Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Online Clothing Stores

Hadassah81

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 2:52 am
I was interested to know if people do or would shop online for tznius clothing?

I ask because a) I do/did and b) I now have my own online clothing store, and am trying to gauge how to get the word out and ensure ladies are comfortable shopping online at my store. I already have local ladies who come to my home.

Would love comments/opinions Smile

lizard8

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 7:58 am
Your question is kind of broad, because amothers are from around the world. Most of those who live 'in town' probably prefer to buy in stores. They can look at the real product and try it on at the spot. If they decide they like it, it can be taken home instantly.
OOT'ers might not have as many options for tznius clothing. Either the one jewish shop has few products (who wants to match all their friends, mothers friends and kids?) or has highly inflated prices. They might prefer to buy something different that they like and wait a few days for it.

OP, I see you are from Australia. Their are probably not too many amothers from your continent. Even if all the others would be interested in your clothing, how would it work out with shipping. I can imagine the cost would be quite pricey and it would take longer than average nationwide shipping. In addition, if the buyer doesn't like the product, more shipping costs would need to be paid to return it.

I guess my point being -find out from people in Australia if its a good idea. We probably can't help too much.

Hadassah81

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 8:03 am
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not advertising per se, so I'm not worried that the answers arent coming from my target market as such. I was just curious what different people think, and their opinions on buying online. I do it all the time, and given how hard it is to find tznius things here, I have definitely brought things from American stores online.

But I just wondered if perhaps I am not so common and that buying online is not something frum women do as a rule? Or what would stop a woman from shopping online for example?

I do ship to the States on request tho Smile Post from here to the States is more reasonable than the other way. But then, I do import stuff IN from the States, so only my Australian stuff would be of interest to women in the States anyway.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 2:31 pm
Hadassah81 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not advertising per se, so I'm not worried that the answers arent coming from my target market as such. I was just curious what different people think, and their opinions on buying online. I do it all the time, and given how hard it is to find tznius things here, I have definitely brought things from American stores online.

But I just wondered if perhaps I am not so common and that buying online is not something frum women do as a rule? Or what would stop a woman from shopping online for example?

I do ship to the States on request tho Smile Post from here to the States is more reasonable than the other way. But then, I do import stuff IN from the States, so only my Australian stuff would be of interest to women in the States anyway.

trying on and the fact that it costs $ and is a hassle to send back

Hadassah81

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 9:28 pm
Ok excellent. So that would mean you would never consider buying online? Or if there was plenty of info (measurements for each size etc) you might consider?

The $$ do you mean postage? Would you consider if it was free postage? What would be the max postage you would consider? Sometimes if the set up is online the actual product is cheaper than you would get in stores anyway?

Thanks for the feedback Very Happy

anonymom

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:43 pm
I would love to check out your online store. Can you provide an address?

OldYoung

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:49 pm
I just wanted to say that I love your site! Everything looks so nice, and it's so neat and easy to use. Very Happy

I don't usually buy clothing for myself online because I like to try things on first, but buy baby/kids things online all the time!

Grandmama

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:50 pm
I purchased several outfits from Ricci online. I am very happy with them. They were reasonable, well made, they fit well. Their shipping fees are reasonable. But I did see them in local stores first at higher prices.
It is difficult to buy without trying on. And if returns are expensive or a hassle, it makes people think twice.
Shoe companies online that offer free shipping and free returns do well because of that guarantee.
But many stores are online. They must be doing well if they continue to run an online store.

anonymom

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:56 pm
I also bought a lot at Ricci online. Once you know your size, their stuff is all basically the same pattern with variations in fabric, so it all fits the same. Also, it's not very fitted (tight) which I like.

OP, please share your website.

6coop

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 11:23 pm
anonymom - you can see her website by clicking on the www under any of her posts, but here's the link:
[link removed as per our no free ads policy]

Hadassah81

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 1:24 am
I really appreciate the feedback and the compliments on the site. I've poured every cent I have into this business. I'm hugely passionate about tznius and making tznius clothing affordable and attractive to women and young girls. So it means a lot that you like the site.

I am considering a free returns policy - I currently ship express for $8.50 so it can be tracked, but I am loosing money on postage in most cases at that price already. If I did free returns, my profit margin is so small....but maybe, just to increase awareness of my store and products. Mean time, I do a lot of hunting for specific things for people, at least that way word of mouth will be that I am a ral person, contactable and helpful...

I didnt put the link up because I cant afford to advertise here yet and thought it might be a bit underhand to put the link in the post. I didnt realise it showed up in my signature?! Oops, I feel a bit rude now.

newatthis

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:02 am
Can you make a sale or a womens event at the local Australian shul? Lots of people will see your flyer and they can try stuff on and will feel more comftorable ordering from the website in the future

Hadassah81

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:41 pm
Sorry newatthis I didnt reply to you.

I had to giggle becuase Australia is an enormous country, and you said the local AUstralian shul and I was thinking the next closest shul to the couple in my area is about 1500km away! But anyway, yes, I have local women come over and try things on and see the stock, but I cant afford to make a 4+ hr flight to the other coast to physically show women over there the stock. Guess I just have to rely on local word of mouth making its way over there.

Thanks for the advice tho - I am working on some other ideas for locally.

suzyq

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 1:53 pm
I love shopping online and wish you were in the US!

melsg

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 10:55 pm
I do 99% of my clothing shopping online.
the stores I buy from most are ones who list the lengths especially! (I am tall and have a difficult time getting things long enough!)

Hadassah81

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:16 am
Thanks for the feedback.

I am in the process of measuring everything for length now actually. I am a midget - ok, not quite a midget, but short, so I like length measurements too. But my supplier does not, so I have to measure each skirt in every size. Oh well!! Guess earning a living doesnt come easy, loL!

rivka6

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 9:59 am
sorry this is a late entry, but I love shopping on line! I live in an area with very few frum type stores. I just need to see colors, sizes, lengths, listed. I have ordered from Israel, I would order from Australia if it was painless to convert money prices. Good luck!

Atali

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:28 am
As someone who actually owned a home-based clothing shop (not online) in Australia, here is my advice:

1. Online shopping doesn't seem to be done as much in Australia as it is in America, so you may have a bit more of a challenge. Also consider that the Melbourne Adass community doesn't use the internet but yet they are the most likely to be interested in purchasing specially-made tznius clothing.

2. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Get people in Melbourne and Sydney to put up signs at all of the bakeries and similar shops

3. Specialize - This was my big downfall. I tried to sell too many types of things and didn't do a good enough job of any of them. The girls' items that were most requested were skirts (especially if you can offer ones that adass girls will wear, since those are not available in the regular stores), really high-necked summer tops, and nightgowns (I have never seen tznius girls' nightgowns in Australia and I know plenty of people who were looking for them).

4. Find someone in Melbourne and Sydney to stock some samples for the non-internet-shopping people.

5. Charge really reasonable prices. You can take advantage of the fact that you are too small to have to charge GST to make your taxes lower.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics