Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Do you think it's OK to post recipes from cookbooks online?
1  2  Next

Do you think it's OK to post recipes from cookbooks?
Yes, why not  
 38%  [ 10 ]
No, the recipes are copyrighted  
 38%  [ 10 ]
I never thought about it  
 7%  [ 2 ]
Hey, I paid good money for it, I can do what I want  
 15%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

shiradye

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:10 pm
I'd like to know if anyone thought about this topic when posting recipes from cookbooks online, like on Imamother. Please discuss your opinion.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:13 pm
If you give credit to the author and cookbook and you post a single recipe, then it's okay. I can't vote because you don't have that option.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:20 pm
I agree with lady godiva, if I'm posting from cookbook I usually mention where I got it from

STovah

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:31 pm
Chowhound has specific guidelines for posting recipes from copyrighted material - take a look.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:40 pm
I always change recipes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:52 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
If you give credit to the author and cookbook and you post a single recipe, then it's okay. I can't vote because you don't have that option.
I agree.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:57 pm
US Copyright Office re recipes:

Quote:
Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Protection under the copyright law (title 17 of the U.S. Code, section 102) extends only to “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form (a copy). “Original” means merely that the author produced the work by his own intellectual effort, as distinguished from copying an existing work. Copyright protection may extend to a description, explanation, or illustration, assuming that the requirements of the copyright law are met.

For information on how to register, see the reverse side of this letter. For further information on copyright, deposit requirements, and registration procedures, see Circular 1, Copyright Basics. Deposit requirements depend on whether the work has been published at the time of registration:

* If the work is unpublished, one complete copy
* If the work was first published in the United States on or after January 1, 1978, two complete copies of the best edition
* If the work was first published in the United States before January 1, 1978, two complete copies as first published • If the work was first published outside the United States, one complete copy of the work as first published
* If the work is a contribution to a collective work and was published after January 1, 1978, one complete copy of the best edition of the collective work or a photocopy of the contribution itself as it was published in the collective work

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.

YMMV re other countries.

Love My Babes

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:57 pm
is it so different than going to someones house, eating something good and asking for the recipe that came from the cookbook? if ur posting the whole cookbook is one thing, but if I dont plan on buying the cookbook and it has a couple good recipes then I dont see y not

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:03 pm
I agree with most about posting a couple of recipes here or there and specifying the book. I would not buy a cookbook for one recipe. In fact, the fact that so many people were so happy with the purple spice and spirit cookbook recipes that were posted here inspired me to buy it myself. And I love it.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:39 pm
Legally there is no issue, as long as you change some of the wording. You don't even need to give credit AFAIK.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:41 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Legally there is no issue, as long as you change some of the wording. You don't even need to give credit AFAIK.

What about halachicly? Does anyone know? I don't. But then I don't usually post recipes.

shiradye

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:49 pm
Barbara wrote:

Quote:
Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Protection under the copyright law (title 17 of the U.S. Code, section 102) extends only to “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form (a copy). “Original” means merely that the author produced the work by his own intellectual effort, as distinguished from copying an existing work. Copyright protection may extend to a description, explanation, or illustration, assuming that the requirements of the copyright law are met.

For information on how to register, see the reverse side of this letter. For further information on copyright, deposit requirements, and registration procedures, see Circular 1, Copyright Basics. Deposit requirements depend on whether the work has been published at the time of registration:

* If the work was first published in the United States on or after January 1, 1978, two complete copies of the best edition
* If the work was first published in the United States before January 1, 1978, two complete copies as first published • If the work was first published outside the United States, one complete copy of the work as first published
* If the work is a contribution to a collective work and was published after January 1, 1978, one complete copy of the best edition of the collective work or a photocopy of the contribution itself as it was published in the collective work

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.

YMMV re other countries.

So, according to the first sentence quoted, you can list ingredients, but it may be considered questionable at the very least if the amounts are listed, and directions surely would be problematic.

What is YMMV?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:02 pm
your method/mileage may vary.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:04 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I agree with most about posting a couple of recipes here or there and specifying the book. I would not buy a cookbook for one recipe. In fact, the fact that so many people were so happy with the purple spice and spirit cookbook recipes that were posted here inspired me to buy it myself. And I love it.

I agree completely!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:29 pm
Thanks Barbara. I'd always thought that if it was published you can pass it on to a friend (I.e. offlist), make a personal photocopy etc. but you can't publish it in such a public forum. I'll have to review that again.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:39 pm
Based on what I've learned in academia (so, take with a grain of salt!) the big issues are attribution and what proportion of the work you're duplicating. A recipe, out of a book and attributed, isn't a problem. The entire milchig section could be, and so would be posting it and claiming it's your own invention.

If we want to include a chapter of a book in readings, we can photocopy it and distribute it. If it's more than one chapter or more than 10% of the total, we're required to jump through the usual hoops. Not sure how much of that is legal and how much is common practice, since heaven knows they're not always the same.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:48 pm
shiradye wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Quote:

YMMV re other countries.

So, according to the first sentence quoted, you can list ingredients, but it may be considered questionable at the very least if the amounts are listed, and directions surely would be problematic.

What is YMMV?

your milage may vary.

Not legal advice, yadda, yadda, but ... you can list the ingredients, including measurements. What you can't do is copy the instructions word for word, as that is a literary expression. What you also can't do is reproduce the entire book (selection of recipes).

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:51 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Based on what I've learned in academia (so, take with a grain of salt!) the big issues are attribution and what proportion of the work you're duplicating. A recipe, out of a book and attributed, isn't a problem. The entire milchig section could be, and so would be posting it and claiming it's your own invention.

If we want to include a chapter of a book in readings, we can photocopy it and distribute it. If it's more than one chapter or more than 10% of the total, we're required to jump through the usual hoops. Not sure how much of that is legal and how much is common practice, since heaven knows they're not always the same.

Re recipes, I posted the US Copyright Office official policy and statement of the law in the US.

Re other matters, I really can't express a legal opinion. I can say that its best not to rely upon *common practice* or what people say on the net re any legal issue, including those involving copyright.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:57 pm
Barbara wrote:
Re other matters, I really can't express a legal opinion. I can say that its best not to rely upon *common practice* or what people say on the net re any legal issue, including those involving copyright.

As long as we follow department guidelines, we're covered 8)

Good point, though, in any kind of institutional setting it's important to clarify what can be done and who's on the hook if there's a problem.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 8:12 pm
Barbara wrote:
WriterMom wrote:

Re recipes, I posted the US Copyright Office official policy and statement of the law in the US.

Having researched this for another forum, what I wrote above was the law a little while back. Not sure if there's been any change.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics