Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stovetop potato kugel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:28 pm
It depends on the food prc. My old one made a better grated kugel, but this one makes a better gound kugel.

Ronit

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:31 pm
I have the braun.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:16 pm
stove top kugel is delicous we used to make it only on Pesach and it was gone before it hit the table. It's not the most healthy though as you need alot of oil.

yummydd

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:23 pm
Just wondering how do you flip it?

Ronit

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:25 pm
Cover the pot with a plate. Flip onto plate. Slide back into pan.

yummydd

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 11:00 pm
I once tried using the special pot for it, the two frying pans connected with a hinge but when turning it over all the oil leaked out... Will this not happen when I do it with the plate?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 11:03 pm
yummydd wrote:
I once tried using the special pot for it, the two frying pans connected with a hinge but when turning it over all the oil leaked out... Will this not happen when I do it with the plate?

Don't put any oil in the batter. Place the oil in the pan and heat.
Add batter.
Don't flip the kugel until the bottom is browned and the bottom of kugel has soaked up all the oil/when the non-stick pan is dry.
Add a bit more oil to the pan before sliding/flipping it back into the pan.

yummydd

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 11:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
yummydd wrote:

Don't flip it until the bottom is browned and the bottom of kugel has soaked up all the oil/when the non-stick pan is dry.
Add a bit more oil to the pan before sliding/flipping it back into the pan.

Thanks, I cant wait to try it it sounds yummmm. It will have to wait till next week though as I am not being home this shabbos iyh.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:37 am
yummydd wrote:

I have that pan, too. You used too much oil.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:46 am
chocolate moose wrote:
yummydd wrote:

I have that pan, too. You used too much oil.

My mother has that for pesach and I often made potato kugel in them. I never had that. It sounds like CM is on to something. Stovetop kugel does require a BIT more oil because it needs to lightly coat the pans but I think you can even use just a little and wipe it around with a paper towel.

Ronit

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:56 am
It doesn't leak when I do the plate, even when last time I made it, it had a bit too much oil. If you are afraid it will leak, use a bit larger plate than the size of the kugel. Then drain the extra oil into the sink before sliding it back into the pan.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:57 am
Actually, I find that the stovetop kugel requires LESS oil than a baked kugel. I consider it a diet item !!!

pobody's nerfect

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:35 pm
I'm really sad Sad
I followed ronit's recipe to a T and it came out gross. looks like a big latka, and the inside doesn't seem cooked enough.

sigh.

I just want a perfect potato kugel- oven or stovetop. the search continues.

pobody's nerfect

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:37 pm
FTR, the kind of kugel I'm really searching for is like the kind they have at kiddushes. really thick, not with shredded pieces, crunchyish top and gooey inside....

will I ever find it?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:52 pm
Instead of flipping, you could just broil the top until done.

It needs to cook a long time, you know - ad yes, it's like a big latke. And yes, it's going to be soft - but we like that !

Ronit

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 3:15 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
I'm really sad Sad
I followed ronit's recipe to a T and it came out gross. looks like a big latka, and the inside doesn't seem cooked enough.

sigh.

I just want a perfect potato kugel- oven or stovetop. the search continues.

I'm so sad. But hey, why you badmouthing me here- you only tried my recipe, you didn't taste my kugel! LOL

Your gonna have to pay me a visit, cuz it is GGOODD!

Can you tell us step by step what you did?

solo

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 4:54 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
FTR, the kind of kugel I'm really searching for is like the kind they have at kiddushes. really thick, not with shredded pieces, crunchyish top and gooey inside....
will I ever find it?

im pretty sure caterers dont make thier kugels in a pot
so what ur asking for- kugel in a pan, and what u want - catered style kugel, r 2 different things.
I think my kugel is really delicious (and im not the only one LOL ) and sound like what ur interested in.
to get the results u want ull need 1. a generous amt of oil, 2. lots of oven time.
my basic ratio is half as many eggs as potatoes +2 more and 1 onion (unless its a huge amt of potatoes)
so 5 potatoes = 3 or 4 eggs + 1 onion,8 potatoes = 6 eggs + 1 onion
this week I used 5 potatoes, 3 eggs, 1 onion.
pour a generous (1/3 cup?)oil into pan.place in oven. preheat the oven to 450.
while oven heats grate onion and potatoes into bowl containing eggs.
add salt and pepper. mix.
pour most of the hot oil from pan into potatoe mixture. mix.
pour into pan.
bake @450 for 30 min. then redue heat to 350 and bake for 1:30.
at this point u will have a good crusty kugel.
if u want the inside really done - overnite stye - at this point u can cover the pan. return to 250 oven and leave it till shabbos. or overnight.

I like my kugel tall so I make it in a tall pan and fill it up. also I think it comes out much better in a pyrex pan.

the only person I know who was able to make a tall kugel in a frying pan without a terrible mess is my grandmother. no secret recipe just skill. ive tried it several times with dissapointing results.
ive had pan fried kugels from others several times and it does look and taste like a giant latke. which isnt a bad thing. but if u like it taller and more well done the oven is your friend.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 8:37 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:

will I ever find it?

I know someone who makes the most delishes gooey potato kugel. It has loads of eggs and oil, but it's delicious.

9 medium-large potatoes (average loose sized potatoes) OR 1 (5 lb.) bag potatoes
9 eggs
1/2 onion
1 cup oil
salt to taste (lots!)
pepper to taste

Bake uncovered at 425 for about 1 hour.

Ronit

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 9:58 pm
Ra_mom How does it get goey in just one hour?

In my experience, it's not the eggs that matter, just good potatoes & long cooking/baking time.

You can also add some water to the kugel after 1-1/2 hours of baking to give it more moisture. After awhile in the oven, that translates to goey.

I think potato kugel is like challah. It's not so much the recipe that matters, how you do it-like the science of it LOL .

Pobody, which FP do you use?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 10:08 pm
Ronit wrote:
Ra_mom How does it get goey in just one hour?

Don't know. You just bake until the top is nice and brown. About an hour. Could be an hour and a half.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes