Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Wish I had a good meringue recipe for Pesach .....

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 6:01 pm
I searched here but came up empty-handed. Anyone ?

abismommy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 6:19 pm
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat whites halfway, add sugar. Continue beating till glossy & stiff. Put into gallon ziploc bag. Cut off the tip and pipe onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake @ 275 for 1 hr.

You can add some cocoa, mini chocolate chips, coconut, whatever you like.

ETA: embarrassed embarrassed just realized you don't use sugar or vanilla...sorry!
I'll leave the recipe for other people.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:56 am
Still looking?

Meringue Cookies
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat over to 250 degrees F. Beat egg whites until they hold their shape but are still soft. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon onto foil lined cookie sheet. Bake for 1 hour.

http://kosherfood.about.com/gi....._.asp

(Variation: Eliminate chocolate chips, make larger cookies and use small glass to make medium-sized indentation in meringues before baking. You will now have meringue shells to fill with sorbet, mousse or fresh fruit for a "fancy" dessert.)

shanie5

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 3:38 pm
If u want to make it even easier, do them right before bedtime.
preheat oven to 400 while preparing the meringues. when ready to put in oven, turn it off, place meringues in, go to sleep. wake up in morning and take them out.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 4:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:

(Variation: Eliminate chocolate chips, make larger cookies and use small glass to make medium-sized indentation in meringues before baking. You will now have meringue shells to fill with sorbet, mousse or fresh fruit for a "fancy" dessert.)

I make meringues all the time, but never thought of making shells like that. I will put it on my list for the future (this year for the first time ever we are only home the 1st 2 days so there isn't so much cooking -- even though it is for 14 adults and lots of little kids).

Thanks for the idea.

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:42 am
Meringue really doesn't change from year round. It does, however, require sugar. If I'm not mistaken, you can use sugar BEFORE Pesach starts, and the item remains KLP, right? So yeah, egg whites and sugar. And a little bit of lemon juice (you can obviously use fresh squeezed) to stabilize the meringue.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:21 pm
I made the plain ones. they look pretty good.

don't they have to sit in the oven overnight ?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I made the plain ones. they look pretty good.

don't they have to sit in the oven overnight ?
The recipes that call for the oven to be preheated and then turned off before placing the trays of meringues in the oven, usually call for you to just leave them in the hot closed oven overnight.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:51 pm
Oh ? I wonder why.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:55 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Oh ? I wonder why.
It makes life easier for some, to just pop it in and forget about it.
You can use that method if you prefer.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:59 pm
If you want to use that method during the day, just leave them in until the oven cools down. They are ready then.
Overnight just makes it easier to feel like your accomplishing while sleeping too 8) .

SivanMom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 11:28 pm
I'm in middle of making this recipe (posted ages ago) and I'm wondering how long is it supposed to take to get stiff, and will I know that it's stiff? I'm really clueless when it comes to baking, but I'm (trying to) make these for my mother's birthday party tomorrow. Does anyone out there know?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 6:48 pm
SivanMom wrote:
I'm in middle of making this recipe (posted ages ago) and I'm wondering how long is it supposed to take to get stiff, and will I know that it's stiff? I'm really clueless when it comes to baking, but I'm (trying to) make these for my mother's birthday party tomorrow. Does anyone out there know?
Sorry, just saw this now.
You know stiff peaks have formed when tiny little peaked mountains form on the whip attachment.
Basically, when you can turn over the bowl, literally, and none of it falls out, you have a stiff snow, and are ready to make snow kisses and bake them.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 7:40 pm
it's a problem if it never stiffens. you can still use it but it's not the same.

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:29 am
It helps to have the egg whites at room temp. I a pre heated 360° oven. Turn off and then leave in a minimum for 2 hours. I use a t of lemon juice per 2 egg whites. I run the sugar through my food processor first for Measure after because some turns to dust.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics