Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stovetop potato kugel
Previous  1  2  3

Ronit

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 7:13 pm
You tried this yourself?

I always start my kugel the first hour on 450 (with preheated oil), & then lower it, but it's never goey & well done in an hour.

Btw PN the pyrex is great for potato kugel in the oven. The bottom gets crispy too.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 7:16 pm
Ronit wrote:
You tried this yourself?

I always start my kugel the first hour on 450 (with preheated oil), & then lower it, but it's never goey & well done in an hour.

Btw PN the pyrex is great for potato kugel in the oven. The bottom gets crispy too.

I haven't made this lady's recipe myself recently. I dug up the recipe from long ago. We used to love it when she would send over a pan every Erev Shabbos!
But I did make the KBD traditional kugel this year (left out the sugar), and baked it for 1 hour at 425 and it was great.

Levtov

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 11:26 pm
Here's a good tip for the perfect consistency for potato kugel. Use two blades. Half with the tiny holes and the other half with the shredder (like thin lakshen). Try that next week.Also, a tiny drop of vit. c powder keeps it nice and white.

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:58 am
ok, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I was... um.... thinking about pesach cleaning.

ronit, I was definitely not bashing you! I'm sure your kugel comes out amazing when you make it. sometimes you need to watch someone though to make sure you're doing it exactly the same. I feel like it needed more oil. I also think the type of potato makes a difference. my friend's mother uses a mix of idaho, red, and yukon gold and it's incredible. I sometimes use idaho, other times white. is there a kind that is best for kugels?

I think I'm going to go back to searching for oven kugels. they seem to be less of a patchka, and that's good when you have an energetic 5 month old to entertain. plus, that is the texture I'm really trying to achieve. I just figured that if I couldn't get it perfect, I may as well try the stovetop kind which I've eaten before and liked.

I've received a ton of recipes from people in my quest, so I'll just be trying out each one til I find one I like.

I do like the idea of adding water toward the end of cooking, and will probably try that soon. oh, and my food processor is the cuisinart 14 cup and I hate it because the bowl gets stuck and I have to call my husband in to wrench it off every time.

anyhow, thanks everyone for your advice!

solo

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 4:01 pm
my favourite potatoes for kugel r red potatoes with 1 or two idaho added to the mix.
my mom thinks youkon gold r best as well - but I think theyre to heavy and r best plain roasted.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes