Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Mattisyahu cool new Rapper
Previous  1  2  3  4

carrot

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 10:10 pm
Motek wrote:
mommy2 wrote:
I think its quite confusing, how can we have 2 kinds of music 1 for bt and 1 for frum ppl and when do u switch over from bt to frum??

what's so confusing? do you think that not-yet-religious Jews would appreciate the London Pirchei? Modzitzer or any niggunim? Dveikus?

Do you think that children born in frum homes need to hear Piamenta? Variations? Shlock Rock? dare I say - Miami?

maybe it's confusing because we don't usually decide right and wrong based on what people would appreciate.

and what if you have a child who was born in a frum home but does not appreciate pirchei, niggunim etc. could they then move into the same category as what you call "not-yet-religious" jews? do they now "need" to hear piamenta etc.? if not, why not? what's the difference?

(btw I think you would have to define "not-yet-religious" rather drastically if it is to include all those who "still" listen to piamenta, miami, etc.)

I just finished listening to the cd again. I did not notice any "hip-swiveling" music. maybe "head-nodding" music (or whatever you'd call that motion) but what is un-tznius about that?

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 10:23 pm
carrot wrote:
maybe it's confusing because we don't usually decide right and wrong based on what people would appreciate.

this is not a matter of right and wrong

and yes, we do make decisions about matters of yiddishkeit based on where a person is holding, for example - irreligious people tend to appreciate being told about lighting candles before Shabbos but are unlikely to want to hear about the melacha of borer. What do we do? We start with candle lighting because that's what will work.

Quote:
and what if you have a child who was born in a frum home but does not appreciate pirchei, niggunim etc.

thanks to their parents ...

let's not make the same mistakes with the next generation

Quote:
could they then move into the same category as what you call "not-yet-religious" jews? do they now "need" to hear piamenta etc.?

I don't think they "need" it.

They might want it. Wants and needs are different ...

carrot

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 10:38 pm
Motek wrote:
carrot wrote:

this is not a matter of right and wrong

and yes, we do make decisions about matters of yiddishkeit based on where a person is holding, for example - irreligious people tend to appreciate being told about lighting candles before Shabbos but are unlikely to want to hear about the melacha of borer. What do we do? We start with candle lighting because that's what will work.

Wait, so is it like Shabbos or not? Shabbos there IS right/wrong but the person cannot accept it yet. Music is that way or not?

Quote:
Quote:
and what if you have a child who was born in a frum home but does not appreciate pirchei, niggunim etc.

thanks to their parents ...

let's not make the same mistakes with the next generation

I don't know if you can "blame" the parents. Every new music genre that starts, starts with people liking it WITHOUT their parents teaching them to like it. So people can have innate music preferences and tastes.

Plus, kids go to school, camp, to visit friends, carpool in other people's cars, etc. They hear things. They experience. They think. They don't live in the vacuum. Nobody does. That is why I question this binary division of music listeners.

Quote:
Quote:
could they then move into the same category as what you call "not-yet-religious" jews? do they now "need" to hear piamenta etc.?

I don't think they "need" it.

They might want it. Wants and needs are different ...

Nobody "needs" any music then.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics