Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tzitzit in/out
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Blessing1

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 7:45 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband wears his tzitzis out when when my son turns three I’d also love him to wear his tzitzis out. Hubby says no one should be ashamed of being Jewish and frum
Smile

This thread is 10 years old....
In any case, kids don't wear their tzitzis out. Please don't make your son be the odd one out.
In some sect though, the older boys pull out the strings of the tzitzis.
It has nothing to do with being ashamed of being jewish.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:50 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This thread is 10 years old....
In any case, kids don't wear their tzitzis out. Please don't make your son be the odd one out.
In some sect though, the older boys pull out the strings of the tzitzis.
It has nothing to do with being ashamed of being jewish.
Of course some do. Its each boy's choice how they do it.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:48 pm
I said I’d love them to not that I’m gonna force them to lol... it’s my husbands department lol he deals with the boys I deal with the girls we deal with the children

Rappel

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:53 pm
The Yalkut Yosef says to tuck them in, to protect them.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:35 am
It seems to be a generational shift. Dh's father a"h wore them tucked in, always. Dh wears them out inside our yishuv because that's what many of the frummer guys here do. But if he goes to Jerusalem or to any events that require more formal dressing, he tucks them in because he doesn't want to "exaggerate". Our sons are gan-age and in their ganim the minhag is clearly to hang them out all the time.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:47 am
I remember reading in the biography of Reb Elya Lopian zt"l that it didn't used to be the norm for yeshiva guys to wear tzitzis out but that R Elya instituted this in his yeshiva, and the practice spread to other yeshivos so that now it has become standard. That would explain the generational shift.
I read the biography about 20 years ago, so I'm not remembering much more. Maybe I'll go back and check on the reasons given ...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:50 am
Ds3 wears them rolled up and tucked into the little corner pockets so that he doesn’t PEE ALL OVER THEM

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Of course some do. Its each boy's choice how they do it.

I never saw a little boy wearing tzitzis outside over his shirt. Only in meah shearim.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:29 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband wears his tzitzis out when when my son turns three I’d also love him to wear his tzitzis out. Hubby says no one should be ashamed of being Jewish and frum
Smile

Everyone should follow their minhag. If someone does not have a family minhag (or doesn't know it) he should ask his rav. Tzitzis is not just a feel good thing, there are many halachos involved.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:08 am
There's a story, and I've been trying unsuccesfully to remember the name of the rav, from the times of the maskilim, some story in Russia, I think? Someone help me here PLEASE- The story is either in Rabbi Twersky's book Not Just Stories or A Touch Of Wisdom, A Touch Of Wit (Rabbi Shmuel Himelstein).

Some Russian official asked the Rabbi (I seem to remember him being named Yitzchok) why his tzitzis are out of his shirt, while the more modern person next to him has his inside,.
He answered that tzitzis are in order to remember the mitzvos. But I am quite old, I have a terrible memory, and need I a very big reminder.

Does anybody recognignize this story, or have the book?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:23 am
My husband wears his tzitzis out so my son will wear his out...??

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:33 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband wears his tzitzis out so my son will wear his out...??

In chassidish circles it's common that boys start wearing their tzitzis out at their bar mitzvah. They wear their tzitzis in till then. Some boys wear just the strings out when they get a little older.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:53 am
Yes I was talking about the strings! Just the strings. Sorry should’ve clarified

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:03 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yes I was talking about the strings! Just the strings. Sorry should’ve clarified

There are boys who weat just the strings out, but not really little boys. I think from around age 8-10. It's basically the very frum that do this.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:34 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I never saw a little boy wearing tzitzis outside over his shirt. Only in meah shearim.

Blessing1 wrote:
In chassidish circles it's common that boys start wearing their tzitzis out at their bar mitzvah. They wear their tzitzis in till then. Some boys wear just the strings out when they get a little older.

There are some chassidish boys that wear their tzitzis out on Shabbos

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:42 am
Anyone wearing tzizis gets 5 stars from me . Dh and do wear then tucked in. Much of my extended family do not wear.

Hillery

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:58 am
Our men wear the entire tzitzis on their shirt, and the kids underneath but the strings stick out.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:07 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I thought they were talking solely about the strings.

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:11 pm
Hillery wrote:
Our men wear the entire tzitzis on their shirt, and the kids underneath but the strings stick out.

From what age do the boys wear the strings out?

zaq

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:29 pm
tizunabi wrote:

As a side anecdote: my dh's grandfather used to say there are things that are more intrinsically jewish than tzizit that he doesn't parade around with outside his pants.

OOOOH, Miz Scarlett, you is BAAAAAAD!

In some circles, wearing tzitzit out is considered gaivadik (arrogant). In others it's considered the only proper way to observe the mitzvah. Some people compromise by wrapping the fringes around their belt, so they are 'out' but not flapping in the breeze. I don't much care one way or another, though I do rather like the compromise. But please, rabosai, no matter what your age , if you're going to wear them outside your clothes, make sure they're clean and in good shape! To wear them when they're grey and tattered is a disgrace to both the wearer and the mitzvah itself.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions