Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Not getting the same pluses

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:16 pm
I just moved and was b'h able to take my job with me, so I work from home, in communication with my old office.
In the actual office there are alot of pluses to being there. They buy lunch once in a while, and other things.
I'm trying hard to be jealous every time I see an email, everyone go pick up a slice of pizza.
I was wondering if I can write some sort of letter to my boss like. 'hey, don't forget about me. can I have a gift certificate to a pizza shop here too once in a while.'

How can I phrase it nicely?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:18 pm
Ask away, but I doubt you will get anything. You're working at home in your pajamas, at your own pace - you're doing much better than someone who has to get dressed, commute, maybe pay for a sitter, cleaning lady, & take out food every so often.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:28 pm
I don't think I would say anything either, but I am not sure why CM thinks that people who work at home don't need help with their childcare, cooking, and cleaning duties. Yes, you do gain by not having to commute. Personally, I found working at home ten times harder than working in the office, although I am sure it depends on the particular position you hold. It was much easier for me to keep my house clean when I worked outside the home. Also, I know plenty of work-at-home mothers who must hire full-time childcare and find it difficult to keep food on the table.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:30 pm
I wouldn't say anything.
I think the fact that you can work at home is a greater plus than a free slice of pizza.

anuta

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:34 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Ask away, but I doubt you will get anything. You're working at home in your pajamas, at your own pace - you're doing much better than someone who has to get dressed, commute, maybe pay for a sitter, cleaning lady, & take out food every so often.

When working at home, one WORKS, not watches her kids, cleans and cooks!
So there is no saving money on a sitter, cleaning lady or cooking there....

STovah

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:37 pm
By working at home, you save money on commuting and childcare for time spent commuting - that would buy me many many slices of pizza.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:38 pm
Believe it when I say that your coworkers are probably more jealous about your work status than you are about theirs. Most companies will only have their elitist work from home. Just think, you don't have to necessarily get rushed into showering and dressing yourself in the morning, no more driving in rainy, snowy or otherwise ill weather. No more traffic stresses. You can work when you're feeling sick and take off when the weather is nice and you want to have a little family outing. Don't be surprised if some of your coworkers resent you for getting to work from home. So there will be times you miss out on some work related parties, nosh or days off due to weather, but for the most part you are getting the better end of the deal. Consider yourself one lucky lady!

prettyone

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:39 pm
definately dont say anything. Pizza is really just Pizza. the benefits of working at home outweigh all the pizza in the world. besides your boss might think your petty.

besides part of working in an office is the lunches, get togethers, holiday parties etc.

its understood that when your not at the office your not going to get that. How would they even send it to you? fed ex?

sky

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:40 pm
I wouldn't say anything

I would guess what you save on commuting and work clothes and paying a babysitter for commuting time, and the time flexibility is woth a lot more then a slice of pizza.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:42 pm
and you were able to keep your job. That's a big plus in my book.

Basimcha

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:45 pm
I understand what you are saying, but I wouldn't say anything about it! Working at home has different advantages and disadvantages from the office-the slice of pizza is one example.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:46 pm
yoshi wrote:
Believe it when I say that your coworkers are probably more jealous about your work status than you are about theirs. Most companies will only have their elitist work from home. Just think, you don't have to necessarily get rushed into showering and dressing yourself in the morning, no more driving in rainy, snowy or otherwise ill weather. No more traffic stresses. You can work when you're feeling sick and take off when the weather is nice and you want to have a little family outing. Don't be surprised if some of your coworkers resent you for getting to work from home. So there will be times you miss out on some work related parties, nosh or days off due to weather, but for the most part you are getting the better end of the deal. Consider yourself one lucky lady!

Also, don't think any of us are discounting that you may feel a little left out or sad at times, but Once a month hubby has to drive into work, and every time he gets home, he wonders how he ever managed it before working at home Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 3:00 pm
Wow. I didn't realize there would such an outpouring of the same opinion.
I love working from home and yes, there are tremendous amount of priveledges.
Thank you all for your opinions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers