Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Ajin dough: Jachnoon/Jochnun recipe

Amital

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:19 pm
First, make the ajin dough (this is the basis for jachnun, subyah, miloach, etc.)

(Mine is adapted from a Gil Marks recipe)

Makes about 12 jachnun.

8C flour (plus more for kneading)
1t baking powder
1-2 T sugar
----
1 stick margarine or samneh
---
3t salt
2t mild vinegar (I use plain white)
Approx 2.5C water
----
1.5 sticks margarine (or 3/4 cup samneh for dairy)

Mix up the first three, then cut in the margarine and mix until it looks like fine crumbs. You can do this in a food processor or with two forks/knives. Then mix together and add the next three ingredients and knead until smooth. This is a really, really nice dough! Very silky. Divide into about 12 balls and rest in the refrigerator. I usually do overnight, but at least 30-60 minutes.

Roll each ball out individually to about a 9 inch square. Spread surface with 1 T margarine/samneh. Fold in thirds (lengthwise), then into thirds again (widthwise). You should have a square. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes-2 hours.

Repeat rolling/folding/resting process with each dough square but without adding any more margarine. Then repeat again and again, for a total of 3-4 times. 4 is recommended, but I have sometimes done 3.

This is ajin. I wrap each square individually in plastic wrap and freeze some, then thaw overnight before making (I usually make a few batches of this at a time every 3-4 months). You can also make it from the fresh dough.

For jachnun, I roll it out just a little and then roll it into a spiral diagonally. I put however many I'm using into aluminum foil and put it into my chamin (cholent). Serve with zhug, hard boiled/roasted egg, and tomato.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:21 pm
Um... I think you forgot to mention that samneh is clarified butter, for those not in the know.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:31 pm
I don't know, but maybe where I got it they make it lousy, but it was so bad that I had to spit it out. That was the only time I've had it. Does it actually taste good?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:31 pm
If I don't know a word, I just google it.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:34 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I don't know, but maybe where I got it they make it lousy, but it was so bad that I had to spit it out. That was the only time I've had it. Does it actually taste good?
Maybe they used bad fat/margarine. It's delectable, but (as you can see from the amount of fat in the recipe), a killer.

Amital

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:58 pm
To be honest, I don't really like it. But then again, I don't really like a lot of the foods my dh loves. And he loves this! So it's a to each their own kind of thing, and I make jachnun for the sake of Shalom Bayit! Smile

Amital

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 5:05 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Um... I think you forgot to mention that samneh is clarified butter, for those not in the know.

Thanks Tamiri! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics