Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Cholent: Crockpot v. Pot

Which method works best for you:
Crockpot or slow cooker  
 72%  [ 29 ]
Pot on blech or plata  
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 6:45 pm
Please answer ....

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 6:59 pm
I think a crockpot is more energy efficient, takes up less space, and emits less heat, which I usually prefer.

I don't like to leave the stove on and have little counter space as well.

MommyZ

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 9:56 pm
My DH prefers the way chulent tastes from a pot and I get a lot of compliments.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 10:01 pm
crockpot - I use those crock pot bags, which means absolutely zilch cleanup.

chaylizi

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 10:20 pm
Crockpot with liner bag

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 10:48 pm
My son said those plastic bags aren't healthy to cook in.

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 11:15 pm
I love the crockpot. I don't use the bags b ut I never have trouble cleaning it out. Just soak for a bit and then clean. Doesn't take me any longer than cleaning any other dish.

chatz

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 11:49 pm
pot..
a good pot can also be a quick cleanup job. Maximum, you soak it a bit. I like the taste better.

..actually, truthfully, it's cause I grew up with cholent in a pot. I got a crockpot almost 2 years ago as a gift which I've used a grand total of one time - and not even for shabbos.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 1:41 am
Crockpot - easy cleanup
Pot on stove/blech - chulent sooo delish never any left to clean up!!! You cant compare the taste.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 3:15 pm
okay - thank you - anyone else ?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 3:30 pm
How about cholent in the oven?

chatz

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 11:48 pm
Tamiri wrote:

That's an interesting one. How does that work? (The oven is on for 18 hours plus?)

CM - what do you use?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 11:57 pm
Crockpot... easy, and no need to worry about adding water to chulent that is drying out on the stovetop.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Crockpot... easy, and no need to worry about adding water to chulent that is drying out on the stovetop.
Why would cholent dry out on the stovetop? I had the opposite issue. It'd dry out in the crockpot.

I do it on the stovetop.

Ronit

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:15 am
I do it on the stovetop, but I think the crockpot is better. I'm always having problems with my cholent.

I've done cholent in the oven, & it was divine. The only think is that my oven gets to hot over shabbos for me to do it in the oven for the Shabbos. It is great when I do it for Thursday night dinner & then transfer the leftovers into a pot for shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:16 am
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Why would cholent dry out on the stovetop? I had the opposite issue. It'd dry out in the crockpot.

I do it on the stovetop.

When I do it on the stovetop, there are many factors involved (like how high the flame is this week, where the pot is situated on the blech this week, when the chulent was started, etc.) I always need to check up on the chulent and have boiling water ready in the perculator in case the chulent starts drying out.
In the crockpot, the setting is the same each week and I know precisely how much water is needed, and it turns out the same every week.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:12 am
chatz wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

That's an interesting one. How does that work? (The oven is on for 18 hours plus?)

CM - what do you use?
I don't know what you young wives know about "the olden days", but how do you think people made cholent back in the day? There were no crockpots or platas. So either you had a blech on your nonexistant range, or you brought your pot to the town oven to bubble away from erev Shabbat until you were ready to eat it.
In modern times, you stick the pot in the oven on low (under 300F but hot enough to keep the pot simmering) and pull it out on Shabbat. Yum.

Ronit

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:49 am
Tamiri wrote:
chatz wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

CM - what do you use?
I don't know what you young wives know about "the olden days", but how do you think people made cholent back in the day? There were no crockpots or platas. So either you had a blech on your nonexistant range, or you brought your pot to the town oven to bubble away from erev Shabbat until you were ready to eat it.
In modern times, you stick the pot in the oven on low (under 300F but hot enough to keep the pot simmering) and pull it out on Shabbat. Yum.

I agree. The tastiest cholent is made in the oven.

Bella:D

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:32 am
My mother in law started making cholent in the oven this year. She used to do it in the crock pot but since she leaves her oven on over shabbat anyways she decided to try it. She makes it in a glass baking dish and double covers it with foil, it comes out amazing!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:46 am
I haven't made cholent for a long time as dh eats in shul and my kids aren't always around. Now they tell me that they want cholent, and my dd graciously eats the leftovers cold for lunch if the cholent is really good.

The loshon "is really good" is the sticking point here ...

I have a plata for Shabbos since all of us eat at different times. It's hot and the cholent gets way overcooked. I've tried propping it up on a muffin tin but the cholent hasn't been great.

That's why I'm thinking that a slw cooker, which is designed for such a stew, would be good to buy. I have had vrious crockots over the years but everything broke years ago.

The one I'm strongly learning towards is the Hamilton Beach three in one - it's a crcokpot with three separate sized inserts - 2, 4, and 6 qts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics