Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Mattisyahu cool new Rapper
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Motek

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 6:23 pm
daggy?

roza

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:29 pm
Matis was by us recently and I went with my non [yet] frum young sister (thanks for the idea , zun Thumbs Up ).
it was great! Music plus me and my sis really enjoyed going somewhere together. Lady Lady

hadasa

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 6:11 pm
Motek - daggy is Australian for nerdy.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 8:18 pm
Hadasa now how would you know that? 8)

Rivka

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 5:15 pm
I think it's great that you can get someone who is singing Jewish music and making it street. Problem with most Jewish music is that it is 10 years old. There needs to be something for people especially teens to want to listen to it.

mommy2

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 8:23 pm
I think such a singer sets the tone for confusion. To say that this is what the rebbe wants is totally in my opinion wrong!! I think the ppl are laughing at him not excited with him. Ppl r like oh cool look at that, hes coming to us for our music. I think there is something wrong with his hashkofos! This is not what chabad represents! Could u imagine if your daughter went to watch him in that audience bc hes a lubavitch singer????!!! Ppl look at him as a frum Jew and think this is acceptable way for a frum Lubavitcher chossid to act! Its still respectable that he became frum and spoke like that about shabbos. You have to respect that part but I think he needs guidance. The Rebbe wants us to to bring the world to a higher level, not us going down to their level by singing their rap, and dancing and shaking their ways and then say ye, I keep Shabbos! To me this isnt acting like a Lubavitcher chossid! Afrum chazzan-Yossel Rosenlatt was offered a job to sing in non Jewish concert and refused the offer of lots of money-thats a kiddush hashem!

supermom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:23 am
I agree with you one million percent I have seen them by weddings and I think it is a disgrace.

supermom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:26 am
I can't believe it!! I just heard it this is what every one is going crazy over? now this is defintly crazy!!!

supermom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:31 am
what type of kiddush hashem could he be making working with a muslim guy? And what type of way is it to spread yiddishkeit in a new heights if you can't even understand what he is saying?

zkalan

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 10:38 am
He is performing this motzei shabbat in Jacksonville, FL @8:00pm, If anyone lives near for more information about this Chabad event, contact Chabad of N.E. FL 262-6641, via Email Rabbi@chabadJacksonville.org Chabad @ the Beaches by phone at (904) 285-1588, by E-mail at info@chabadbeaches.com, or the JCA at 904-730 2100 info@jcajax.org

Rivk

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 11:25 am
hmmmm... It just doesn't seem tznius to me.

Motek

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 1:33 pm
Shlock Rock, Matisyahu, Piamenta, Moshe Yess - all have their place

I know that the Rebbe gave brachos to the Piamentas and Moshe Yess for their music

the problem is when parents raising frum kids, introduce music that is not meant for born and bred frum kids, to their kids, when their born and bred frum kids should be listening to nigunim and other appropriate Jewish music

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 2:01 pm
I am still slightly confused he seems a very aidela boy with full garb etc performing in a nightclub with girls dressed as who knows what. And point being all or most of them quite drunk! See I understand if it would be a reg concert, there people are half sane.... but a nightclub a pub Confused

Anyway as far as the fruma chevra goes I agree with motek conc listening only to music that will increase our yiras shomayim. But for people still growing in yiddishkiet he can do phenomenal things in bringing them closer Exclamation

Rivka

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 3:09 pm
Hmm, the video didn't play for me, all I saw was the guy on a show singing and that was it, I didn't hear his comments after. The whole question of would you sing on shabbos was a bit pointless, it's not like anyone actually really offered him 4 million to sing on shabbos, so what was he proving there?
The other thing,saying in the middle of nowhere that the Lubavitcher Rebbe told him to do this was a joke? When was he told that, in a dream? When he was 9? It becomes laughable and makes Lubavitch one big joke, so sorry, not kiddush Hashem. It just makes people think he is a loony nutcase.
The music is cool though if you like rap, but then again I don't like reggae or rap. Anyway, who says the guy he was with was Muslim? Could have been Indian or half cast, so what's with the "oh it isn't right, because he's with a muslim bloke" uuh look up the rascism thread.
Apart from that, I don't see a problem in a Jewish guy making CDs of music of songs he wrote, but to say it's for the Rebbe, now that is going a bit far.
Why can't he just say "I did it, because I like music, and I like doing it".

Rivka

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 3:12 pm
sorry I didn't explain, I managed to hear the thing on someone else's computer, but mine doesn't work on it.

Aish

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:27 pm
[quote="Rivka"]
Quote:
The other thing,saying in the middle of nowhere that the Lubavitcher Rebbe told him to do this was a joke? When was he told that, in a dream? When he was 9? It becomes laughable and makes Lubavitch one big joke, so sorry, not kiddush Hashem. It just makes people think he is a loony nutcase.

he never said that. where did you get that from? sounds like YOUR computer has problems!
dont misquote.

Aish

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:29 pm
Motek wrote:
Quote:
Shlock Rock, Matisyahu, Piamenta, Moshe Yess - all have their place

exactly right

Quote:
I know that the Rebbe gave brachos to the Piamentas and Moshe Yess for their music

thats true

the problem is when parents raising frum kids, introduce music that is not meant for born and bred frum kids, to their kids, when their born and bred frum kids should be listening to nigunim and other appropriate Jewish music

this is what my hubby said.
matisyahus work is more to bring pple closer to yiddeshkiet.

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 6:49 pm
smart man your hubby Wink

Aish

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 7:41 pm
Motek wrote:
smart man your hubby Wink

thanks Wink

luv2bamom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 7:54 pm
I happen to think he IS doing a great thing for the pple he is doing it for! True it is not an appropriate place for another Lubavitcher to go whatch but he's not doing it for Us he's doing to bring others to an awareness of G-D, my hubbie heard one of his songs and said its amazing there is an entire mamer in one song and these pple who are listening DO understand the words, though I cant make out a single one Tongue Out Ive actually heard of quite a few amazing strories of pple becoming frum b/c of him so I do think he is doing what the Rebbe wanted by using the talent he has to make the world a better place and ready for Moshiach!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics