Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I eating too much ?
Previous  1  2

miriam

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 12:57 pm
It also depends on your activity level. Are you nursing, OP? I don't know the exact number but you should aim for around 1800-2000 calories a day. If you are eating less than you are burning, you have a chance at losing the weight. Try to keep track of what you are eating. Fats can add up to be many calories.

This website might help you http://www.sparkpeople.com

granolamom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 2:14 pm
Quote:
It's actually best to eat before you're hungry. Most people that eat when they're hungry will wind up over eating.

I know that's what they say, but it doesn't work well for me. If I eat before I'm hungry I have a hard time knowing when I have had enough. I dont like to measure food, I prefer to let my body tell me how much I need. Usually I know what I need but when I start to overeat and I notice I am gaining, I know that I'm eating too much. so I go back to the 'eat only when hungry' mode for a few days until I am sure I am eating only what I need. make sense? I have no idea if it would work for others, but it works for me.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 6:03 pm
Ok perhaps background will help. I was always very slim not thin always ate this way perhaps even worse. I do have a couple of kids here and there but since I turned 30 I just keep gaining per kid. My metabolism can't be that messed up. I am scared b/fore long I won't look womenly Crying
I can live without all this food if I didn't have a husband or couple of kids here and there around, but since they are boruck hashem I have to give then=m there foods which become mine too

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 9:23 pm
have your thyroid checked. I gained 25 lbs before my underactive thyroid was detected.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 5:44 pm
Definitely stop eating your kids leftovers! Even if you do nothing else you may see a difference just from that. From experience, unaccounted for food (ex. kids leftovers) can amount to hundreds of calories per day!

What Elise does is great. Personally I can't wait so long between meals as my blood sugar dips down too drastically. I find that eating 3 medium meals and 2 small meals a day works best. I'm still trying to lost another 8 pounds or so, but I've kept off almost 20 for years.

BTW, plain oatmeal with some fruit and cinnamon (sometimes I even add a little plain yogurt for more protein) can be a very quick, easy, low calorie, and very satisfying breakfast. I eat it EVERY DAY!

cl

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 8:48 am
I like the sound of the oatmeal w/ cinnamon

goldrose

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 9:25 am
no, you're not eating too much. I can't imagine why you would be overweight. and all those foods are perfectly healthy. Also, don't bother exercising. Not even housework, get a cleaning lady.

(plenty of sarcasm)
umm...what do YOU think??!

Not all of the time, but MOST of the time, people are overweight because they eat too much.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 10:23 am
imaamy wrote:
Why does someone need to use amother for diet advice Question

Because a year ago she made the cover of Vogue, and now she's embarrassed that she's put up 45 lbs. and doesn't want you to know who she is! Very Happy

carrot

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 1:10 pm
goldrose wrote:

Not all of the time, but MOST of the time, people are overweight because they eat too much.

I would say the source of the problem is WHAT you are eating, rather than the amount. It is very hard, almost impossible, to over eat on healthy food.

I would advise you to simply cut out all refined sugar and flour - you will find that the only way to satisfy your hunger will be healthier things, and that your body will know when it is the right amount and you will not want more.

willow

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 2:20 pm
carrot wrote:
goldrose wrote:

I would say the source of the problem is WHAT you are eating, rather than the amount. It is very hard, almost impossible, to over eat on healthy food.

Very Happy sorry carrot but thats not true, in fact a person can still become fat from over eating on healthy foods.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 2:20 pm
Yup. A calorie is a calorie.

carrot

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 3:05 pm
Yes, if you over eat you might gain weight but what I am saying is that it is MUCH HARDER to over eat on healthy foods. Try it.

By healthy food I mean really healthy, not just healthy style. No white bread, no sweetened yogurt, no brown sugar in the oatmeal, no soupmixes, stay away even from mashed potatoes.

Someone told me today that Overeaters Anonymous views sugar the way Alchoholic Anonymous views alchohol. I understood that to mean that they see it as the root of the problem, the thing that leads to over eating, and avoid it completely.

And no, not all calories are created equal. The idea that there is such a thing as an "empty calorie" is a myth too. When you eat sugar it is not just an extra calorie that doesn't contribute anything useful, it actually sucks vitamins out of your system.

I think "Eastern thought" has a lot to offer when it comes to nutrition. They see things more in context while we Western types tend to look at things in isolation. When you look at calories just in the sense of being calories, yes, they are the same. But when you look at the foods with a wider perspective they are often quite different and have very different effects.

For example orange juice versus orange flesh. They seem to be quite similar. Yet eating oranges is good for almost anyone and I would not say the same about orange juice. Even in the exact same calorie amount.

BTW a problem with sugars - they lead to cravings of more sugar. That is just one example of a negative effect that is not expressed in the amount of calories.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 11:56 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
imaamy wrote:
Why does someone need to use amother for diet advice Question

Because a year ago she made the cover of Vogue, and now she's embarrassed that she's put up 45 lbs. and doesn't want you to know who she is! Very Happy

That could be me, except for the Vogue part...... embarrassed

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:47 am
Of course its harder to overeat on healthy food. If its hard enough to eat it in the 1st place, kal v'chomer, to overeat it!
And if it were so easy and delicious to eat healthy food, most of us wouldn't have these issues in the 1st place.

willow

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:27 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Of course its harder to overeat on healthy food. If its hard enough to eat it in the 1st place, kal v'chomer, to overeat it!
And if it were so easy and delicious to eat healthy food, most of us wouldn't have these issues in the 1st place.

But healthy food can be delicious. Confused And you most def. can overeat on it.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 4:44 am
Quote:
But healthy food can be delicious. And you most def. can overeat on it.

Yes, healthy food can be delicious, but also expensive and time consuming. And maybe you can overeat healthy food but it definitely won't have the same negative effects (sp?) as overeating the chicken I make for shabbos or slices of pizza.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 9:09 am
ummm....seriously...anyone ever went on a brown rice and veggies binge?
yeah, ok, I admit, I have once in a while. But if that were a really drippy yummy potato kugel, it would be much harder to stop after one serving.... Wink

carrot

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 9:09 am
What I see about myself is when I don't eat junk food for a while, I start appreciating the taste of healthy food and it truly is more delicious and tempting than any junk.

But once I fall off and eat a little junk, it makes me want to eat more and more. This is even when it is not the most tasty stuff. I mean, are potato chips really that heavenly? But it is so hard not to finish the bag.

On the other hand healthy food does not have that effect on me, even when it is truly delicious.

It is true that junk food is sometimes much easier to prepare. You often don't have to prepare it at all. While for most healthy food you have to plan ahead at least a little bit. And it can be more expensive. But I don't think in this day and age that's the reason that it's hard to over eat on it!

(Thanks MommyLuv)

happymom

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 9:15 am
Quote:
And you most def. can overeat on it.

its true!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise