Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Back to sleep?
Previous  1  2

How do you put baby to sleep?
on back  
 67%  [ 19 ]
on side  
 17%  [ 5 ]
on tummy  
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 28

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 6:45 am
Thanks for all your facts. It was interesting to know.

Quote:
Suffocation can be determined on autopsy, and the diagnosis of SIDS can only be made after autopsy has determined that there is no identifiable cause of death.

How does putting a baby to sleep on their back make a difference if it isn't suffacation? How do babies suddenly die?

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 6:56 am
You better believe my kids sleep on their backs! Tev has a bit of a flat side, but we are easily working on that. Lots of tummy time (which honestly is easier not that he can roll cause he is tolerating being on his tummy more), less time in swings, bouncy seats, etc... not such a biggie. And when he goes in those thing prop the head so he changes sides frequently.

sara

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 7:15 am
Quote:
I'm amazed how many of you still put your babies to sleep on their stomachs

In my case it's not still, it's again. With my 1st one the doctors scared me so much, I kept on turning my son over. With my 2nd one - she just DID NOT SLEEP on her stomach & woke up when turned over in her sleep.

By the way - the 'other' name of it - "kot death" brings me back to the co-sleeping thread we had here a while ago.

And there is also reaserch that shows that sids might be connected to immunisations. Now, don't kill me for this one, but if we're trying to have an honest discussion here, we have to take this into account too.

rydys

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 10:33 am
How do babies just die in their sleep if its not suffocation? If you can figure that out, you'll get a nobel prize! The reason the back to sleep discovery was so important is that no one knows what causes SIDS and no one knows why putting the baby on their back reduces the risk. The definition of SIDS is a healthy baby who dies in their sleep _with no identifiable cause after autopsy_. There are many reasons why babies die in their sleep, but the definition of SIDS is very specific.

As for vaccines being associated with SIDS, there are NO studies to support that. What happens in these cases is that a child died of SIDS and the parents want an explanation and it happens to be that the child was recently immunized so they grabbed onto that as a cause. Once an anti-vaccination group gets a few of these stories together, they publish it, but have no objective data to support it.

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 11:07 am
Quote:
What happens in these cases is that a child died of SIDS and the parents want an explanation and it happens to be that the child was recently immunized so they grabbed onto that as a cause

Food for thought though. And maybe immunizations have become better with the years, so thats why we hear of sids less often b"h. They themselves say they do not know the reason!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 7:42 pm
Quote:
As for vaccines being associated with SIDS, there are NO studies to support that

well, the studies are payed for by the shot manufacturers, so I'm not sure how much I can trust them....

Either way, it's "cot death", see above

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Wed, Feb 02 2005, 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 7:50 pm
Is there anything I can do to reduce the risk of cot death?
Yes. There are some key steps parents and carers should take:

· Place your baby on the back to sleep

· Do not let your baby get too hot

· Keep baby’s head uncovered - place your baby with their feet to the foot of the cot, to prevent wriggling down under the covers

· If your baby is unwell, seek medical advice promptly

· It’s safest to sleep your baby in a cot in your bedroom for the first six months.

· It’s dangerous to share a bed with your baby if you or your Husband: ·
· take drugs or medication that makes you sleepy

· feel very tired

· It’s very dangerous to sleep together on a sofa, armchair or settee

There are also risks of accidents when bedsharing with babies: you might roll over in your sleep and suffocate your baby, or your baby could get caught between the wall and the bed, or the baby could roll out of the bed and be injured.

From a site I googled that does sids research in England

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 7:58 pm
hmmmm

now, everybody should go back and re-read the co-sleeping thread which tells you why you can't suffocate the baby in your sleep if you're not on drugs/ medicated/ overtired.

In addition, thre is evidence that shows that having a heart beat next to them helps babies keep their system in sinc. (sorry, no sources, don't rememver where I saw it)

Also, you might want to explain this to my baby (the one on the left), who doesn't sleep anywhere besides my bed Confused
If I put her down elswhere, she wakes up and cryes.

I really wouldn't mind having my bed back..........

1stimer

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 6:18 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
In addition, thre is evidence that shows that having a heart beat next to them helps babies keep their system in sinc. (sorry, no sources, don't rememver where I saw it)

If you saw this the same place that I saw it then it was from dr sears (www.askdrsears.com). Evidence? I'm not so sure I would call it that - it is one story that dr sears tells.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 7:50 am
no, I red it in a few parenting magazines in doctors' offices

Yosefa

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 10:47 am
SIDS is usually caused by sleep apnea. Babies lungs are imature and they breath unevenly and somtimes, chas v' shalom, they jusy stop (sleep apnea occurs in adults, too, usually a disease.) That seems to be why breast fed and back-babies are at lower risk, because they don't sleep as deeply. More breast fed babies sleep with their mommies, also, probably. So yes, your baby probably does sleep better on their tummy, but better may not be safer.

If I put my baby down, it's on her back, but I'm still not convinced by the research. There's just no real good explanation for it, I guess because we haven't really explained SIDS. I think we should work on this before sending more men to Mars.

My baby seems to roll onto her side and sometimes tummy. She's not even four weeks. Am I crazy?

baby's mom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 8:30 pm
Quote:
"ForeverYoung"]if I slept on my back as a baby, I (and many others) wouldn't be around H'V, as I threw up in my sleep.
B'H I was on my tummy & it didn't go right back & choke me, but just messed up my bed & my head
(my poor mother)

I couldn't agree more. Most of us- if not all- of our generation slept on our stomachs. A newborn feels more secure and comfortable that way.

When on their backs they are like an upside down kacaroutch (sp?) they startle themselves in all the space around them.

I met this lady who's grandchild died of SIDS while the babysitter was taking care of her. The baby wasn’t sleeping!! She was on her lap!!!?
The way I see it Hashem is in control-stomach, back....

It seems like every few years the researchers change the direction hoping to one day find a reason for this Sudden death. A few years ago mothers were told to only put their babies on their sides..what’s next?

Quote:
Another point - children who sleep on their backs haver lower muscle tone & when they learn to turn over by themselves they're at much more risc of choking b/c they might not be able to turn their had for more air.

PS b/c of the back to sleep campain, the physical developement delay is a big issue now. So AAP, instead of admitting their mistake, now reccomends to give babies as much tummy time as possible when they're awake.

FY-I Agree again. Babies on stomach learn to support themselves. I see my baby when she wakes up she uses a lot of her neck muscles and strengthens herself that way. Tummy time doesn’t give the same opportunity. They have more control in their sleep to turn head from side to side.

Not to mention that she liked being on her stomach from the beginning. Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics