Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Flying with 10 months old - hep!!!

IamI

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 7:48 am
We're soon going on a 9 hour flight with dd who will then be 10 months old. I am REALLY REALLY nervous!! We asked about the bassinet and they said they only have I think one or two and you can't book in advance only when you get there, same goes for front row seats.
Please help me! All advise or tips are very welcome.
Also how in the world do you nurse on a plane (I never nurse in public).
TIA
PS. I never flew with a baby before (Could you tell? Wink )

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 7:55 am
my kid got a bassinet - lucky me Smile nursed under a blanket, tucked in on the sides. he slept alot. brought some lady finger cookies and books and toys.... also had a 2.5 yr old to entertain Smile

ended up being alot better than my nightmares Smile was actually quite enjoyable..

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:12 am
"Same for the front row seats" is because that's where the bassinettes go! They can't have hook ups for more than 3 bassinettes because there's nowhere else to put them. Oh, and most 10 month olds (MOST, not all) are too big by height and/or weight for the bassinettes anyway.

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:16 am
my dd when we flew a while back was 14 months and a BIG kid. they let her have a bassinet, no questions asked. my now 16 month old was then less than a year had no problem - he is smaller though.

generally until a year they dont bat an eye. there is a weight limit, not an age limit.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:51 am
Bassinet--try to check in early. It's basically first-come first-serve. Anyway you won't be able to use bassinet during the take-off/landing (which can be annoying if the child is asleep). Did you buy a separate seat just in case? Depending on how crowded the plane is, there's no harm asking the check-in rep to see if he/she can keep one seat empty next to you.

Nursing--just bring a big scarf (I personally find airplane blankets to be too itchy/synthetic). For a long-haul flight, the cabin usually is dimmed.

On other tips, just make sure to bring extra diapers/change of clothes, and wipes. You can ask for the buggy to be "gate checked". Nesia tova.

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 10:42 am
fiddle wrote:
generally until a year they dont bat an eye. there is a weight limit, not an age limit.

Anyone know what the weight limit is? We'll be going to the States when DS is about 7 1/2 months but he's a BIG baby...

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 1:07 pm
7kg I believe...

shev

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 1:13 pm
I just flew about 2 months ago and my travel agent booked me a bassinet, meaning he got me a front row seat, I also flew about 4 months ago when my baby waas abt. 2 months, I didnt use the same travel agent as the other time and he booked a bassinet for me.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 1:20 pm
Nursing covers are great for nursing descreetly. I use this brand http://www.bebeaulait.com/. they are cheaper on Amazon.

I don't know where you are - but if you are in Israel check out this site. She makes similar covers. http://modestaprons.weebly.com/

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 1:31 pm
Marion wrote:
7kg I believe...

Exploding anger I think he's hit that ALREADY...

mltjm

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 2:07 pm
I think I got shot for suggesting this in another, similar thread, but there's always benadryl Smile

The only thing is you should test drive it before the flight to make sure it makes your baby sleepy and not hyper.

shabri

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:07 pm
mominisrael2 wrote:
fiddle wrote:

Anyone know what the weight limit is? We'll be going to the States when DS is about 7 1/2 months but he's a BIG baby...

each airline is different. Delta has some that say up to 20lbs

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:20 pm
Continental bassinet weight limit - 22 lbs (10 kg) or less.

IamI

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 3:17 am
Does anyone know what the weight limit for american airlines is?
Any other tips?
I am REALLY nervous!!!

Last edited by IamI on Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

IamI

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:01 pm
bump

dewyt

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:41 pm
if ur nervous then send me a PM with ur reasons! nothin to be nervous. I assume ur going with ur husband as well? I just flew to australia with my two children almost 4 yrs old and 10 month old boys without my husband and I managed alright! got the bassinets, and yea it fit my baby from head to toe but when he slept he went in there so I had some time to free my hands. any q's just ask me. it was a 30 hour trip door to door btw, 22 hrs flying plus waiting...

Toot

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 7:43 pm
dewyt wrote:
if ur nervous then send me a PM with ur reasons! nothin to be nervous. I assume ur going with ur husband as well? I just flew to australia with my two children almost 4 yrs old and 10 month old boys without my husband and I managed alright! got the bassinets, and yea it fit my baby from head to toe but when he slept he went in there so I had some time to free my hands. any q's just ask me. it was a 30 hour trip door to door btw, 22 hrs flying plus waiting...

Hi, I saw this thread from a little while ago...

I'm flying from NY to LA with my husband and 11month old, and am also pretty nervous about the flight. Do you have any tips for good portable toys, or any other words of wisdom? Thanks so much!! (I'm going to start a thread on this too, so you can either PM me back, or just answer there.)

mommyof2bah

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:26 pm
Toot wrote:
dewyt wrote:

Hi, I saw this thread from a little while ago...

I'm flying from NY to LA with my husband and 11month old, and am also pretty nervous about the flight. Do you have any tips for good portable toys, or any other words of wisdom? Thanks so much!! (I'm going to start a thread on this too, so you can either PM me back, or just answer there.)

We've been flying from ny to la since my first child was 2 1/2 weeks and now there are three of them b'h. I live in NY, but you can do it anywhere, take a backpack for your child with all of his/her things, blankie, cup, coloring book, crayolns, books, quiet toys that they enjoy. I recently went to Amazing Svings and they had mini etch a sketch toys, these paint and glue elmer books that only show up on certain paper etc. Also, if you have an ipod or something that you can load up with Uncle Moishy they love that too Smile These suggestions are more for a toddler, but a smaller baby is even easier. Take a blanet or a nursing wrap to nurse on the plane, if your child takes finger food then bring lots of little snacks and remember every kid will cry and kvetch on a plane a little bit, dont worry and you'll be fine!

Toot

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:34 pm
We've flown with her a few times already, but it was much easier when she was really little, because we could rock her to sleep and she wouldn't try to squirm to crawl and cruise down the aisle (not that that's happened yet, I'm just imagining... )

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone have good plane toy suggestions for 11mo old? I need to get some new toys anyway, so I figure the plane is as good a place as any to surprise her!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics