Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Need Recommendation Mishpacha or Binah for Recipes & Whe
1  2  Next

Binah or Mishpacha for Recipes Which Week
Binah 03-29-2010 (from your experience)  
 40%  [ 2 ]
Mishpacha 03-29-2010 (from your experience)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Binah 03-22-2010 (from your experience)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mishpacha 03-22-2010 (from your experience)  
 20%  [ 1 ]
Binah 03-15-2010  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mishpacha 03-15-2010  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Binah 03-08-2010 (I'll have to beg subscriber or imamother to share)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mishpacha 03-08-2010 (I'll have to beg subscriber or imamother to share)  
 20%  [ 1 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
None!  
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

YummyMommy

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 2:54 pm
Every year I 'splurge' on buying the Mishpacha and/or Binah for the recipes before some of the Yomim Tovim, especially Pesach. But last year by the time I bought it they didn't have recipes, or they weren't the good ones. I don't need the Seder Table decorations, just don't have time for that, and I have too many cleaning tips, Just DO IT - works best for me LOL So I really want to try to get the issues with good recipes.

If you have one or the other, please let me know how you rate the recipes, and also say which week it's from, so I can run out and buy it if it's good. Hoping it's not too late yet.

Also, are there any other mags worth buying?

I hope it doesn't sound crazy embarrassed but at $4 a pop I don't want to buy it to see it isn't what I wanted.

mrgigglesmom

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 4:14 pm
I generally buy the bina if I stay home for shabbos it keeps me busy most of the day - but I barely ever find a normal recipe... I love to cook and patchka in the kitchen, but nothing exotic!!

solo

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 4:19 pm
last weeks mishpach had the pesach recipe insert.
I didnt see any recipes worth trying.

YummyMommy

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 4:27 pm
Thanks for the input. The issue I saw in the store this morning must have been last weeks Mishpacha. I guess I'll pass for now.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 4:46 pm
I usually splurge before yom tov too, but for the reading. I did see IIRC last week's Mishpacha which had the Pomegranate recipes. Not my cuppa for the most part. Usually I find the Mishpacha recipes more up my alley (past winners include meat stuffed potato kugel and strawberry apple crumble). Btaiavon!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 6:19 pm
If you want any of last week's recipes from the Mishpacha Pomegranate insert, let me know.
tilapia in white wine, beef and eggplant moussaka, pecan crusted salmon, cream of tomato soup, grilled turkey cutlets with citrus glaze, veal spareribs, asian chicken stirfry, mini carrot muffins, asian coleslaw, sweet n white potato stacks, apple crumble, poached pears in red wine.

Annie

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 6:29 pm
hey, if anyone has the recipe for the strawberry apple crumble, and it was good, please post it, sounds yummy

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:11 pm
you're probably better off browsing the recipes on here.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:19 pm
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/

Click on "Recipes" (on the left). Then, click on "Pesach" and you will find TONS of recipes Smile

wanderer

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 10:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you want any of last week's recipes from the Mishpacha Pomegranate insert, let me know.
tilapia in white wine, beef and eggplant moussaka, pecan crusted salmon, cream of tomato soup, grilled turkey cutlets with citrus glaze, veal spareribs, asian chicken stirfry, mini carrot muffins, asian coleslaw, sweet n white potato stacks, apple crumble, poached pears in red wine.

ra_mom, do you mind posting the cream of tomato soup and the apple crumble?

Thanks Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:45 pm
colorful! wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

ra_mom, do you mind posting the cream of tomato soup and the apple crumble?

Thanks Smile

Sure!

Cream of Tomato Soup
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic (2 cloves)
1 (30 oz.) can tomato juice
2 (9 oz.) cans tomato sauce (a bit more than 1 cup)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup red cooking wine
6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Pesach farfel
1/2 cup nondairy creamer, optional
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Pour half of the olive into a large pot and set the rest aside. Heat the pot over a medium flam, add the onions and garlic, and saute them until they are golden. Add the reserved olive oil and tomato juice, tomato sauce, sugar, wine, water, salt and pepper. Bring this to a boil. Add the farfel. Lower the flame and simmer for 1 hour.
Swirl the creamer into the soup before serving, if you wish. Garnish with chopped parsely.

Apple Crumble
apple filling:
5 green apples, peeled and diced
5 red apples, peeled and diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1/4 cup oil

crumb topping:
2 boxes ladyfingers
1/4 cup (2 oz./50 grams) margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 box Pesach crumbs (non-gebrochts coating crumbs)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Combine all apple filling ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
Mix crumb topping ingredients well, until a crumbly batter forms.
Grease a 9x13 inch pan well. Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture over the surface of the pan. Spread the apple mixture over the crumbs. Evenly distribute the remaining crumb mixture over the apples.
Bake for 1 hour, or until the surface of the crumble seems firm and is lightly browned.

dolphin

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:46 pm
just splurge on both magazines each week. You deserve it.

Merrymom

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 11:21 pm
Between my sister and I we made a few Mishpacha recipes last year. We did not enjoy them. I like going to Recipezaar, I always find good recipes there especially Mirj's.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 11:35 pm
This week's Mishpacha has good recipes. Traditional minimal ingredients.

YummyMommy

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 2:34 am
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks! for posting the recipes and the recommendations.

I know I can search the internet etc, but I do like the articles in these magazines as well... so if I have the recipe excuse... and I get extra reading material - I'm happy!

Also for recipezaar how do you 'know' if they are good recipes?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 2:42 am
YummyMommy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I know I can search the internet etc, but I do like the articles in these magazines as well... so if I have the recipe excuse... and I get extra reading material - I'm happy!

Why don't you ask for recipes here? Tell us what type of dishes you are looking for.

(Btw, the recipe's listed in this week's Mishpacha Family First were for orange glazed flanken, pesach duck sauce, shredded root vegetable patties, marinated roasted peppers, stuffed capons, pesach stuffing, squash coins, meat with carmelized pearl onions, squash saute, sweet potato chips, chicken in sauce, pear and nectarine crisps, orange and wine baked salmon, pesach tomato dip, and mock baba ghanoush.)

YummyMommy

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 2:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
YummyMommy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Why don't you ask for recipes here? Tell us what type of dishes you are looking for.

(Btw, the recipe's listed in this week's Mishpacha Family First were for orange glazed flanken, pesach duck sauce, shredded root vegetable patties, marinated roasted peppers, stuffed capons, pesach stuffing, squash coins, meat with carmelized pearl onions, squash saute, sweet potato chips, chicken in sauce, pear and nectarine crisps, orange and wine baked salmon, pesach tomato dip, and mock baba ghanoush.)

Wow, those sound good. Do you mind posting the recipe for Pesach Stuffing and the Orange and Wine Baked Salmon and the mock baba ghanoush. Thanks for all the effort.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 3:14 am
YummyMommy wrote:
Wow, those sound good. Do you mind posting the recipe for Pesach Stuffing and the Orange and Wine Baked Salmon and the mock baba ghanoush. Thanks for all the effort.

Sure!

Pesach Stuffing
2 onion
2 green zucchini squash
2 potatoes
2 carrots
1 small celery knob
2 Tbsp oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1/4 cup sifted potato starch

Peel all vegetables. Thinly grate all of vegetables (recommended to grate by hand since vegetables in the food processor tend to be watery).
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium flame. Add the grated vegetables and saute for 15 minutes. Transfer them to a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, and sifted potato starch (it must be sifted over the vegetables or it will clump.)

Orange and Wine Baked Salmon
4 salmon fillets or slices
mayo, for spreading
1 onion, cut into rings
salt and pepper
additional spices of your choice and minhag
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup dry white wine

Preheat oven to 350.
Wash the salmon well and place in baking dish. Spread a thick layer of mayo over each piece. Layer onion slices over the mayo and sprinkle with spices of your choice. Pour the orange juice and wine around the perimeter of the pan.
Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.

Mock Baba Ghanoush
1 large eggplant
1/2 small yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minhag permitting
1 egg
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
2 cups oil
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400.
Use a fork to pierce the eggplant on all sides. Cover with foil and place it on oven rack. Bake for 1 hour, or until it is completely soft. Let it cool.
Slice the cooled eggplant in hald and scoop out the interior. Set aside 3/4 cup eggplant meat for this recipe. Use the rest for other recipes.
In food processor or blender, blend the onion, garlic (if using), egg and 1 Tbsp of the lemon juice until it is bery thoroughly blended. Gradually add the oil in a thin stream until it emulsifies. The consistency should resemble mayonnaise. Season with salt. Add the 3/4 cup of eggplant. Blend well. Add the remaining lemon juice and salt to taste. Season with a bit of crushed black pepper.
(Do not add more than 1 Tbsp lemon juice in the beginning or the mixture will not emulsify well.)

#1cook

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 3:40 am
ra_mom wrote:
YummyMommy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

ra mom thanks for the salmon recipe I think I'm going to try it

also do you mind posting the orange glazed flanken, & chicken in sauce recipes THANKS Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 8:23 pm
#1cook wrote:
ra mom thanks for the salmon recipe I think I'm going to try it

also do you mind posting the orange glazed flanken, & chicken in sauce recipes THANKS Very Happy

Here you go!

Orange Glazed Flanken
6 strips flanken on the bone or spare ribs
1-1/2 cups Pesach duck sauce (recipe below)
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder, option

Preheat oven to 350.
Place flanken in 9x13 pan. Combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl and pour them over the meat. Cover and bake for 2 hours. Uncover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes.

Pesach Duck Sauce (most requested Pesach recipe ever)
1 Tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely diced
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup orange juice
2 tsp potato starch
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in frying pan over medium flame. Add onion and sugar and saute 10 minutes. Stir constantly until until the sugar becomes syrupy. Add ginger, lemon juice, orange juice and potato starch to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking the sauce until it thickens.

Chicken in Sauce
3 Tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
4-5 cutlets
3 heaping Tbsp potato starch
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
dash of black pepper
4 cups water
2 stalks celery, optional
6 cloves garlic, optional

In a low, wide pot, heta the oil over medium flame. Add the diced onions and saute them until they turn light brown. In the meantimes, cut the chicken into small strips or nuggets. Add them to the browned onions and fry on all sides until they turn white. Then add the potato starch and stir constantly, until it is well incorporated. Add the spices and water and bring to a boil. Add the stalks of celery and garlic cloves (if you use them on Pesach). Lower the flame and simmer for 45 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Stire from time to time serve over mashed potatoes.

Can use chicken on the bone, and adjust cooking time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics