Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Quick fish ideas for Shabbos
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 1:51 pm
A roll of fish takes two hours and heats and smells up the house - what are your suggestions for a change that doesn't take so long.

Besides tuna patties (not Shabbos'dike), herring (we eat that a lot in shul), smoked fish (we get that sometimes), or fresh fish like salmon or whitefish which we don't like that much.

Thanks!

girliesmommy

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 2:16 pm
When I don't have gefilte fish I use canned salmon w/ mayo and spices and I use an ice cream scoop to place a scoop on a piece of lettuce on each person's plate and most people love it!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 2:20 pm
Let the roll defrost a bit (doesn't take long in this weather). Take a sharp kinfe, cut slices & fry. It does smell up the house a bit though. I like girlies idea. Might try that next week.

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 2:23 pm
tilapia is good and it cooks fast, we also eat smoked fish sometimes

koolmother

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 2:30 pm
you could do what momof3 said, but instead of frying it just spray your pan with pam the put the frozen slices on it then spray the slices and bake at 375 until brown , it doesnt take long, doesnt smell up the house, and isnt fatning like frying it and everybody loves it, and just like you said its a change.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 2:38 pm
yeah but you have to plan ahead for that. you have to actually have the tilapia!

I guess I need something more spur of the moment.

cindy324

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 5:45 pm
My MIL buys fresh ground white fish, makes it ito patties and bakes them. Delicious room temp. and cold! If you want the recipe let me know, I'll ask her for it.

red sea

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 5:54 pm
lemon pepper tuna, now thats easy Yes

serve with veg the way people serve chopped liver.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 09 2006, 6:15 pm
okay, cindy, if you can get the recipe, I'd like to try it.

cindy324

Post Sat, Jun 10 2006, 11:01 pm
I just logged on, it's probably too late to call MIL, so I'll get it for you tomorrow

cindy324

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 2:44 pm
OK SaraG I got it for you.

My mIL makes alot , so this recipe is for 3lbs. of ground fish. You can use either all white (a bit pricy, or, like my MIL, buy the ground mixed fish, it has everything from pike to carp to white fish in it and it's cheaper.)

Adjust recipe according to how much you want to make.

3lbs. ground fresh fish
2 grated onions
4 eggs
half of a large challa soaked and squeezed
4-5 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
bit of oil - to hold together mixture

Preheat oven to 450
Mix very well fish mixture, grease cookie sheet, or spray with PAM. Shape fish into palm size patties. Place on baking sheet. Bake on 450 for the first half hour. After half hour, loosen patties on sheet with spatula, turn temp. to 350 and bake until golden brown. about another half hour.

It's very good when well done, served room temp with some lemon juiced drizzled over it.

Enjoy!

willow

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 2:57 pm
Hmmm cindy324 that does sound good Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 8:10 pm
cindy, can I use any defrosted roll of fish, ya think?

cindy324

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 8:24 pm
HMM... I don't see why not What Can't do any harm.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 9:13 pm
With those fish loafs I defrost and make baked fish muffins( really patties but looks good enuf for kids to take 2 each) Smile I also make sweet and sour fish balls same sauce that one would make for meatballs but with fish. I have made stuffed deboning the whole fish myself only 3x in my life. B/c the kids won't touch it only the adults and guest love it. And for spending so much time on it and not having evryone eat it imo is a waste of energy. So yep thats what I do Tongue Out Tongue Out

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 9:32 pm
Tefilah, how long do you cook them, and do you serve them hot or cold? Sounds GREAT!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 9:57 pm
Truthfully the sweet and sour imo tastes better hot fri night then cold on shabbos day. My husband though doesn't see a difference.
With the baked muffins it makes no diff.... eighter way it always gets finished.

I run a boil then plonk the balls in on low heat not simmer though for oh about 30-45min depending. Never really timed it just keep checking and once you see them floating you know they r done Wink

Baking I bake on 375 for approx 35 min just check when the outside rim starts turning brown. I let them continue to sit in a turned off oven for about 10 min. And then they come out fully brown. Very appealing especially to kids Tongue Out

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 11:08 am
Tefilah, my purp. Lub. cookbook is packed; is the sweet and sour recipe you use half marina sauce, half cranberry sauce?

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 12:39 pm
I make broiled salmon fillets. Make a marinade with brown sugar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce in a large zip loc, then place fillet pieces in and coat. Marinate for 1/2 hour or more. Pour all into a pan and arrange pieces. Broil for 10 - 15 minutes. Covered if you like them soft, or uncovered to get a little crispy edge.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 5:50 pm
SaraG wrote:
A roll of fish takes two hours

Two hours? the package of Unger's says to cook it for one hour

1) I defrost a box of sole or flounder and separate the pieces on a disposable broiler pan. Sprinkle with onion salt and paprika, coat with mayo. Broil. Yum.

2) defrost the loaf and add an egg and a dash of pepper

fry as patties (about 11 per loaf)

then add an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce plus another 8 oz. of water and simmer for 15 minutes

Yum

3) sautee diced onion, garlic, 3 carrots, 2 stalks celery (pepper), 3 small zuc

add 2 and 1/2 Tbls brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt 15 oz. tomato sauce

completely unwrap fish loaf and place in pan (with some oil to coat pan)

put vegetables on and around fish loaf

bake 30 min. covered at 400 and another hour uncovered 325
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics