Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Making a sephardic shabbos lunch
1  2  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:11 am
any ideas?

we have already: israeli salad,hummos, tehina, pita, grape leaves, chulent.

I want 1 more main thing and a dessert

greeneyes

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:44 am
How about lach majheen? Yum.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:56 am
can you describe?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:24 am
A typical Sfardi meal, as I know it (Moroccan, Tunesian) will have the salatim (not lazy ones, but real veggies cooked and spiced and diced to perfection) and chamin. They don't go heavy on meat or kugles as the chamin is enough. If you must have more, then maybe a few chicken legs. Dessert can be fruit, fruit salad and/or dried fruit + nuts. You can put out cookies too.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:30 am
Well, "sephardic" describes pretty wide range. Typical shabbat lunches may include
Yemenite: jachnoon with hilbe, tomato dip and zchug
Moroccan carrot salad (either cooked or grated), dafina (broth and barley/wheat/potato served separately), moroccan fish casserole (white fish, tomato-based sauce with corriander, olives)
Tunisian dafina has chopped fried spinach and sausages/meatloaf (sometimes with hard boiled eggs in the middle)
Iraqi: tebeet (stuffed chicken with rice), SABICH (pita sandwich with tehina, sliced boiled eggs, aubergine), beet salad
Syrian: lots of dips, definitely bazergan (bulgar dip with ketchup, tamarind, chopped onion and parsley), brekas.
Spanish: pescados fritos (fried white fish in batter, served room temp), adafina, tortilla (potato-onion omlettes)

Let me know if you want recipe for any of the above (except for jachnoon, which I buy prepackaged).

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:40 am
how do you make the jachnoon? my sister makes it in the oven overnight, which obviously we cant do on shabbos. we were thinking about that

DH found a recipe for lachmijan, but Im not sure if it is correct.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:41 am
I suggested perhaps a chicken tagine...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:41 am
lachmagine is a smallish round dough that's topped with tomato+tamarind-ey minced meat and pine nuts. It's really best when it's freshly baked, but ok to make in advance and reheated.

Dessert--fruits, dates (soft chewy ones), rice pudding with orange flower or rose flower. If you're into making things, you can actually make baklavas with filo dough and ground nuts quite easily.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:42 am
Look up a recipe for the jachnoon. Why can't you make it? The Teimanim have it every week heated up. Some people I know put it in the cholent. It's like malawach dough, only rolled up. Flour, fat and more fat Very Happy

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:43 am
YESHASettler wrote:
But how can she heat that up? And if she leaves in on all night, it may as well be called.... chamin! No?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:44 am
we are having voer a nonjewish friend who is doing a paper for her world religion class on judaism. we want to make sure that we represent a cross section of judaism so we are doing a general ashkenazic dinner (ie our usual stuff) and decided on general 'sephardic' for lunch. we only have her for 2 meals!!!

we are having over a disenfranchised Jews, a reform Jew, us (MO), non-descript Chossid, and Lub between the 2 meals (my conservative sister was invited, but her kibbitznuk husband wont come to a meal with a Muslim woman [even though she is African-American granddaughter of a Christian preacher])

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:44 am
so make it before, and it wills till be good if we reheat on a blech?? should we slow cook?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
But how can she heat that up? And if she leaves in on all night, it may as well be called.... chamin! No?

I've had not very saucy tagine before...

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:47 am
Oy, it sounds like too much work to me. You can make whatever you want and call it what you want, no one will know the difference.
The jahnoon can be brought frozen and either heated on the blech or put in the cholent all night. It's dry.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:50 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

DH found a recipe for lachmijan, but Im not sure if it is correct.

Lahmagine consists of:
chopped meat
tamarind sauce
minced onion
cinamon
allspice
tomato paste
lemon juice
salt

Mix above ingredients and put on dough--either homemade or store bought and bake on 350* for about 20-25 minutes.

Tell me if you need exact measurements.

Last edited by Lady Godiva on Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

racheleezzy

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:56 am
do you have access to the prepackaged stuff? dh loves cigars and kibbe but I have no idea how to make it and to be honest its just easier to buy it pre made.....

imato5

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:59 am
cAN I HAVE THE RECIPE FOR THE MOROCAN FISH CASSEROLE PLEASE?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 1:43 pm
Sefardic as in "non Ashkenazi" is even much larger than Ashkenazi, and already it's not like they eat the same in Russia, Romania, Germany or North Italy. Just saying.

Soph

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 2:54 pm
here.. ill give u my regular menu and u choose from there...

hummus
tajina
full mdamas (read bean or fava bean salad)
taboule
israeli salad
syrian potato salad
yabrak (grape leaves)
olive dip
lajmageen
kibbe fil senie

jamin (its df from chulent, due to the ingredients)
baked spaguetti with chicken (its awesome...allspice...tomato paste...cinamon...mmm)
chicken and potatos (sounds plain vut its ohh so good)

getalie (its like cubed jello (special made with orange blossom water, cornstarch), a refreshing juice syrup kinda thing,almonds and pistachios)
marzipan
fruit platter

why dont u gice the book "aromas of aleppo" a glance...its fantastinc,and it has what u are looking for

Soph

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 3:00 pm
I have a rcipe for morrocan fish...

take 2 potatos peeled and sliced thin...fry in a lttle olive oil until golden, place in the bottom of a pyrex.
take 6 or 7 white fish fillets and cut them in half... season with salt pepper, paprika and place on top of the potatoes... to this add.... 1 tomato diced fine, 1 onion diced fine, I red bell pepper sliced thinly, a can of rinsed chickpeas (scater all this on top of the fish)
mix 1 cup of olive oil, 3 tablespoonsof paprika, salt pepper and as much red pepper flackes as u like (my people like it incredibly spicy)...mix and pour on top of the fish...
bake covered on 350, for 45 minutes to an hour...
enjoy!!

awesome with challa!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics