Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Throw away..

Soph

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:47 pm
Can I halachically throw pictures away?? pictures of people...of me...my dh...etc

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:49 pm
You betcha!

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:46 am
No absolutely not. You must never throw away pictures. They must sit in your closet for eons so that you can spend hours looking through them every time you clean. They play a vital role in your embarrassment when you have teenage children.

And you were throwing them away?
What were you thinking?

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:17 am
Soph, what did you think the halachic issue was? Or was it just a matter of feeling odd by throwing away pictures?

Soph

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:01 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Soph, what did you think the halachic issue was? Or was it just a matter of feeling odd by throwing away pictures?

I dunno I guess I felt odd.... I dont know hoe to explain it, it will sound ridiculous anyway but I felt like its erasing that person, an image of that person, aka tzelem Elo..
sounds weird bubt I had to ask...

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:04 am
ok...I thought you may have heard something and weren't sure.

I know what you mean. Destroying a pic of someone doesn't feel right to me either... I don't think there is a halachic problem at all...but it is more like a superstitious feeling I guess.

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:32 am
I know exactly what you mean that it feels wierd to throw pictures away! But think of it this way - we are constantly throwing away pictures of people - from babies to prominent rabonim, when we throw away magazines, newspapers and advertising materials. That sort of "prooved" to me that it's ok to throw away pictures. But I still don't always feel comfortable - maybe it's a hangover from a different generation when pictures were rare and valuable. B"H for digital photography! Ever since I switched from film to digital, I only print the ones I like.

louche

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 11:58 am
I know what you mean. In some cultures it's forbidden to photograph people b/c they believe you trap their soul in the picture. We don't believe that, but even if we did, people are not G-d. We're forbidden to erase G-d's name, and only G-d's name. Pictures of people are not Shemos.

I shred photographs before throwing them out b/c I don't want anyone fishing the pix out of the trash and using them for illicit purposes...like showing them to a kid and saying "I'm your Great-Uncle Itzik...see, your Bubby gave me a picture of you to keep in my wallet."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions