Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tip a babysitter?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 11:33 am
Here's the issue

I share a babysitter with a neighbor in my building. we had a russian woman (not frum) to babysit both kids. Since both kids are older now we want them to be in a frum environment.
Now, I don't want to be stingy however I am very tight in $$$.
the question is if it's an acceptable practice to tip after the year is over? ( we did buy her a gift for chanukah) she gets paid $10 per hour and we hardly gave her housework.

again if need be I'll survive the $25 I'm just wondering if I can get away with it.

also my neighbor does want to tip in cash and give a gift.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 12:36 pm
In a store, if the service is done by the owner, you don't tip.

Here, if you want to give a gift (of money) fine. I just don't think you have to, that's all. It's not holiday time after all, when it's more expected.

JMto2

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 1:35 pm
I would not tip but I would give her a memory of your kids maybe give her a picture in a nice frame with a thank you card I do not think more is needed.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 1:37 pm
I've never tipped a babysitter b4. I usually send my kids to a babysitter, but one summer I did split a russian babysitter- with a neighbor, she was at her house, but when I stopped using her I didn't tip her. I don't think a tip is necessary.

queen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:10 pm
I don't tip, however many times I add onto the check at the end of the week. (I guess that means tipping, but I don't look at it that way LOL)

I also try to bring her something home baked every once in a while and a token at yom tif time. She is taking care of my precious baby and I want her to give ultimate care to the baby while she's being watched. ( I want her to have a positive feeling towards my baby)

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:28 pm
queen ,

OP wrote that she is leaving this sitter and going to a different one.

I agree with u queen on tipping the sitters was the best thing I could of done (it's scary to see how effective it is...)

I don't always tip with money. bringing ice cream on a hot day ...

queen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 11:54 pm
can you be straight with your neighbor stating that you'd really prefer NOT to hand out extra cash at the moment but that you'll be baking her a cake? (wont cost you more than a couple eggs, flour and sugar.)

withhumor

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 2:42 pm
If you are leaving, a parting tip would be very nice. A gift is lovely too. If cash makes you feel funny, buy a gift certificate (share it with the neighbor) and even it out to a sweet number, say $40

It is recommended that you tip for holidays the amount that you pay per week. Let’s say, if you use this babysitter randomly, then you would pay only how much you pay on average for a one-time service. But if you pay by the week, give a weekly wage as a give. If this is a beauty salon, you pay for a holiday gift how much you pay on average per service. This is all of course, if you are very close to them and use them very often. Do not tip for holidays and such if you rarely use them. Good Luck !

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 4:06 pm
Quote:
also my neighbor does want to tip in cash and give a gift.

So tell your neighbor as far as a gift you will give but asfar as a tip you are apying her enuf already.

I don't Exclamation I supply food, drinks, phone, a good supply of books when they babies r sleeping. I pay her a good sitter fee so why on earth do I have to pay more??? Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics