Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Mattisyahu cool new Rapper
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Aish

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 8:09 pm
youngmom wrote:
I happen to think he IS doing a great thing for the pple he is doing it for! True it is not an appropriate place for another Lubavitcher to go whatch but he's not doing it for Us he's doing to bring others to an awareness of G-D, my hubbie heard one of his songs and said its amazing there is an entire mamer in one song and these pple who are listening DO understand the words, though I cant make out a single one Tongue Out Ive actually heard of quite a few amazing strories of pple becoming frum b/c of him so I do think he is doing what the Rebbe wanted by using the talent he has to make the world a better place and ready for Moshiach!

THATS RIGHT! Thumbs Up

baby's mom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 8:21 pm
I'm waiting for the 9 days to be over to check him out.. Confused

Aish

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 8:35 pm
baby's mom wrote:
I'm waiting for the 9 days to be over to check him out.. :?

let me know what u think!
we like him, although we dont let the kiddies listen. just me and my hubby, when we get the chance.

carrot

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 11:04 pm
I am a big fan of Mattisyahu! He makes music. For me, that is a good enough reason to listen to him.

Once, I saw him perform in person. I enjoyed it very much.

I guess that's all I have to say about this.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 12:32 am
Quote:
He makes music. For me, that is a good enough reason to listen to him.

This can be said of anyone. Does this mean you in now way screen what you listen to? How about your kids? Do they also listen to anyone who "makes music"?

baby's mom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 1:05 am
I have mixed feelings about this.
It bothers me that I can't understand what he is saying.. Confused
Is it Torah stuff? Is it just stam words??? Rolling Eyes

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 1:19 am
I agree with Aish and Motek, for those who want to become frum, it's excellent, for those who are born and bred frum, it doesn't do a thing.
In general, I don't like rap, depends what, but usually it's too wild for me.

carrot

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 10:44 am
Quote:
This can be said of anyone. Does this mean you in now way screen what you listen to? How about your kids? Do they also listen to anyone who "makes music"?

Actually, no, this canNOT be said of anyone. A lot of what passes for Jewish music is really just noise.

He is a frum Jew, speaking from his Jewish soul, about Jewish ideas, so I don't perceive the danger in anyone listening to him.

Quote:
It bothers me that I can't understand what he is saying..
Is it Torah stuff? Is it just stam words???

I can understand what he is saying, and it is actually very deep and real and Torah ideas.

In my opinion it speaks much more to the Neshama than a lot of Jewish "music" which is nothing more than a random Posuk smashed to fit some unoriginal tune.

technic

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 10:53 am
im a fairly weird person but this is WAY 2 weird 4 me - I just cant reconcile the "sound" w the "picture" - but im glad it makes him happy!

1stimer

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 2:30 pm
Quote:

im a fairly weird person

Thats a ... nice way of putting it! Very Happy

BlumaG

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 2:34 pm
he is singing songs he madeu p the words to about chassidus, he also sings some lubavitch nigunim

technic

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 2:56 pm
1timer its better if I say it b4 someone else does !!!Wink

1stimer

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:36 am
yes technic, that way you can put it nicely Wink

technic

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 7:18 am
xactly! (and didnt I do well)

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 7:48 am
Quote:
technic wrote:
im a fairly weird person but this is WAY 2 weird 4 me - I just cant reconcile the "sound" w the "picture" - but im glad it makes him happy!

LOL LOL

mommy2

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 8:40 pm
to me this music is like putting treif food in a kosher wrapper to make it kosher and maybe adding a few kosher ingredients(treif music in chassidic clothes), I think its quite confusing, how can we have 2 kinds of music 1 for bt and 1 for frum ppl and when do u switch over from bt to frum??

carrot

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 8:50 pm
how would you define kosher music vs. treif music? is it the tune, the lyrics, the singer, the audience?

Last edited by carrot on Wed, Aug 17 2005, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy2

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 8:55 pm
mostly the tune, think about how it makes u dance,, definitely not very jewish!

carrot

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:05 pm
how does mattisyahu make you dance? it definitely has a rythm and it gets me moving but I did not notice that it makes me dance in any un-tznius way (hip swiveling etc.)... but I am actually listening to it right now so I'll pay extra attention and get back to you.

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:36 pm
mommy2 wrote:
I think its quite confusing, how can we have 2 kinds of music 1 for bt and 1 for frum ppl and when do u switch over from bt to frum??

what's so confusing? do you think that not-yet-religious Jews would appreciate the London Pirchei? Modzitzer or any niggunim? Dveikus?

Do you think that children born in frum homes need to hear Piamenta? Variations? Shlock Rock? dare I say - Miami?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics