Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Side dish with puff pastry dough?
1  2  Next

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:48 am
I have some puff pastry dough I would like to use up - can I make a side dish for shabbos (to go with chicken). I would prefer something not too complicated or time consuming.

Thanks!

key

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:08 am
the easiest that comes to mind is cabbage strudel (oh and its yum:)

2 onions
2 T oil
1 bag coleslaw mix - 1 lb.
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg (opt)
1 sheet of puff pastry

Saute onions and cabbage in the oil for abt 20 min. Add salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder. let cool completely. lay our sheet of puff pastry. add cabbage to the side and fold over and brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 350 for 35 minutes or until golden.

or you can make deli roll or knishes

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:10 am
You can also press it into muffin tins, fill with sweet potatoes, and bake. I hve a real recipe fro this at home if you're interested.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:13 am
potato bourekas with mushroom sauce
musroom/brocolli bourekas

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:36 am
saute mushrooms and onions and make turnovers. make knishes. deli roll..

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 11:48 am
pinktichel wrote:

do the potato bourekas with mushroom sauce take forever to make? (I can just picture boiling and mashing potatoes, frying onions an mushrooms, cutting the puff pastry sheet into squares, filling them, closing them, egging them, baking)

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 12:02 pm
SV wrote:
pinktichel wrote:

do the potato bourekas with mushroom sauce take forever to make? (I can just picture boiling and mashing potatoes, frying onions an mushrooms, cutting the puff pastry sheet into squares, filling them, closing them, egging them, baking)

hmmm, if you need to cut the dough it is more time consuming. You can use frozen sliced mushrooms for the sauce though....
The broccoli/spinach ones are definitely quicker...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:00 pm
swet potato borekas. really yum.

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:08 pm
Thank you both. But nobody eats brocolli/spinach/sweet potatoes in my house Crying

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:22 pm
Make regular potato borekas, no sauce needed.
Mash cooked potatoes. Add sauteed onions. Salt and pepper. Make borekas.

(Place 1-2 potatos in your chicken soup pot. The potatoes can totally cook along with the soup so no extra pots needed.)

morahaviva

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:36 pm
for an xtrea shortcut on burekas - use instant mashed potatoes

Ronit

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:40 pm
You can make apple cherry strudel.

If you really want it to be easy, use ready pie filling.

Roll out dough. Empty contents of can. Roll up. Cut slits. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hr.

Whatever you decide to do w/ flaky dough, do the actual baking close to shabbos. Flaky dough tastes best fresh.

Ronit

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:43 pm
Oops I just realized you ask for a side dish.

I thought you where just looking for an easy way to use it up.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 2:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:

(Place 1-2 potatos in your chicken soup pot. The potatoes can totally cook along with the soup so no extra pots needed.)

SV mentioned that her puff pastry was a roll, so to make life even easier, she could roll out the dough into a rectangle, fill it with potato mixture and then roll it deli roll style. Either cut into slices before baking, or after. LOL

btw, the oriental mushrooms in the purple cookbook make a delicious sauce for this...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 2:17 pm
pinktichel wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

SV mentioned that her puff pastry was a roll, so to make life even easier, she could roll out the dough into a rectangle, fill it with potato mixture and then roll it deli roll style. Either cut into slices before baking, or after. LOL

btw, the oriental mushrooms in the purple cookbook make a delicious sauce for this...

Great idea! And instead of a mushroom sauce, since that takes more time, she can just egg the roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds. As long as you season the potatoes well, you won't really need the sauce.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 2:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Great idea! And instead of a mushroom sauce, since that takes more time, she can just egg the roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds. As long as you season the potatoes well, you won't really need the sauce.

definitely, but I just love mushroom sauce! Wink

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 2:26 pm
pinktichel wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Would you mind typing up the recipe for the sauce?

Also, how would you keep the roll and the sauce warm for the Friday night seuda?

definitely, but I just love mushroom sauce! Wink

reed

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 8:05 pm
You can do the cherry-apple strudel as a side dish. After you put the cherry pie filling, shred an apple on top. My kids even do it by peeling shreds with a potato peeler. It's a quick side dish, if you like something sweet, or for dessert.

SV

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 8:37 pm
reed wrote:
You can do the cherry-apple strudel as a side dish. After you put the cherry pie filling, shred an apple on top. My kids even do it by peeling shreds with a potato peeler. It's a quick side dish, if you like something sweet, or for dessert.

mmm, that sounds like somthing my dh might enjoy - can you give me a more precise recipe (after you spread cherry pie filling and shred the apple, do you roll it up and bake? at what temp and how long?)

MetroMom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 8:49 pm
You can roll a square of puff pastry dough around a slice of pastrami and a piece of chicken cutlet. Roll them up and cover it in the dough. bake it on 375 for about 25 minutes....until golden. Then heat up duck sauce in a pot and pour some over each one before serving. You can keep the pot of duck sauce on the blech until you're ready to serve it. It's so easy and it's a huge hit whenever I serve it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes