Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Didn't sterilize bottle- toss milk?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 8:21 am
To make a long story short, I forgot to bring the pumping bottles with me to work yesterday. I bought new bottles to pump into, but didn't sterilize them. Should I throw out the milk that I pumped into them, or do you think it's not so terrible to give to my 6 month old?

drumjj

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 8:30 am
if they are new I wouldnt care the point of sterilizing the bottles are to get rid of the milk bacterias in it. if previously its not had milk then its not a big deal.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 8:57 am
OP-

're supposed to sterilize them before first use though (according to everything I googled). I would toss the milk just to be safe, but I don't have backup- so it would mean formula, which is fine, but not if I actually have perfectly good breastmilk.

drumjj

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 9:04 am
I never sterilzed a new bottle. nothign happened to my daughters

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 9:08 am
I would use it unless the child was immune compromised.

I pumped for my preemie into washed, but never sterilized bottles. The NICU doctors said that sterilizing wasn't necessary.

Breast milk is naturally antibacterial, so it is less of an issue than formula would be if it is an issue at all.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:48 am
at 6 months old, the baby is probably picking things up (from the floor) and putting them in his/her mouth. sterilization of a bottle is minor next to what a baby manages to put into his/her system. I wouldnt worry.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:50 am
I wouldn't worry either.

SivanMom

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 11:12 am
Other than before passing on pumping bottles to someone else, I never sterilized a bottle, ever. My two kids seem to be fine.

louche

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:31 pm
I never sterilized bottles a day in my life after the pedioatrician told me it was necessary only in places where the water supply is not reliably safe.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 5:35 pm
thank you all! just wanted to make sure I'm not being a horrible, neglectful mommy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics