Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tzedakah knowing who and what to give!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

1stimer

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 3:09 pm
freilich wrote:
1st timer not year round Confused

the halacha is that on purim if someone stretches out his hand u give, not rest of yr. but it's not an aveira the rest of the yr... Wink

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 3:31 pm
why is it only on purim? it should be year round. Its a mitzvah to give tzedaka every day not only on purim.

1stimer

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 3:37 pm
there's a special mitzva on purim - kol haposchim yad nosnim lo.

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 4:00 pm
on purim escpecially when someone brings out their hand you should give them tzedaka but it could also apply for the entire year too.

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 4:08 pm
I came across a website talking about giving tzedaka to people. I would copy and paste it but it is too long.

http://www.myjewishlearning.co.....v.htm

It is very interesting

Leagal Eagal

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:31 pm
I teach my children that if somebody comes to your house, you should always give something but not too much, unless you know the person or the cause directly. As for street beggars, I make it a point of not giving and I make it a point of showing my children that I don't give, with the exception of 1 or 2 people whom I know. The reason for this is because MOST of the street beggars are not reputable and do not use the $ for good things, and because these people GENERALLY 1-are illegal aliens AND/OR 2-have not exhausted all avenues of governmental aide that may be available to them. I also think it's important for my children to see that even though tzedakah is a mitzvah, there is still room for discretion, and MOST IMPORTANT - you should only give tzedakah up to the point that you can afford to give.

IndyMom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 9:48 pm
Tzedaka is something that everyone should discuss iwth their rav. We had my husband's rosh yeshiva come over adn give us a private tzedaka class. It is not so simple. First of all, the rav said that if someone comes knocking on your door (a jew of course) you must give them seomthing. HE also told us to set up a seperate checking account just for our maaser which 10% of my husband's check gets transferred to weekly. he also went over what things are considered tzedaka and what things aren't. What income needs to have maaser taken adn what doesnt. Also, how to allocate the funds (close relatives first, distant people last). It is important to keep a cheshben of the tzedaka you give over a year so at the years end you can give what else is needed out. It's kind of like taxes and should be tracked well.

stem

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 12:42 am
We heard about a psak that says girls tuition to a Jewish school can be paid with maaser money since there is no Chiyuv (obligation) in teaching them Torah. The school is a Jewish institution which benifits from your Tzedaka but since you are not obligated with girls Torah learning, you are not technically getting something in return for your tuition. Surprised

IndyMom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 12:57 am
wow, that is very interesting.

There are also certain things that when you spend money on it, you can actually deduct it from your net income so when you figure out your maaser you are not including those things. I;m trying to remember what the Rav told us is included. I remember asking him a shaalah of whether I need to include my tuition for college ijn the net income since I plan to become a doctor and my tuition is just getting me there - he said it was a good shailah and had tolook it up. I can't remember the answer either. ah, these pregnancy hormones make me so forgetful. but it makes me think that it has to do with investing money in things that are supposed to give you parnasah you don't need to include in your net income. Anyone else hear of that?

supermom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 12:58 am
I heard that girls and boys school are alike that masaar money can be given for both because it is for chinuch

proudmom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 5:03 am
supermom wrote:
I heard that girls and boys school are alike that masaar money can be given for both because it is for chinuch

only for girls. boys are obligated to go to school

supermom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 6:39 am
if that is the case so why do a lot of people use their massar money to pay for tuition of boys schools?

proudmom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 7:48 am
They probably dont know its not allowed

AweSumThenSum

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 9:30 am
itz allowed up to a certain point, so ask ur rav.

proudmom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 9:35 am
AweSumThenSum wrote:
itz allowed up to a certain point, so ask ur rav.

I spoke to a rav and he told me that its only for a girl that you can use your maaser money for not for a boy because it is an obligation for a boy to study torah.

Chanie

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 11:03 am
however you are not allowed to take money for teaching torah.. the money you get is to compensate for a job you could have had, but didn't take, so that you can teach torah to children. Therefore I would think that you are in fact giving Tzeddaka to the teacher who wouldn't be able to support his family otherwise....
... of course I never asked about it yet, my son is not yeshiva ago yet.

supermom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 1:53 pm
chanie you have a point because a lot of boys schools don't have money to pay teachers and people don't really have money to pay for schooling so I would say it might even be a mitzvah to use your masaar money for tuition.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 9:51 pm
Quote:
however you are not allowed to take money for teaching torah.. the money you get is to compensate for a job you could have had, but didn't take, so that you can teach torah to children. Therefore I would think that you are in fact giving Tzeddaka to the teacher who wouldn't be able to support his family otherwise

Chanie good point Smile

elisecohen

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 7:28 am
A point on the original topic--we were told by our rav that one must give something to any Jew who comes in person asking, but you can put mail requests right in the trash. There is no obligation to give just because someone mails you a letter asking for the money.

For the purpose of dealing with those who come to the door, we keep a few envelopes with money already sealed inside in a drawer in the front room. One amount for those with a legitimate, dated letter, a different amount for those without who seem suspicious or are "repeaters."

I once had a man (a Jew, let me be clear) who barged his way into the house, then declared that the money I gave him was "not enough." When I told him it was all he was getting, he then started in on a story that he was also collecting for a relative and I "had" to give him more for that person. I got him out of the house, but that's the last time I'll ever let a tzedaka collector in. I just refuse to risk personal safety for the sake of "beautifying" the mitzvah. I'll give, and give politely, but I can't let people in, offer a drink, and so on, when there's a risk that they'll become demanding and abusive.

lucky

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 12:41 pm
I was in BP once and this lady came over to me asking for tzedakah. I only had large bills, so I just walked on. She followed me and did not stop shelting and yelling. She is a standard fixture on 13th Ave. Now when I go to BP I stay as far from her as I can.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics