Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I can make dinner in less than 15 minutes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

NewYorkgal31

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:17 pm
am I cooking it with the onion and peppers?

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:27 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
am I cooking it with the onion and peppers?

yes, you cook it all together. it could be I jsut had a really high quality of meat- my parents bring it for me from cleveland, and the butcher is known to be amazing.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 12:11 am
Today supper

First: glass compote plate filled halfway with sliced bananas, then yogurt, and topped with granola (I used the new chocolate leaf treat as a garnish)
Then
Breaded Tilapia, baked
Mushrooms (stems removed) filled with ketchup and shredded cheese and pizza spice (my starch free "pizza")
Israeli salad (TCP)

NOTICE: no dirty pots after!! Thats VERY important to me, not too much cleaning!

IamI

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:45 am
Any pareve or milchig ideas out there?
I love this thread Smile

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:25 am
last night was 'tandoori' chicken: cut pieces of chicken breast into 2" cubes and mixed with a tiny bit of olive oil and a lot of tandoori spice. Stuck in the oven for 30 min. Not the best, its come out better in the past I think because I mixed in the middle and put it for 45 minutes. also good with boneless chicken thighs.
Next I sliced a big sweet potato very thinly, mixed with a little oil and stuck in the oven, took 30/45 minutes.
I made peas on the stovetop with sauted onions and lots of spices. did everything fast took about 15 minutes, maybe less. I was in a rush - DS was getting hungry!

another easy dinner is meatballs in a sauce made with a jar of plain pasta sauce and can of jellied cranberry sauce, takes 30 min to cook. served with white rice - 10 min cooking time- and maybe a fresh salad. takes about 15 minutes prep. I like to add roasted veggies to this to round it out a little, since DS isn't really ready to eat fresh veggies yet. that addds a little more prep time of course, to chop all the vegetables.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:40 am
When I came home from work, I cooked pasta on the stove. While it was cooking, I chopped up pieces of hot dogs, heated up Don Pepino tomato sauce in a fleishig pot, and dumped the pieces of hot dogs into the tomato sauce and heated up the sauce. My kids ate the pasta with tomato sauce and loved it with pieces of hot dogs. For DH and myself and my grandmother (who I send over once a week supper), we had chicken wings and rice from the crockpot which I made the night before (also took 15 mins to prepare). Great supper!

Last edited by Tries2BGoodMom on Thu, Jan 21 2010, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mishie

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:11 am
I just made yummy spagetti, which took me 5 minutes to make.

Cook Spagetti, drain, pour back into pot.
Add: a couple Tbs. Tomato Paste, 1 container Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream, Spices: Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, Basil and Sugar.
Mix over low flame until all incorporated.
Can sprinkle shredded cheese on top.

You can slice some Kyooks (Cucumbers).

P.s. I usually make a large pot of Spagetti Sauce (with sauted onions, garlic etc...
But, this time I was looking for s/t quick so made it as above.
btw, it was just as good!!

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:28 am
Thanks everybody for keeping this thread going.

I think another problem for those of us who have a hard time making dinner in under 15 minutes is that different people need different amount of food to make them full. embarrassed For example (too bad I can't be anon for this) baked zitti and salad or just soup (even somthing like mushroom/meat/barley) is NOT enough for my dh to feel full. Normally, I need a protein, a starch and a salad. Sometimes we do supplement with fresh bread, but I try not to serve too many carbs if I can help it. So some of the ideas here, while they do take 15 min, are not enough on their own. (And some things mentioned do NOT take under 15 min - things like shnitzel or meatballs take longer).

Ronit

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:45 am
IamI wrote:
Any pareve or milchig ideas out there?
I love this thread Smile

This is what I do when I need to make supper just for dh (If I have a simcha or s/t). He likes it & it takes fast to make. I do make a generous amount so it should be filling.

Dill zuchini Salmon:
1. Place salmon flesh up in pan.
2. Smear mayo & sprinkle salt n garlic powder.
3. thinly slice circles of green & yellow zuchini.
4. Lay them alternately on the salmon.
5. Sprinkle with chopped dill & cornflake crumbs.
6. Drizzle olive oil or spray w/ oil.
7. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hr

Russian Salad:
1. Chop english/isreali cucumber (leave the peels on) into a bowl.
2. Add a couple of slices radish (leave the peels on)
3. Add chopped dill
4. Dressing: 1 spoon mayo, 1 spoon vinegar/lemon juice, 1 spoon (or less) sugar. This ratio is aprox for 3 med sized cucumbers.
Note: I do not take out another bowl to make the dressing. I just add it to the veggies & give it a mix.

If you davka want a starch, you can do a baked potato.

Btw a great tip for completing supper in short time: 99% of the time I have soup & compote in my freezer. Any supper that feels empty, becomes a full meal when you add those to it.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:51 am
SV wrote:

I think another problem for those of us who have a hard time making dinner in under 15 minutes is that different people need different amount of food to make them full. embarrassed For example (too bad I can't be anon for this) baked zitti and salad or just soup (even somthing like mushroom/meat/barley) is NOT enough for my dh to feel full. Normally, I need a protein, a starch and a salad. Sometimes we do supplement with fresh bread, but I try not to serve too many carbs if I can help it. So some of the ideas here, while they do take 15 min, are not enough on their own. (And some thngs mentioned do NOT take under 15 min - things like shnitzel or meatballs take longer).

Shnitzel most definitely CAN be made in less than 15 minutes, as long as your not doing it for a crowd. I made 6 pieces of shnitzel the other night and it took no longer than 5 minutes (of course longer to fry, but while it was in the frying pan I prepped the rest of dinner)

Oh, and I agree about the full meal. Pasta never fills me up unless I have a starter first, such as soup. The soups I make are so easy and cooking time is quick too. I make big pot and freeze in containers.

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:56 am
pinktichel wrote:
SV wrote:

I think another problem for those of us who have a hard time making dinner in under 15 minutes is that different people need different amount of food to make them full. embarrassed For example (too bad I can't be anon for this) baked zitti and salad or just soup (even somthing like mushroom/meat/barley) is NOT enough for my dh to feel full. Normally, I need a protein, a starch and a salad. Sometimes we do supplement with fresh bread, but I try not to serve too many carbs if I can help it. So some of the ideas here, while they do take 15 min, are not enough on their own. (And some thngs mentioned do NOT take under 15 min - things like shnitzel or meatballs take longer).

Shnitzel most definitely CAN be made in less than 15 minutes, as long as your not doing it for a crowd. I made 6 pieces of shnitzel the other night and it took no longer than 5 minutes (of course longer to fry, but while it was in the frying pan I prepped the rest of dinner)

Oh, and I agree about the full meal. Pasta never fills me up unless I have a starter first, such as soup. The soups I make are so easy and cooking time is quick too. I make big pot and freeze in containers.

Can you please share some of your soup recipes?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:05 am
SV wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
SV wrote:

Can you please share some of your soup recipes?

zucchini soup:

Fry 2 lg onions in a bit of olive oil, until translucent.
peel one large potato and cut into chunks. Add to onions.
Peel and slice (can cut into huge chunks) about 5/6 zucchinis.
Add water to just cover.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft. (doesn't take long at all)
Blend with immersion blender.
Taste and add more s&p if necessary.

Potato/leek soup:

fry 2 lg. onions and 1 leek until translucent.
add a few lg potatoes cut into chunks.
Add water to cover and salt and pepper to taste.
When boiled and potatoes are soft, blend with immersion blender.

Gotta run and feed the baby. I have a good cream of sweet potato soup that I'll post later. Oh, and I made a good mushroom/barley soup but just threw things in....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:13 am
shanie5 wrote:

Can u post your recipes for pumpkin soup and mushroom barley beef soup please.........

Recipes?
I don't think I actually have real ones Smile

Pumpkin soup I'll B"N copy the recipe I adapted and post it...
The mushroom barley beef soup was based on the mushroom barley soup recipe in the purple Spice and Spirit -- do you have that? I added meat to it, and cooked in the crockpot, and changed it a drop, but it was the same idea.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:19 am
Tonight is stew from the crockpot.
I timed myself. It took under 15 minutes at 11 PM. It helps when there are no little kids afoot Tongue Out

I peeled 3 potatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 3 carrots, an onion.
Chunked it all. Dumped in crockpot.
Trimmed fat off of beef cubes, and added it in.
Poured in some tomato sauce and water (2 cups of each I think).
Oregano, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a drop of seasoned salt.

Sunday night I plan on making pepper steak (having company who is very picky so in her zechus we're being "fancy") -- I marinate the meat (I use the kosher palette recipe for an idea of what I'm doing though I don't copy it 100%), sautee it, add in sliced pepper and onions (do that while meat is cooking), some green beans or snow peas (since I'm not such a pepper fan and I like adding vegetables), add in leftover marinade, and let simmer while you go and do other stuff. Rice on the side. And leftover soup probably.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:19 am
LOVING this thread. Thanks everyone!

sped

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:51 am
Easiest soups I know:

Tomato-rice soup

1 can tomato soup
white rice
sugar
salt

cook until rice is soft...
Yummy. A favorite soup.
Alternately you can dilute tomato paste with water and use instead of the juice

split pea soup
into a pot place split peas, onion , carrot, celery optional (no need to chop)
cook until all is soft and blend partially with a hand blender.
It is great, and even greater if you start with sauteed onions.

red lentil soup
Sautee onion, garlic, add the orange (split) lentils and cook up. For a really good flavor, add some finely diced tomato or a little tomato paste and a bit of vinegar.
Also a favorite, and it cooks really quickly for soup!

sped

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:53 am
Easiest soups I know:

Tomato-rice soup

1 can tomato soup
white rice
sugar
salt

Yummy. A favorite soup.

split pea soup

red lentil soup
Sautee onion, garlic, add the orange (split) lentils and cook up. For a really good flavor, add some finely diced tomato or a little tomato paste and a bit of vinegar.

sped

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:54 am
Easiest soups I know:

Tomato-rice soup

1 can tomato soup
white rice
sugar
salt

Yummy. A favorite soup.

split pea soup

red lentil soup

sped

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 11:04 am
Easiest soups I know:

Tomato-rice soup

1 can tomato soup
white rice
sugar
salt

Yummy. A favorite soup.

split pea soup

red lentil soup

daisy

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 11:56 am
Love this thread and haven't even read it all through!

Does someone want to make this into a word document, so we can print it easily? - seriously! Not a cookbook, just a printable copy.

My contribution: fish and potatoes

Put oil on bottom of pan, add sliced onions saute a bit, and then add sliced potatoes. Sprinkle generously with salt. Cook on a low flame, covered, stirring occasionally to unstick. (I left this for over an hour yesterday and came home to find it soft and delicious!)

Pan fry tilapia (or other) fillets in oil. You can sprinkle with old bay or whatever spices you want. Add fish to potatoes. Eat!

My kids really like this. If you have someone who doesn't like fish, you can keep them separate.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics