Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tzedakah knowing who and what to give!
1  2  3  Next

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 3:15 pm
What does one do when someone comes collecting and you are not sure if they are legit. Or with constant mailings calling upon us for Tzedakah etc (a continuing on from another thread that got side tracked)

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 3:48 pm
Never send $ to POBox-es
(unless you spesifically know).

Double check with bbb.org & IRS
(especially if planning ot give a larger sum).

Look for phone #'s on the letters & call them.

At the door - I do not really know, but I do know that the word gets out if you give anything & if you give more then usual.

Also, if a woman is alone in the house, she should not open the door. (Basic safety, depending where you live)

And I always offer a drink to the people who knock on the door.

PS the more hutzpa they have, the more likely the're to be fakes.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 4:14 pm
I honestly don't keep any money in the house. I have my ccs and $20 emergancy. I don't even keep a checkbook on me. I will give change out of the pushka if my husband is home.

we only give to organizations that we know for sure are legit.

sara

Rivka

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 4:15 pm
I always ask to see their letter which is signed by Rabbonim and is dated.
If their thing is out of date I will give 50p. If not I will give more.
But as so many come I just give them each a couple of £.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 5:08 pm
if someone comes to my house for tzedaka I give them something

Yael

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 2:03 pm
I always try to give something even if its only a dollar. unless I have no change then I say sorry.
I heard that if a jew asks for money you always give even if its a couple coins. I think its halacha. when my husband is home and we think its a worthwhile and true cause we'll give more.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 2:34 pm
I think that is commendable.

but isnt there a difference between giving people who knock on your door, and giving people who hang out in the streets collecting?

I know which ones go straight to the mashke store, and also word gets around, so if I give one, they will all be sure to harass me and not just that day, but forever after.

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 1:01 am
Quote:
but isnt there a difference between giving people who knock on your door, and giving people who hang out in the streets collecting?

RG maybe don'ty give money but some type of packaged food and if they are legit they will come back if not than you will know. I would have on hand eg couple bags of pasta or whatever and when I go on the avenue I would give to first collector and see what happens.

My husband had to go to mexico recently for someones levaya and he said he was appalled on the streets little kids were collecting shock My husband went to give some money but was told no only give food coz parents use it on drugs etc. So thats what he did!

We have a policy one asks we give. If someone has to lower themselves into that position, who are we to question and doubt!!

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 9:15 am
Quote:
I would have on hand eg couple bags of pasta or whatever and when I go on the avenue I would give to first collector and see what happens.

see what happens? this scenario is so funny, I would probably be on shmais!

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 11:11 am
Quote:
I would probably be on shmais!

So what! You can't say it's not creative. And I'm sure you won't have to many street collectors after that Smile

Tefila

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 10:21 pm
And one also has to know when it comes there turn how to recieve graciously and accept. I.e. Help after a baby is born, Meals when ones too tired or sick r"l to make them etc etc. Because people like to reciprocate and not feel that it's a one way street!!

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 12:51 pm
yael wrote:
I heard that if a jew asks for money you always give even if its a couple coins. I think its halacha.

only on purim

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:42 pm
1st timer not year round Confused

proudmom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:45 pm
If a person comes to you with their hand out asking for money you have to give them something. Its not only on purim its year round

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:45 am
to add to proudmoms statement after a person goes up they ask you why didn't you give so and so and you could give any excuse on the market but non will help. the answer would be if a jew asks you give and if they are fraud then they won't die until they become poor themselves and would have to start begging.

but if their is a person that I know that doesn't really need it and is filthy rich and I know for sure then I don't give them. because I know it is not like it is hidden from me

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:58 am
supermom wrote:

but if their is a person that I know that doesn't really need it and is filthy rich and I know for sure then I don't give them. because I know it is not like it is hidden from me

You cant judge a person on the knowledge that you know. You never know if that person lost everything in one day and asks you for money. You can never judge a person from the outside. If they ask you give.

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 12:11 pm
I was once in town when a guy came up to me and asked me for money which I did give him. a half a hour later when I returned I saw him on a side street getting into an expensive car with a guy that was driving. I couldn't believe it!! and this guy has been collecting money for years as long as I can remember. when I came to israel five years ago I saw him on the street collecting.

I went home told my husband and he started laughing at me after I gave a detail description of how he looked. I was offended and asked him why are you laughing at me? he said this guy is a millionare!! him and his brother have been doing this for years and they own not only cars but also a nice size house!!

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 12:19 pm
ok so now you know not to give him money again. You saw that with your own eyes.

Chanie

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 1:09 pm
don't always judge a book by it's cover.. there are pple who are professional mishulachim for either schools or organizations. The person collecting is either on a salary or gets a commission. The fact that the person drives a nice car does not mean he's not acreditable. Sometimes the car is needed for a reputative look when going to big baale batim, or the car could have been a donation or a loan... (along with driver or a wealthier business man)
supermom wrote:
I saw him on a side street getting into an expensive car with a guy that was driving.

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 2:25 pm
but chanie this guy actually dresses like a poor guy!! how do you explain that one?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics