Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Being sued for violations in asbestos removal in new home

amother

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:23 am
I recently moved into a new home and we hired a professional company to remove asbestos on piping in the basement. we are now being sued by the department of environmental protection for $40,000 due to violations in the asbestos removal - not putting up proper signs, not showering properly, etc. it seems so crazy that we tried doing everything right and were relying on a professional company and are now being sued, the asbestos company is also being sued but they are separate lawsuits. we are being sued for allowing the people to carry through with the violations. I don't know any lawyers that specialize in this and I'm not sure where to turn. even if I hired a lawyer then the fees would really add up. we are being offered a settlement prior to the court date of 7,000 and I have no idea if we should be doing that or not.

itsme

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:39 am
personally I think go for the settelment it is alot of $$$ but get out of it quick!! I do know someone that it didnt end up to good

find a good lawyer and take advice

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 9:55 am
I work in the legal profession and I can tell you the best thing you can do is get an attorney. There are gemachim that offer legal aide services or you can call the local bar association to get the name of an atty. If I can help please let me know.

mpk

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 10:43 am
This is eye-opening. I need asbestos removal (tiles, plaster, roofing) in Brooklyn and the cheapest quote I got was 45K. So if I bite the bullet and pay I can still be sued. Any guidance?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics