Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bringing a baby to a restaurant
1  2  Next

workingmom3

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:02 pm
Is it ok to bring an infant to a fancy restaurant?

exaustedmom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:05 pm
IMHO yes, I went to many restaurants with my infant, however, when I made my reservations I always asked for a corner table and I asked if I could bring my baby along. But then again, depends on your baby.

safetynet

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:05 pm
Why not?

Freedom of space, isnt that an amendment?

But seriously if you want why not? Who is going to pay for the food? You , you get to decide

goodheart

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:09 pm
depends which restaurant ?
depends how old baby is?

workingmom3

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:09 pm
my baby is very good and will likely sleep through it but was wondering what the correct thing to do is. Would you get upset if you went out for a fancy dinner and someone walked in with a stroller?
thanks to those that have responded so far Smile

frumamn

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:11 pm
We took our infant to Herzog's winery where they have a really fancy restaurant- I forget hwat it's called. But the waitstaff there were so happy to "finally have a cute customer" as they put it. They took turns offering to hold him whenever they had a free minute. It was towards the end of lunch hour and they were all relaxed and happy to have a baby around in an environment that's usually hushed and proper

Lefty

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:12 pm
workingmom3 wrote:
my baby is very good and will likely sleep through it but was wondering what the correct thing to do is. Would you get upset if you went out for a fancy dinner and someone walked in with a stroller?
thanks to those that have responded so far Smile

I wound't if the baby is quiet all along, but if it starts to make an uproar and cry then it would bother me.

goodheart

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:13 pm
as long as ur baby doesn't make noise and turn over the place the its fine!

workingmom3

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:14 pm
baby is a few weeks old and very good. So you think its pretty much ok? not a definite no...

luvsdarkchocolate

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:14 pm
We went to a fancy restaurant when dd was 3months. It was a large group and we played pass the baby until she was fed and sleeping in her seat.

From past experience...before your kids are crawling, taking them to a restaurant is normally pretty easy if you baby is the kind to sleep after being fed.

Our kids were always good in their carriers either on the table or next to us in a stroller. The only thing to be aware of is that if you can't quiet your baby quickly, you may need to take them out of the room.

If it is just the 3 of you (mom, dad, baby) it may not be so great for you if you need to leave the room to quiet/change baby but if this a group thing with lots of laps - go for it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:22 pm
You can also go for an earlier sitting where it is usually less crowded. Enjoy!

frummy613

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:47 pm
I never enjoy fancy meals when I take the baby....it ruins the experiance since I cant concentrate on my dh!

levial

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:50 pm
I think its ok if you take responsibility that if the baby cries and disturbs others, that one of you leaves and walks the baby outside, goes to the car...the restroom, whatever you need to do. That means one of you may have cold food, but no cold stares from the other patrons.

I think it's unfair if you go, and the baby cries (and I know you said quiet, young baby, so it's not so much an issue) and the parents sit there, while you are trying to eat your romantic anniversary we never get out date night meal...

And for the record, sometimes I have taken DD and DH on a business trip (or DH has taken us) and we are in a town with great notable kosher restaurants. I have taken dd when she's 3 months, 6 months, 1 wiggly year, 18 walk me around months and so forth and now she's 4.5 and is welcome in any Manhattan overpriced but delicious gourmet restaurant. I do go "earlier" so dd is not in the middle of her bedtime, or even bathtime, even if it means dining at 5 or 6 when the place opens. I am willing to take the worst table. I am stocked with quiet toys that don't make loud noises when dropped, coloring items, books, and ask the wait staff to bring cucumbers, tomatoes, other kid-friendly food NOW with the menus...so DD is not starved. I have been known to save in a ziplock a hot dog or chicken nuggets from lunch, and feed her before we go, or right when we arrive. I have been known to take field trips to the restroom, the upstairs, downstairs, lobby or fishtank, to break up the sitting. I have been known to promise dessert and hold it ransom for good behavior (we can't get cake if you're going to raise your voice...)

In all of her 4.5 years, there was one meal where she had one yelp of the start of a tantrum and with swiss precision, I swooped up and took her outside. I told her in a whispering intense voice, stop crying or we wait for Abba here, do you want my help to calm down? (I held her and helped her get back in control) She nodded, calmed down and we walked in as if nothing happened. One older couple had to compliment us, what a nice job we did as parents and DD was (3yrs) INSULTED. "I'm the good girl and I'm doing a nice job!" she said petulantly. We all had a good laugh.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:53 pm
No one wants to hear a baby cry or kvetch, whether you're at a discount store or a fancy restaurant. If you can't leave the baby, stay home. You will all be better off.

melalyse

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:55 pm
frummy613 wrote:
I never enjoy fancy meals when I take the baby....it ruins the experiance since I cant concentrate on my dh!

I totally agree. For me going out is leaving me kids behind.

bnm

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 12:53 am
it depends where your going and what time.

for example, there is a chinese family style restaurant in BP that we frequent, 7:30 I feel comfortable taking my baby because its family supper time and there are usually other kids there. same for shwarma place in flatbush......

however 9 pm is already dates and couple going out and wanting a nice relaxing meal, no babies needed and we leave her home.

Seraph

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 2:42 am
chocolate moose wrote:
No one wants to hear a baby cry or kvetch, whether you're at a discount store or a fancy restaurant. If you can't leave the baby, stay home. You will all be better off.
Are you saying that people who have babies that might cry should never ever leave the house with their babies because their babies might cry and disturb other people?

Peanut2

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 8:10 am
If the baby cries in the restaurant you should take it outside until it calms down. I've been to a bunch of nice restaurants here in London where people just ignored their crying child. It drives me crazy.

workingmom3

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 10:27 am
well we went and baby slept the whole time and we got to enjoy our meal! Thanks for all your responses. We called in advance and asked to get a corner table ( thanks fo rthat advice). I took the baby in a car seat and put it on a saet next to me so stroller wouldnt be in the way. It worked out very well.

To those that think I should have stayed home... well what can I say-you cant expect people with nursing babies to not go out. Personally I dont get annoyed when theres a baby there as long as the parents are making a decent effort to keep them quiet and to go out if necessary.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 10:28 am
I went to the poshest European restaurant with my baby. Yes they were very surprised. But she didn't bother anyone and they got used to it.

It all depends on your baby. And a toddler is much worse than a baby.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette