir-fries, cutting up potatoes, and cleaning chicken, only takes 5 minutes. I have to wonder if the authors of these posts are cutting up a single potato, cleaning one piece of chicken, and how many people such a stir-fry feeds.

I dice my chicken while it's still thawing. it makes it a LOT easier to cut, and that takes me maybe 4 minutes then. for a package of chicken. if it's completely defrosted it would take me ten minutes or more.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:03 am
I totally agree - cutting the chicken when its still half frozen saves a lot of time and makes it easier to get better sized pieces.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:33 am
I love roasted veggies, with a bit of milk or cheese, sesame seeds or if you prefer with snitzel or leftover chicken, lightly sauted.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:22 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:

What do you peel for stirfries? I put in some assortment of mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas, green beans, can't think of anything else at this moment.

Onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, for starters. Sometimes I'll put cabbage or spaghetti squash, which goes over really well here.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics