Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The financial responsibilities of the community

yehudis

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 6:37 pm
To continue the topic from the other thread -- how much are the community members responsible for helping each other financially?

We're certainly not obligated to make more money just for the purpose of giving more tzedaka. So if someone makes enough money for his family, say, working part-time, there is no reason for him to work full time just because there are people in his community who could use the money. (I heard this from my husband -- can ask him for the source.)

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 1:36 pm
these halachos are addressed, here are books and tapes on this subject:

http://www.artscroll.com/cgi-bin/quicksearch

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 1:40 pm
Yes we are responsible for each other and those of us who can should. Infact in one way or other, everyone of the community can. Wether it's monetary, physical or emotional support!

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 1:51 pm
and rather than feel "put upon" by many requests, those who have what to give should feel extremely GRATEFUL that they can be givers rather than takers

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 1:56 pm
There are some who have hardly a penny to their name and give Tzedaka generously and those people alot of times are shunned since why give, when charity should begin at home.
And there are some who have, but feel people have to earn it. Why should my hardwork money go to feed this shnorer.
Tzedaka is a mitzvah and a mindset not wether or not one has. And ia"h I hope to instill this into our children too!

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 3:47 pm
This is a very very complicated issue.

Of course, we should help those who are less fortunate.

I think the question arises b/c ther is a number of people who are happy to rely on help & do not do anything to improve their situation.
Or, even worth, take advantage of it & cheat it

Another 'problem' group are people who are financially irresponcible & end up as communities responcibility b/c of their own ... well... unsmartness...

The truth is, I think we all could go w/ financial education classes in hight schools

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 20 2005, 8:08 pm
from a Daily Kindness e-mail

* With Passover coming, Jewish homemakers everywhere are busy preparing for the holiday for their families and guests.

As before every holiday, our neighborhood attracts many people who come door to door for charity. In my hurry to work without interruption, I often felt annoyed at these charity collectors for ringing the doorbell and taking me away from whatever I was doing. Then I'd have to scrape together money from my wallet, kitchen drawer, children's desks, etc., and felt very annoyed.

So, I reversed my perspective. I have learned to come to see each of these people as a gift, because they have come to teach me something. I also realized that it is a blessing to be able to be on the giving end, and if I give with a smile and an open heart, Hashem, G-d will make sure I have enough to give.

Now I often listen to someone's story, sympathize with his hardship, and offer him a drink. Sometimes someone is collecting for another family member, perhaps to marry off a child or to pay for an operation.

I thought to myself once, "What would it take for me to have to go door to door to ask people for financial assistance..." so I could relate to these people with kindness and respect. Often they give me a blessing for health and good things.

It feels a whole lot better to begin the holiday with the good feeling that I related lovingly to each Jew who crossed my doorstep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics