Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I can make dinner in less than 15 minutes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

sys

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:27 am
dont forget cleaning the chicken. oops add 1 hour Rolling Eyes

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:32 am
I'm also slow in the kitchen, it's a real challenge.

I can't remember what we had for dinner anyway. My memory doesn't go that far back.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:33 am
sys wrote:

exactly- wings used to be my simplest dinner of all til I started skinning them. I know I'm crazy, but we're dieting and can't have the fat, but it is my DH's most favorite dinner. so now it's the dinner that takes the longest to prepare!

key

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:34 am
I just did it last night Very Happy Very Happy

Hamburgers in buns
better than kfc coleslaw
sliced vegis

I made to coleslaw put it in the fridge to chill.
Next I sliced red onions, tomatoes, & lettuce layed it on a platter and put it in the fridge.
Last I made the hamburgers.
(1 pound of meat, 1 egg, 1 challah roll soaked, spices, a bit of ketchup bbq sauce and mustard)
And fried them.
oh and I cant forget the pickels Very Happy

so delicous and so quick

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:37 am
Oh, we had mushroom barley soup, baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes, and salad.

I fried tons of onions and garlic in the soup pot, and then poured 1/2 of it into the mashed potatoes. The lettuce was checked already (from before Shabbos).

I've stopped watching the clock when I cook because every other second I leave the kitchen to check who's doing what where. So I'm not sure how long it took me, but short enough that I started after my baby went to sleep and finished before she woke up (she only takes 1/2 hr naps).

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:44 am
this is what I made for my kids this evening -

Vegetable & Cheese Frittata

1/4 cabbage cut into small pieces
1 zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices
1 onion chopped small
1 tomato chopped small
4 eggs beaten
1/4 tub 5% white cheese
salt, black pepper, parika
grated mozzarella cheese

preheat the grill to hot
spray a large frying pan with Pam and saute all the vegetables together for a few minutes
beat together the eggs, white cheese and seasonings and pour over the sauteed vegetables
let set for a minute or two and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top
put the pan under the hot grill and leave to set and brown

can basically be made with any vegetables and is a great way of using up leftover cooked veg too

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:46 am
sys wrote:

I clean my chickens once a week - I freeze each piece in a sandwich bag ready to take out rinse off and use

SV

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I can't even begin to start...almost all my meals are 15 minutes prep time or less....

So let's hear some Wink

GR wrote:
SV wrote:

Can we play a game of “I can make dinner in under 15 minutes”? Two rules:

1. It has to be real dinner – no cheating like “pull out frozen french fries from the freezer and stick in the oven for 15 minutes” or “boil pasta, drain, pour ketchup over it, serve” etc. It doesn’t have to be a fancy 3 course meal, but it has to be something nutritious and filling (and somewhat kid-friendly).

2. The prep time should be under 15 minutes – cooking time not included. Meaning, I only care about the time I need to spend in the kitchen actually patchking around, I don’t care if afterwards the crockpot takes another 8 hours to make the food edible.

Who’s up for a challenge? I am really desperate here…

I was just thinking about this yesterday! Thank you for doing it first.

This is the first time I started a thread that went on for 3 pages! I guess this is a sore subject for many...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:15 pm
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:
Baked hamburgers also have an <15 minute prep time. However, mine always come out dry unless I manage to time it perfectly with supper (which never happens). Any suggestions?

I make large, flat burgers (4 burgers for every 1 lb of meat) and bake at 425, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
They are never dry.

Can I have your recipe for the burgers please?

best burgers
1 lb. ground meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Divide meat mixture into four. Form into very large, very flat burgers. (They shrink when baked.)
Bake on a cookie sheet, uncovered, at 425, for about 20 minutes.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:29 pm
Why make dinner if it takes you more than 15 minutes to prepare? Unless you have no kids around? Wink

Stir fry (tofu or any protein), chicken and rice and salad, meat and potatoes and steamed vegetables, baked ziti, spaghetti, almost all Mexican foods, chili, stew...

What do you make that takes MORE than 15 minutes? Maybe you're more particular than I am...or maybe you make several courses. I try to include protein, carb, and vegetable all in one pot whenever possible.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:
Baked hamburgers also have an <15 minute prep time. However, mine always come out dry unless I manage to time it perfectly with supper (which never happens). Any suggestions?

I make large, flat burgers (4 burgers for every 1 lb of meat) and bake at 425, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
They are never dry.

best burgers
1 lb. ground meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Divide meat mixture into four. Form into very large, very flat burgers. (They shrink when baked.)

think this would work with ground turkey?

jzmom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:34 pm
Chicken Chili:

4-6 chicken cutlets cut into bite size pieces
1 can mexicorn
1 jar marinara sauce
chili powder

sprinkle chili powder all over chicken
brown chicken both sides in large skillet
add corn and marinara sauce, reduce heat to low, let simmer about 5 minutes
serve over brown rice

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:36 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:

They are never dry.

best burgers
1 lb. ground meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

I haven't tried it, but if I would, I would use dark ground turkey. Not regular ground turkey.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:38 pm
Well last night I sauteed ground beef, added in a can of tomato sauce, a can of water, a diced tomato, spices like oregano and onion powder and chili powder, macaroni, a can of beans that had been sitting in my pantry for way too long (I got it as a backup when we had a bean infestation for cholent), and cooked it covered for about 15 minutes on low, stirring every so often...

The night before I served a pumpkin soup with chickpeas (I used canned pumpkin leftover from making muffins), tuna burgers, and scalloped potatoes...I cut up the potatoes while the burgers fried on my non-stick griddle.

Sunday night I made chicken soup without the soup and served it with leftover chicken soup and lukshen from Shabbos: Cut up chicken cutlets into bite sized pieces, sauteed it while I peeled and cut 3 carrots, a sweet potato, a stalk of celery, and 2 potatoes into chunks and threw them in when the chicken was done. (I forgot the onion I was going to put in). Sprinkled in a lot of dill, and sauteed it for a couple of minutes while I got a cup or so of soup and poured it in. Covered and let simmer for a half hour, stirring twice in the middle.

Thursday night I made a mushroom barley beef soup that I cooked in the crockpot while I was at work so I could cook for Shabbos when I came home. It was very filling with enough meat and barley and mushrooms and onions and carrots in it to be an entire supper.

Last Weds. night I made homemade pizza. Dough took 5 minutes to make (I have posted the recipe before). A few minutes to roll out. Used canned pizza sauce. Chopped up veggies and used some frozen (like broccoli which I only buy frozen), and so it probably took 5 minutes to assemble it as well. 15 minutes prep time, 15 minutes baking time.

Last Tues. night was tacos like others mentioned -- brown meat, season (I also put in some tomato sauce), make rice as well for stuffing it, and put salad in.

Last Monday night I and my kids ate at my in-laws (before they left for E"Y), so I just made some ziti for my husband. If I was eating it as well, I would make a vegetable or salad on the side as well, but I knew he wouldn't touch it.

Last Sun. night was a stir fry with chicken, broccoli, garlic cloves sliced, and cashews. I seasoned with seasoned salt and paprika, put in a splash of orange juice and let it simmer out. I made turmeric rice on the side (sautee rice for a bit, add water and spices you usually use + turmeric to make it "fancy" and cook as regular)...

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:

They are never dry.

best burgers
1 lb. ground meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

I haven't tried it, but if I would, I would use dark ground turkey. Not regular ground turkey.

Sad ok. living out of town, we don't have much choice in our meat. the store had empire lean ground turkey, so I bought it and want to use it. (I can order reg chopped meat, but it's too fatty for our current eating plan)

kollel wife

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:45 pm
I'm not sure if this is relevant to others, but I don't have a fleishik microwave. So nothing fleishiks can be made without defrosting first which doesn't have to add time to the 15 minutes, but requires being organized in advance. From reading all this I'm feeling I should buy another microwave, although I don't know where I'd put it.

Is it a normal procedure to defrost chicken/cutlets/chopped meat in the microwave - why does it seem unhealthy to me in some way.

By the way, chicken wings defrost pretty fast in water, and can then be pulled apart.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:47 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:

They are never dry.

best burgers
1 lb. ground meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

Sad ok. living out of town, we don't have much choice in our meat. the store had empire lean ground turkey, so I bought it and want to use it. (I can order reg chopped meat, but it's too fatty for our current eating plan)

Can you use half ground meat and half ground turkey on your diet? That should be good.
If not, try the turkey and let me know how it comes out. Add a drop more salt to the mix.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:48 pm
kollel wife wrote:
I'm not sure if this is relevant to others, but I don't have a fleishik microwave. So nothing fleishiks can be made without defrosting first which doesn't have to add time to the 15 minutes, but requires being organized in advance. From reading all this I'm feeling I should buy another microwave, although I don't know where I'd put it.

Is it a normal procedure to defrost chicken/cutlets/chopped meat in the microwave - why does it seem unhealthy to me in some way.

By the way, chicken wings defrost pretty fast in water, and can then be pulled apart.

I don't own a milchig/fleishig microwave and I manage to make quick and easy dinners. I usually let the chicken breast/meat/steak defrost in a bowl of hot water (not boiling) and it defrosts very quickly.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:49 pm
kollel wife wrote:

If you don't have to use a microwave, don't. Better for your entire family.
I pull out a pan of cleaned chicken before I leave to work and leave it out on the counter for 6 hours. When I come home it's still nice and cold, so I know that it's okay.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:52 pm
1. If you plan menus, you save time trying to figure out what to make and you avoid the defrosting issue.
2. Even if I forget to take out something the night before, I can put in a bowl of water in the fridge, and even partially frozen, it's still cookable...especially if I am cutting it; it makes it even easier to cut it up!
3. I never liked it when my family would microwave meat to defrost -- it always seemed to cook a bit on the sides.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics